Child stuck in Graco Smart Seat

TyAndCheyMommy

:(
Moved car seats today because I needed to get van ready to take on Thanksgiving trip.
I strapped my daughter into the smart seat while I was moving everything else around in the van.
After I got done I went to get her out of the seat and couldn't get the crotch buckle to undo. I tried pushing every way possible. I called my husband and he came and tried to get her out.
We loosened the straps and couldn't get her out (due to her disability she has extremely tight muscles and we couldn't get her maneuvered around enough to pull her out. (Keep in mind she is at the highest harness height and the harness already is almost all the way loosened when she is in the seat correctly).
I couldn't get the seat uninstalled because it is latched to a base, that is installed with a seat belt, that has an snap down belt guide inside it. I tried to uninstall the seat, to get to the "yolk" that holds the harness straps- but couldn't get to it.
I called Graco because I was not sure what to do.
They told me to cut the straps on the seat, and that they would replace the seat. Unfortunately this leaves us without a seat, so I opted to go purchase a new one and they just refund me for the old one. Luckily I have an extra seat that my daughter can use until I purchase the new seat.
I love the concept of the base for the smart seat, because then we don't have a bunch of seats installed in the trucks, only the base. But I am not sure I want to buy another smart seat. It means I have a bunch of bases that will not be used, but that lack of ability to get to the yolk has me concerned.

ADS

jkrkmama

I'm sorry. That's really scary. I'm wondering if that seat is going to fall under the NHTSA investigation?

TyAndCheyMommy

We have had issues with the buckle sticking a lot lately. I seemed to assume that it was more when the older kids are taking the younger ones out (we have 3 of these seats)... but it was a lot more on Chey's seat (the one that was stuck).

Baylor

I don't know if they changed it on this seat too. I thought they might have had the other buckle the one that was also on GN's. push down not push in buckle.

Shaunam

Oh sheesh. I can totally see why you'd have to cut the straps to get her out. I'd never be able to get Charlie out of a seat just by loosening the straps and I think your Chey is even taller. I'm so tired of these buckle issues. I find myself not even recommending graco seats anymore even though the my ride is hands down one of the best seats for special needs kids EVER. :thumbsdown:

YinzerMama

I really really really really really hate the new Graco buckle. It is a shame they make such otherwise great seats, so much bang for your buck, but such a horrible buckle.

Glad you finally got her out.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC