best booster choices?

A

atthehip

Hello,
We're about to make a shift with our carseats, and I was looking for some thoughts! None of our kiddos are tall or at risk of growing out of seats by height.

We have an almost 9yo, 52 lbs, currently fitting fine in a Britax Parkway. She has a Jupiter booster in gma's car.

We have an almost 7yo, just hitting 48lbs, now outgrowing her Grace 48lb'er...she has a 47lb evenflo in gma's car.

Our 4yo is outgrowing her FPSE (yes I know, expired but we've had since new, no accidents) now that she's just hit 40 lbs...same seat in gma's car. She'd obviously move into the above harnessed seats to 47/48 lbs.

We have #4 on the way for June.

I need to move our 7yo into a booster - can't afford to buy two new 65 lb seats for both cars, and at her age, it's time. We have a '96 ply voyager.

One of my questions is, is it safer to have my near 9yo in a high-back or low-back booster being that we have headrests (it'd be my 9yo I'd move into a low-back if given the choice)?? The two oldest would obviously be in the back seat of our van (my mom has the same van, just a couple years newer). I've heard both arguments as to which is safest - high back to protect head and torso, low back to have less movement in crash from seat. Any thoughts here? I saw that Zellers has the Compass booster which is $20 cheaper than the parkway. Any thoughts?
Thanks
Cindy

ADS

QuassEE

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Much of the added benefit from a high-back is for cars that don't have headrests, for younger children who still fall asleep in the car and need the extra support but are too heavy for a harnessed seat, and for side impact protection for seats with such an option. I think it's more than reasonable for your 9 year old to be moved into a low-back booster, considering you have headrests.

For your 7 year old...I'm shocked that 7 year old is outgrowing Evenflo and Graco combination seats. They don't last most kids beyond 5, in my experience. Wow...you got your mileage out of those seats. But it sounds like she's old/mature enough to be in a booster, but will benefit from the additional support of a full-back. I can't remember if Jupiter seats have an expiry date, so you might want to check on that. They were never a seat I really got into. But the Parkway will do your 7 year old well for another couple of years, anyways.

Sounds like you have it covered, but will need some new seats for the new baby when the time comes!

-Nicole.

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
:yeahthat:

I'd be fine with your 9 yo going into a backless booster.

The new baby will definitely need some new seats. The Graco SafeSeat1 is a great infant seat. It is an infant carrier that goes up to 30lbs and approximately 32". It will last most kids somewhere between 18 months - 2 years old... although if #4 is anything like your others, you will probably see at least 2 years old out of it. ;)

Jewels

Senior Community Member
:yeahthat:

We have an almost 7yo, just hitting 48lbs, now outgrowing her Grace 48lb'er...she has a 47lb evenflo in gma's car.

Our 4yo is outgrowing her FPSE (yes I know, expired but we've had since new, no accidents) now that she's just hit 40 lbs...same seat in gma's car. She'd obviously move into the above harnessed seats to 47/48 lbs.
Echoing everyone else but wanted to mention that for forward-facing (FF) seat that the harness straps must always be at or above the shoulders. If the shoulders are above the top slots, the middle of the ears over the shell of the seat or the weight limit is reached then the seat is outgrown.

Also, even though you have had the FPSE since new and it hasn't been in any collisions if it is expired it is still not safe to use. Manufacturers put a DOM on seats because they breakdown after time.

Congratulations on the new baby!

atthehip

Hi all,
Thanks for your feedback thus far! I appreciate it.

A few things to run by you...

I'm a bit confused by expiry dates of carseats...I looked it up and as far as I understand, Transport Canada recommends a 10-year expiry date unless the seat is labeled otherwise. Is that wrong? I don't have the seats in the house but I'm fairly positive that the FPSE are 1999 or 00 (gma's) and 2001 (ours) for the date of manufacture, but I don't believe they have expiry dates listed. I'm super hesitant to give these up since they are extremely easy to use with the built in lock-offs and super sturdy...haven't found anything like them since! I do have a Britax RA dated 3/01 that was given to me which I don't think has an expiry date listed either?

I'm aware of the shoulder height limits for forward facing. My girls have all started out heavy (last two were 9lb 3oz and 9lbs12oz), gain weight quickly (are in an infant seat for only a few months typically if they go to 22lbs) but then even out in weight for a looong time. They are short of stature for age. ;) So my almost 9yo was in the 48lb graco until she was around 7 also. They've never outgrown a seat in height; only weight.

As far as an infant seat, I'm a bit hesitant to buy something new since my kiddos have been in them for such short periods of time (3 mo at most). I suppose a 30lb infant seat might last longer but I'm not one of those who pops it in and out of the car since I use slings all the time. So once they are big enough I feel better having the seat belted straight in in a rear-facing convertible since they've done better in crash ratings as far as I've seen compared to those with bases? The infant seat iteslf isn't a convenience factor for me if that makes a difference!! My girls have all stayed rear-facing until 30lbs, usually well past 2 if not 3. BUT we are planning to have one more child after this one, likely around 2 yrs apart. Maybe that would help with planning?

What I currently have infant-seat-wise is the FP SIV and honestly I'd have to take a look to see the manufacture date. Cost is somewhat prohibitive of course but I'm happy to hear all suggestions as we have some time to make decisions and save. If I have to get rid of some seats then I'd rather do it now than store them! lol One of my issues is that since cost *is* an issue, I'd hate to get rid of better quality seats in lieu of cheaper quality new ones. I honestly hate our graco in comparison to the FP because it seems so flimsy in comparison, doesn't fit as well with our seatbelts, and I have to mess with a locking clip every time I move it. I'm grateful to have the kiddos in 5-point for so long though, no question.

Thanks!!

QuassEE

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Transport Canada started saying 10 years prior to manufacturers stamping an expiry on their seats (which started about 10 years ago.) It was to get all of the really ancient seats out of circulation, since those would *never* have an expiry date stamped into them, would they? So people would keep using them, and using them...

When in doubt about expiry, contact the manufacturer of the seat, as I am sure you would rather err on the side of caution. Transport Canada is notoriously outdated. The good news with regards to your Fisher-Price seats is that FP seats did have an 8 year expiry, per FP. There's a six year expiry on Britax seats, per Britax. Almost every seat on the market today has a six year expiry. The only exceptions coming to mind right now aren't even sold in Canada...

Also keep in mind...Think for a moment about the *majority* of seats from 10 years ago. I can do this quite easily, since I have a 12 year old and a 10 year old. I cringe. They were shielded seats, had three-point harnesses, had 20lb RF weight limits, and 40lb FF weight limits. We've come a long way in keeping kids safer in the car over the last 10 years, and we will come even further in the next 10. That right there is perhaps the best argument for obeying expiry dates.

As far as your new baby goes--you don't need to use an infant seat, so long as you have or can find a suitable convertible seat...something that isn't so large that a newborn isn't secure in it (eg. the Marathon--most babies swim in those bottom slots for at least the first few months and Britax advises no more than 1" below the bottom slots)... Or if you can borrow an infant seat that is fairly new, hasn't been recalled, has a clear crash history, ideally is a 5pt harness, and fits well in your car then you can buy a convertible later on.

Are the "crash ratings" you're referring to archived versions of Consumer Reports tests? There were a batch of seriously flawed CR tests about a year or two ago, and CR continues testing seats for their magazine..However, CR has *NEVER* released video or even stated methodology for their testing. We are completely in the dark as to their methods, and whether or not they're even installing seats correctly before testing them. True, a base is an additional point of failure but the trade-off is that there's a serious reduction in install errors; Since the base is installed into the car almost permanently parents aren't constantly re-installing their infant seats with the belt--which increases the chance of making an install error.

Keep in mind that when you do destroy your expired seats, make sure you don't leave them curbside. People will pick them up and use them. Take a sledgehammer to them, take them to the fire department and ask them to crush them, or pick them apart and dispose of them in your regular garbage piece-by-piece. Most husbands enjoy an excuse to destroy something :)

-Nicole.

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
My first was in an Evenflo bucket (22lbs/26") that he outgrew just before 5 months. My second was in a Graco Snugride (20lbs/26") that he outgrew at 5 months. He outgrew my friend's Snugride (22lb/29") at 10 months. He would have outgrown the SafeSeat1 (30lb/32") at about 23 months old (by height, he was 26lbs at that time)... that infant seat really does last a long time.

The SafeSeat also has built-in lock-offs and is super easy to install. I know you said you don't need the convenience of a carrier, but IF you got the SafeSeat you would only need to buy a second base for Gma's vehicle and it would switch back and forth quite easily.

The FPSE in your vehicle will not expire for another two years (FP is 8 yr expiry)... the one in Gma's vehicle is just expiring or will expire next year, so her vehicle will need a new seat regardless.

The 1997 Voyageur has locking seatbelts... you do not need a locking clip. They are called lightweight locking latchplates and they lock the lap portion of the lap/shoulder seatbelt only. The shoulder portion still moves freely. The locking mechanism is on the buckle and automatically locks when the lap/buckle/shoulder portions are all parallel to each other.

You can verify this by sitting in one of the backseat positions that has a lap/shoulder belt. Buckle up the belt and pull all the slack out of the lap portion of the seatbelt. Now pull straight up on the center of the lap portion. It will not loosen until you have physically moved the buckle so that the lap/buckle/shoulder portions are not parallel to each other.

I agree about the PP's comments on Consumer Reports... they are not respected in the CPS community for the reasons listed.

There are a few seats that fit newborns well.
Sunshine Kids Radian
Evenflo Triumph Advance (should be out in the new year)

If you have another 9 lber you may get away with using a Britax Marathon as well.

There are lots of different things to consider with who sits where and which seats will fit once you have 5 children. Where are the tether anchors in your vehicle? They would have needed to be installed after the fact, since they don't come directly from the factory installed.

atthehip

Hello,
Thanks again for all of your input. I'm relieved to hear that the FPSE (at least the one in our car) should be good for another year. I'll check the actual dates on them all.

Our Voyager is a '96 - not sure if that applies to the lightweight locking latchplates or not. I'm not very familiar with how those work - does anyone have any links to pictorial explanations?

The Safeseat definitely sounds interesting. Perhaps I'll see if I have their lengths/weights in their baby books far enough ahead to get an idea of how long it might last for us. Since we could plan for our last baby to use it, it might be worth it.

We have tether anchors (3) in the middle row. Chrysler says that we can't get them in the back although my dad would do it if necessary. We've never gone without tethers in any vehicle - always had them fitted.

I tried to work it out - honestly by the time we have 5 we may have to re-evaluate our vehicle just because of that annoying lap belt in the middle back which limits our options with 5 children (I'm certainly not willing to use that outside of securing a carseat, and I doubt a carseat would fit well between two boosters). Not to mention by then it'll probably be time to move onto a newer (used) van anyway, and we'll just make sure to get one with all shoulder belts.

My thoughts on carseats over the next years were:

2008: 0yo (?), 5yo (Graco platinum cargo 48lb), 7yo (Britax Parkway), 9yo (lowback booster)

2009: 1yo (?), 6yo (same), 8yo (same), 10yo (same)

2010: 0yo (?), 2yo (?), 7yo (parkway), 9yo (lowback), 11yo (likely out of seats I would suppose).

As for right now, the 48lb and the parkway will be in the middle seat, lowback in the back - until baby comes so that I can monitor our near 7yo as she adjusts to the booster. She can be impulsive so it'll be a bit of training involved I'm sure. When baby comes the 48lb and baby will be in the middle row, both boosters in the back seat.

It's great to know that the CR tests were flawed though!!!

I'm just going to have to check the 48lb for its date (the 47lb evenflo one in gma's car was just bought this year) to see when it would expire. But I would have the 2 youngest in 5 point for at least 4 years at the same time, so honestly it may be cheaper to go for the convertibles straight off.

I appreciate any feedback!!
Cindy

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC