TA installed, pics as promised.

wildeyes

in with the seatbelt, locking clip used, 2 pool noodles. "02 hyundai elantra, 4 door. installed by a tech.
S7300233.jpg

locking clip in the beltpath.
S7300234.jpg

other side
S7300235.jpg

AND i have room in the front seat again!!!
S7300236.jpg

just for comparison, heres the front seat with a scenera installed
S7300193.jpg

ADS

Stretchy Glue

I may have missed something, buy why are you using a locking clip on a 02? Does it have LATCH. Because of the buckle, I can tell that you have locking retractors. The angle looks good, but I always thought the ETA had a decent recline without, however, it's still early so maybe the fog hasn't cleared yet...

singingpond

Are the harness adjuster knobs (I assume that's what the knobs are that are shown touching the vehicle backrest) hard to adjust on this seat when it's installed RF? I've never really considered this seat (too wide for the 3-across installations we need), but I'm just curious. It looks like it would be hard to get your hands in there ??

Congrats on getting some space back in the front seat!

Katrin

SusanMae

Senior Community Member
I imagine that they used the locking clip to correct for the tilting that would likely occur if they switched the retractor to lock the belt.

The thing that concerns me is the locking clip IN the belt path. My manual is in the car, but I believe that the locking clip needs to be no more than 1 inch away from the latchplate(the part that slides along the belt) and that it should NOT be in the beltpath. I know you went to a tech--but techs are human and make mistakes.

Did the tech have a reason for doing the belt install with a locking clip over LATCH?

The reason I ask is because if I have a choice---I'm going to teach you LATCH because it is generally easier for the average person to replicate the install.(IMO)

Susan

arly1983

I may have missed something, buy why are you using a locking clip on a 02? Does it have LATCH. Because of the buckle, I can tell that you have locking retractors. The angle looks good, but I always thought the ETA had a decent recline without, however, it's still early so maybe the fog hasn't cleared yet...

I have no idea about the locking clip but for an infant or baby who liked to be at a 45 degree angle esp. with those squishie looking cloth seats you would need a pool noodle.

I needed one rolled up towel in my mom's 04 toyota Camry to get the right recline for an infant.

southpawboston

Are the harness adjuster knobs (I assume that's what the knobs are that are shown touching the vehicle backrest) hard to adjust on this seat when it's installed RF? I've never really considered this seat (too wide for the 3-across installations we need), but I'm just curious. It looks like it would be hard to get your hands in there ??

Congrats on getting some space back in the front seat!

Katrin

we had a regular triumph RFing in the same year elantra (via LATCH), and the knobs pushed way into the vehicle seatback, making using them very difficult. i don't know how different it is on the advance version, but from the picture it looks about the same. it meant pushing the cushion in with your fingers every time you wanted to adjust/release the harness.

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
A locking clip should be within one inch of the buckle, however there are exceptions. The locking clip also *must* lie flat and that is more important than the one inch rule. Which means if the locking clip needs to be inside the belt path in order to lie flat, make it as close as possible to the buckle while still allowing it to lie flat.

The Triumph tended to tilt easily with switchable seatbelts. I'm guessing the locking clip is in use to eliminate that issue.

The pool noodles are in use to keep it at a 45 degree angle for a 3 week old that is using the seat.

The knobs tend to be difficult to adjust when RFing if they squish into the seat. You can either squish your fingers in around them to adjust or only adjust when necessary (not every trip).

I generally tell parents about both installs and question whether they are moving the seat around and what are the other vehicles the seat is going in... then we make a decision as to which way they are going to learn based on that info. :)

The seat looks great! It's nice to see how little room it takes up. :)

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I imagine that they used the locking clip to correct for the tilting that would likely occur if they switched the retractor to lock the belt.

The thing that concerns me is the locking clip IN the belt path. My manual is in the car, but I believe that the locking clip needs to be no more than 1 inch away from the latchplate(the part that slides along the belt) and that it should NOT be in the beltpath. I know you went to a tech--but techs are human and make mistakes.

Did the tech have a reason for doing the belt install with a locking clip over LATCH?

The reason I ask is because if I have a choice---I'm going to teach you LATCH because it is generally easier for the average person to replicate the install.(IMO)

Susan

It looks, to me, like if the LC were right next to the latchplate, it would be bent on the edge of the seat. In this case, it's ok for it to be in the belt path. What's important is not really the 'one inch' rule be strictly adhered to, but getting it as close to the latchplate is what's important, and that it not be tipping in the edge of the belt path. There are a few other seats and cars that it's really necessary for it to be in the belt path...that's ok :)

Now what *I'm* wondering is why the tech couldn't use the LATCH (I gather the adjuster was getting caught up on the seat shell, but I was hoping a tech would have some magic trick to fix that issue, lol)

:)

SusanMae

Senior Community Member
Thanks for clearing up the LC issue for me...the new tech is learning for then old---oh I mean more experienced---techs.;)

I forgot about the LATCH strap that was getting hung up....hmmm.

Susan

crunchierthanthou

Did the tech try twisting the buckle stalk? You can twist it up to three full times. That may make it so that the LC can be within 1" of the latchplate, but not pushing against the edge of the beltpath.

Mom to a few

What about the line on the side of the seat that says something like "This line must be level"?? Is it acually level now?? When I tried making the base completely level like that, the "line level" on the side of the seat indicated that it was an improper RF angle for that seat. When the line is level though, it seems a bit too upright for a young baby to me...Anyway, I was just wondering how the line on the side looked after your tech's installation.

wildeyes

wow you guys had a whole conversation without me!!! lol
i'll try and answer everything in one post... if i forget just ask me again.
latch... the tech had seen this seat b4 and had problems with it, he didnt go into detail as to what, he just said it was hard. something about the angles of the curve of the seat or something like that. i dont remember.
the locking clip is in for 2 reasons, one the tipping thing, and when i tried to put it in myself, i could get it nice and tight, but then the second i would lift my weight off the seat it wouldnt be tight anymore, and the seatbelt *was* locked. i think b/c of the sliding latchplate. the lil bit of extra slack in the shoulder portion would get pulled back into the lap portion when there was no weight to keep it there.
i do think i will be able to duplicate the install when i am better, but i wont need to remove the seat very often if at all, so i will just keep an eye out for any wiggling over time.

wildeyes

ok on to the rest of the questions. i didnt see if the tech tried twisting the female end. the apex was in the way. (we were *in* the firehouse, space was limited so i was on the other side of the car watching)
the adjuster knobs do hit the seat, but are not so tight as to where i cant get at them.

ok i forgot the rest of the questions again, off to re-read lol

wildeyes

oh yay i only forgot one!!
yes, the line is level. as far as if the seat is at a true 45 degree angle, the windows are almost level, they tilt up towards the back of the car. i actually have a pic of the whole car parked in that spot if you want to see. (from first day of school in case you are wondering why the heck i would have a pic like that lol)
any more for me? lol

scatterbunny

Re: the recline level indicator (line or bubble) on the sides of some seats, these are not accurate in some cases. The slope of the vehicle seats will play a huge role, so sometimes a seat will be at a correct 45 degree angle for a newborn or young baby and the line will not seem level. This is really okay. :)

I think the install looks fine, but the perfectionist in me would want to try twisting the female buckle stalk to bring the locking clip out of the belt path and closer to the latchplate. It really IS fine inside the belt path if the only other alternative is for it to rest on the edge of the belt path, teetering at an angle that would cause it to slip in a crash, but since we're taught to get it as close to the latchplate as possible, and since we're taught that twisting the buckle stalk up to three full twists is acceptable, I would at least try it out (when you feel better, of course!).

wildeyes

i actualy just went outside and looked at the female buckle. the part that is "seatbelt" is super short, and i was only able to twist the center one one half turn b4 it got really hard to manuver, so im not sure it would work in this case. next time i vaccuum my car i will try tho.

arly1983

Re: latch and curve of the seat

I did find the the best way to get the latch super tight with the angle the latch adjuster is at due to the curve of the seat is to:

-open the cover of the seat up

-pull the tail of the latch strap through the belt path

-get on the oppisite side of the seat from the latch adjuster

-put your knee in the seat

-pull the tail of the latch strap

Because of the angle you are pulling it at and the pressure with your knee, it is SMOOOOOOOTH and tightens easily.

Play with it later, when your all recovered ;)

littleangelfire

My Gosh! I can't believe there's so much more room with the TA. I would've thought there'd be less since its a taller seat, or rather, since it fits kids so much longer it ought to be....I dunno. Just interesting. :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC