How old is too old to ride in a carseat on a plane?

reader

My 8 year old is 47" tall and rides in a Frontier 85. He is right at shoulder height limit for the Radian we have for his little brother. We have a long ride to the airport, then a long ride once we get there, so I want something safe for him to ride in. I don't think I'd want to haul the Frontier but am toying with the idea of a Graco Nautilus or SureRide because they are lighter. If he rode in the seat, then I wouldn't have to worry about checking it. I also to have to figure out a solution for my 50" 9 year old who also rides in a Frontier. Thinking of bringing the booster we have for him which we would have to gate check, I assume. We are planning on bringing the Radian for the 4 year old.

So how old is too old? Suggestions?

ADS

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
If he fits in the seat then he's not too old, but you might get flak from flight attendants.

Honestly, for a physically and developmentally typical 8yo, I'd start some booster training and if that goes well, I'd just bring a backless booster (assuming the vehicles on the other end have head support).

aeormsby

If he fits in the seat then he's not too old, but you might get flak from flight attendants.

Honestly, for a physically and developmentally typical 8yo, I'd start some booster training and if that goes well, I'd just bring a backless booster (assuming the vehicles on the other end have head support).

:yeahthat:

jjordan

I totally agree with carseatcoach. Unless there are extenuating circumstances, I would use backless boosters for both the 8 and the 9 year olds. For children who are at least 4 years old and at least 40 pounds, we do not have any evidence suggesting that a harness is any safer than a properly-used belt-positioning booster. The "properly used" part of that can be a sticking point for 4, 5, even 6 year olds, but developmentally typical 8 and 9 year olds should be able to learn to use boosters properly without any issue.

aept

On the way to the airport can they just ride in their usual seats?
They should fit in the airplane seats (lap belts) fine.
How long is the ride at the other end (in hours)?

Sent from my iPhone using Car-Seat.Org

reader

I totally agree with carseatcoach. Unless there are extenuating circumstances, I would use backless boosters for both the 8 and the 9 year olds. For children who are at least 4 years old and at least 40 pounds, we do not have any evidence suggesting that a harness is any safer than a properly-used belt-positioning booster. The "properly used" part of that can be a sticking point for 4, 5, even 6 year olds, but developmentally typical 8 and 9 year olds should be able to learn to use boosters properly without any issue.

I thought that a harness was always safer. That's why we have kept them harnessed for so long.

reader

On the way to the airport can they just ride in their usual seats?
They should fit in the airplane seats (lap belts) fine.
How long is the ride at the other end (in hours)?

Sent from my iPhone using Car-Seat.Org

We are renting a car, then driving about 150 miles (freeway). Then when we get to our location we'll be driving several hundred miles (freeway). This is a trip to visit multiple relatives in different states.

Keeyamah

I thought that a harness was always safer. That's why we have kept them harnessed for so long.

There is some debate as to whether harnesses or boosters are safer once a child can be trusted to sit in position properly. It has to do with stress on the neck and how with a booster there is less because the body moves as a whole in a crash, where as with a harness the head and neck are thrown forward while the body is held in place. Around here, we tend to feel that if a child is mature enough to sit properly for the whole ride, they are just as safe in a properly used booster as in a properly used harnessed seat.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
There are no studies showing a harness is always safer. Generally after booster maturity around six or a bit older kids can switch.

There's no harm in keeping them harnessed longer, as far as we know, but especially for travel I'd bring a booster for an eight year old.

Wendy

jjordan

That's a fairly common misperception, which I believe started in the days when there were very few harnesses that kept kids harnessed to a safe booster age. At that point, parents were encouraged to harness for as long as possible because that usually meant harnessing to age 5-6, tops. The fact is that we don't have any data showing that harnessing is safer for older kids. :)

HEVY

I would just use the seatbelt on the plane for all of them.
Backless boosters for your older ones and a RSTV (easiest to travel with, plane and car) for your youngest, if you are unable to get an RSTV then a HHB.
As for rentals, most are new cars and they usually have two, sometimes three, headrests in the back seat, as well as three shoulder belts. I would request one that has all.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I'd bring the Radian for the four year old, but I'd bring backless boosters for the older two and put them in the overhead bins.

Wendy

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
With the driving being several hundred miles, I might consider well-structured HBB that convert to backlesses. You can pack the backs in a suitcase and pad them well with clothing, and then carry the bottoms on the plane. That way should your luggage get lost, you'll at least have SOME form of restraint.

Alternatively, you could use the Radian on the plane for the youngest, then allow the 8yo to use it at the destination. You could take along an RSTV or a Safety 1st Go for the little one to use in the car. I would only do this if you don't feel the 8yo could stay in position, as a well-fitting high-backed booster is a very safe choice at his age. :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC