multiple third row tethers

crunchierthanthou

Which new vehicles have more than one tether in the third row?

What I'm really asking- What vehicle would you choose if you needed two Regents in the 3rd row and a snugride and FPSVD (probably ff by the time all 4 seats will be in use) in the second row?

ADS

ccjones

My 2007 Honda Pilot, which seats eight, has a tether anchor for every rear seat location (six tether anchors in all). So, there are three tether anchors for the second row, and three tether anchors for the third row.

As a bonus, there are adjustable headrests in ALL eight seating positions!

ETA: I'd put the Regents outboard in the third row, and install the SnugRide and FPSVD on the "60" part of the 60/40 split in the second row. I'd keep the "40" side vacant, so you can fold and slide it forward for easy access to the third row.

TXDani

Senior Community Member
Just like the Honda Pilot my '07 Acura MDX has tethers for all rear seating postions, adjustable headrests for all seats, and LATCH for all 3 center row seating postions.

UlrikeDG

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
The Pilot. ;) I'd definitely want to try the Regents in the 3rd row before buying, though. That back row has extremely limited leg room, and I could see it being an issue with installing a Regent with the newly mandatory recline bar. Additionally, accessing the 3rd row can be tough if you have seats installed in both outboard 2nd row positions. When we had 3 seats installed in the center row, the "easiest" way to get into the 3rd row was through the back hatch, which wasn't exactly a breeze. If the Regent does work in the 3rd row, I think it would be easier to put 3 across in the 2nd row and only one Regent in the 3rd. Then, you could leave part of the 3rd row folded down, making it significantly easier for that child to get in and out through the back.

The Honda Odyssey has 3 TAs (center LATCH) in the 3rd row for '06-'07.

The '04-'07 Toyota Sienna has 2 LATCH w/ TAs in the 3rd row (one center, one on passenger side).

The Suzuki XL7 '02-'07 has outboard TAs in the (optional) 3rd row.

The Subaru B9 Tribeca 7-passenger model has 2 TAs in the 3rd row.

The '03-07 Mercury Mountaineer has two outboard TAs in the 3rd row.

The Mercedes R-class and GL SUVs have two outboard LATCH with TAs in the 3rd row.

The '05-'07 Mazda5 has two TAs in the 3rd row (see reviews on this forum for information about the 3rd row seatbelt issue in this vehicle).

The '07 Kia Rondo might. The LATCH manual is unclear.

GMC '06-'07 Yukon, two TAs center and driver's side.

Ford '03-'07 Explorer 4-Door, two TAs outboard (cargo tie-downs).

Acura '02-'07 MDX two TAs.

You said "new" vehicles, so I only looked at '07 models.

UlrikeDG

The Honda Pilot does NOT have LATCH in the center seating position in the 2nd row. It does have 6 tether anchors (all six rear seating positions) and two LATCH positions (outboard 2nd row). Also, while there are 3 TA positions in the 3rd row, I can't imagine fitting 3 across back there. That 3rd row is TINY.

The MDX has 3 LATCH (all in 2nd row) plus two outboard TAs in the 3rd row.

crunchierthanthou

Thanks, Ulrike! I really need to break down and buy the new LATCH manual. She does want new, so that was perfect. They're looking at replacing a 2005 T&C because she needs to tether both regents and is now expecting #4.

UlrikeDG

I probably should have included details about the 2nd row TAs & LATCH, but I didn't think about that until I was over halfway through the book. If you want more info about any of those vehicles, just let me know which ones; I'm sure there are at least a few that can be ruled out right away just by looking at the price tag or the crash test results.

lovemyfamily

I just had a friend check and her 2008 GMC Yukon XL only has 1 tether anchor in the 3rd row!! That surprised me. That is all mine has, but it is a 2001.

crunchierthanthou

Doesn't the dodge caravan have 4 full sets of latch, or am I thinking of something else?

Maybe the newest models? or maybe older? I know for sure this one doesn't and I've read comments from other posters that their same model year only has one third row TA.

I probably should have included details about the 2nd row TAs & LATCH, but I didn't think about that until I was over halfway through the book. If you want more info about any of those vehicles, just let me know which ones; I'm sure there are at least a few that can be ruled out right away just by looking at the price tag or the crash test results.

I think 2nd rows seem to be more consistent, or at least have more work around solutions. Would you mind listing the poorer crash test results?

UlrikeDG

The '01 Caravan has 5 sets of LATCH (two 2nd row, three 3rd row). The '02-'07 has two LATCH/one TA or three LATCH, depending on whether it has the Stow-and-Go in the 3rd row.

Crash test results are available online.
IIHS
NHTSA

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
The '01 Caravan only has 4 sets of LATCH in the van... in all outboard positions, with an additional 5th TA.

The middle position in the 3rd row allows for borrowing the outboard position's anchors to create a LATCH position in the center spot, but then you *must* use seatbelt installs for the carseats adjacent to it.

A good friend of mine owns an '01 Caravan and I just did a seat check/install in the 3rd row middle position last week. ;)

crunchierthanthou

Anyone know about the GMC Acadia and clones?

eta: n/m. I need to remember to google and then post. One third row tether anchor (and lower anchors). Two full LATCH in second row- outboard/captains chairs plus one more tether anchor in middle if you get the second row bench.

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
Have you looked at the Kia Sedona? Gypsy's got one, not sure what year, but it's got LATCH in four positions and five? tether anchors. I'm pretty sure that's what she told me yesterday when we were playing in it. (We wanted to see if the Husky fit with the recline bar, SBP seat belt - it did!)

Gypsy

Senior Community Member
Have you looked at the Kia Sedona? Gypsy's got one, not sure what year, but it's got LATCH in four positions and five? tether anchors. I'm pretty sure that's what she told me yesterday when we were playing in it. (We wanted to see if the Husky fit with the recline bar, SBP seat belt - it did!)

Yes, it's a 2006 Kia Sedona. LATCH in 4 positions and a tether in 4 rear positions and the Husky with recline bar and short and long belt path fits in the captains chairs and 3rd row outboard positions, we didn't try it in the center though. EXCELLENT installs too! In addition the 2nd row seats move back and forth to give as much or as little leg room needed to anyone in the 2nd and 3rd rows. It's a great van that I think MUST have been designed by a mom with CPS knowledge and a big family!

Last edited:

mom2riley

Ford '03-'07 Explorer 4-Door, two TAs outboard (cargo tie-downs).

We are looking at Explorers right now w/3rd row. So these 2 TAs in 3rd row can be used for installs right? (sorry if this is a totally silly question). I would love to know which seats have latch and how the 2002 compares in these departments. :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC