Britax "Check Fit" fix

ADS

dalmom

Does your new one also include the approved for airplane use sticker as well? We're getting ready to order another Frontier 90 from Amazon and wondering if I need to call Britax and request the stickers like I had to for our other one or if they're putting on the seats now.

rfk

Yes, thanks for the photos!

Now I'm giving myself about a week to decide which color... Zebra, maybe Red... going to be two of them for twins so need to choose wisely... oh no, I'm stuck all over again...

Last edited:

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
Honestly, I just don't understand why Britax keeps getting a free ride on this.

First, it's not a federal standard of any kind.

Second, they didn't do poorly, even based on the methods used. My experience is that older kids fit well, the ones most likely to need the booster given the very high harness limits.

Plus, it's a somewhat subjective fit test in the first place and no type of crash testing is involved.

And most importantly, they offer a free fix that is basically guaranteed to keep the lap belt in position if adjusted correctly. And, unlike any other booster, also provides a 4th point of restraint to prevent submarining. In my opinion, it's better than any redesign for the lap belt path. Of course, you could have the updated belt path design AND the SecureGuard clip;-)

I just received my updated model but haven't opened the box.

rfk

Second, they didn't do poorly, even based on the methods used. My experience is that older kids fit well, the ones most likely to need the booster given the very high harness limits.

Plus, it's a somewhat subjective fit test in the first place and no type of crash testing is involved.

And most importantly, they offer a free fix that is basically guaranteed to keep the lap belt in position if adjusted correctly. And, unlike any other booster, also provides a 4th point of restraint to prevent submarining. In my opinion, it's better than any redesign for the lap belt path. Of course, you could have the updated belt path design AND the SecureGuard clip;-)

Hi -

Looking forward to your impressions on the revised seat - especially installed with belts/child in place.

I think my frustration on this saga goes back to the last year's IIHS evaluation:

"A surprise came from Britax, a company whose boosters have consistently earned the top two ratings. This year, three new Britax models didn't make their debuts as BEST BETs or GOOD BETs. They are the Frontier 90, Pinnacle 90 and Pioneer 70. These highback seats replaced two Britax boosters that previously earned the top rating."

"The highback Britax Frontier 85 was a BEST BET last year. In IIHS evaluations, the seat correctly positioned the lap belt across the dummy's thighs in all test conditions. Britax introduced the Frontier 90 in 2013. The geometry of the highback booster's armrest doesn't consistently provide the same lap belt fit as the earlier model. In 2 of 4 test conditions the lap belt was too high on the dummy's abdomen, although the shoulder belt fit was good."

"...booster seats have consistently improved. We've never had a seat go the wrong way.

That is, until this year.

When Floyd started evaluating the Britax Frontier 90, he was taken aback by what he found: The lap belt was too high on the dummy's abdomen in 2 of 4 test conditions that represent a range of vehicle safety belt setups. A booster seat needs good lap belt fit, in addition to good shoulder belt fit, in all four conditions to earn a BEST BET rating.

"Britax surprised me," Floyd says. "I did the test and then got the Frontier 85 out of storage to compare the designs. Britax changed the armrest's geometry, and that put the lap belt in the wrong place to earn a BEST BET or GOOD BET." The Frontier 85 was a BEST BET for 2012."

All that said, I'd certainly agree that the 4th point of restraint in conbination with the revised belt path is the best solution!

I tried to load up two Zebra seats to an Amazon cart, but it told me only one in stock. Also tried two Congo seats, same thing happened. Just sent a note to customer service about it. So, the adventure continues...

nataliem257

This exactly. It's different for the HWH seats, I imagine a very small portion of the people who buy frontiers are putting really small kids in it, which is where the belt fit problems originated in the test from my understanding.

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
The IIHS testing is an important mark for manufacturers to hit, but it is problematic because it is only one subjective fit test on one size dummy on a test fixture. Put varying sizes of kids on a real automobile seat and things can be a lot different. We assume that models with a Best Bet will also tend to work better in the wide array of possibilities with real kids and cars, but you never know!

In any case, the SecureGuard clip is a great feature and unique in boosters. My son uses it in his Frontier and Parkway when he rides in them. I don't think it was a band-aid, but a real fix and perhaps better than the updated design.

Of course, for the IIHS to test it with the SecureGuard clip would require Britax to ship it with the clip included in the box and also change the instructions and lables, which I'm guessing would be a lot more expensive than transitioning to a new armrest design and supplying free SG to those who request them. And adding another $10 or more to the msrp is a big deal. Just a guess.

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
Hi -

Looking forward to your impressions on the revised seat - especially installed with belts/child in place.

I think my frustration on this saga goes back to the last year's IIHS evaluation:

I agree that it was disappointing that they missed the mark on the test, but I think the SecureGuard Clip resolution was a good one. I wish the IIHS had tested it with the clip as well.

Persimmon

<snip>
In any case, the SecureGuard clip is a great feature and unique in boosters. My son uses it in his Frontier and Parkway when he rides in them. I don't think it was a band-aid, but a real fix and perhaps better than the updated design.
<snip>

Thanks for this. I was wondering about the possibly better than the updated design part. I bet it is better for my must be in constant motion DS! I called about my Pinnacle and they are sending a free SG. :jive:

essnce629

Why am I just finding out about this now!!!! I bought my FR90 way back in December 2013 and haven't heard a thing about the armrest problem! I guess I need to contact Britax and ask for a Secureguard clip.

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
Hi -

My "new" evaluation sample inadvertently was sent from earlier production with the original armrests- will be a little while longer before I have the new one, sorry!

rfk

My "new" evaluation sample inadvertently was sent from earlier production with the original armrests- will be a little while longer before I have the new one, sorry!

Well thanks for the (non-) update. I was already thinking about waiting until after ABC Kids Expo (Sep 7-10), just in case there was any big, breaking news. So, just a few more weeks.

I assume you'll be there, camping on the show floor? Or living large in a Vegas hotel?

MikeyD

Did you ever receive the redesigned seat from Britax? Would like to know your thoughts on it before I purchase a pinnacle.

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
Did you ever receive the redesigned seat from Britax? Would like to know your thoughts on it before I purchase a pinnacle.

I did, you can read about it here:

http://carseatblog.com/30336/britax-combination-seats-booster-lap-belt-guide-changes/

Honestly, I think the original version plus the free SecureGuard clip would be as good or better than the revised version. The only drawback of the SG clip is the extra step for the child which only takes a few seconds. Granted, you could always buy the revised version and pay for the option sg clip as well.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC