Fight about RF, need help! :(

J'sMamaCC

:mad: So hubby & I got in a fight over ERF, then just RF... I will spare you all the stupid details & nitty gritty of the fight. It boils down to him using all the excuses that I've seen posted from time to time as to why our DS should NOT be ERF, let alone RF after a year. :mad: :thumbsdown:
I showed him the info from here: http://www.safercar.gov/parents/RightSeat.htm
and also here:
http://www.healthychildren.org/Engl...000&nfstatusdescription=ERROR:+No+local+token

He said that it's just recommendations & the LAW is one year & 20lbs. :mad:

I am SO fuming. I need help in the form of links, videos, ANYTHING that is helpful to convince a stubborn (& acting ignorant) man that staying backwards truly is safest! PLEASE. I am so upset. He said if he takes DS in his truck he's going to put him forward NOW! (he's only 10mns!) :eek: Because the carseat fits better that way :( :mad:
Thank goodness I drive DS nearly everywhere. :eek:
*This all started becuase we just got DS a convertible (Britax Pavillion) to get him out of his Chaperone (he's 29.5" tall) & it dosen't fit great in the rear seat of our Jeep Grand Cherokee :( (the Chaperone is in the middle position & that's where I want to put the Pavillion) AND he bought a USED carseat from our neighbors (Britax, mfg 2009, supposedly no accidents) that he thought was going to be a super money saver & return the Pavillion. :(
Thanks in advance for any assistance! :eek:

ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
http://carseatblog.com/9452/rear-facing-until-2-years-old-why-not/

And ask him why he'd want to give the minimum protection allowable to his kid, when the maximum is so easy? You already have a seat he can rear-face in, so it's not difficult to use what you already have and not change that. Outboard and rear-facing is better than forward-facing center. But if a Chaperone fits a Pavilion should- what problem are you having? Maybe we can help.

Also, there are very few if any states that actually have 1 and 20 as a law. Most are proper use, and different manufacturers set different minimums.

soph's mom

My other half would prefer to have dd forward facing more often bc there are some ease benefits. He still tries to lift her into to seat instead of letting her climb in. I'm hoping when my radian arrives the low profile will be easier for him.

Unfortunately Virginia is one of the states that has the 1 and 20 rule... We are on very little travel over the next few days bc my newly turned 2 year old just passed the 1 inch rule on her Eddie Bauer AOE and I had to turn her. I have a radian hopefully shipping out today so I will be able to turn her back soon.

Brianna

I think everybody covered the best links for you. I wanted to add that if you click on the tabs on the carseat.se page, you will find more information.

I know it can be difficult when one person just doesn't see the big deal with RF, what would he say if you asked him for proof that it's safer to be FF at such a young age?

Your Pavilion should fit okay in your Grand Cherokee unless maybe you have both front seats all the way back. If you still have it we can try to help you figure out how to make it fit correctly, or if you've returned it we can give you additional seat suggestions.

Last edited:

keri1292

Everyone covered the rear facing issue, but I didn't see if anyone mentioned that you can install the convertible more upright and that should give you more room. It still needs to be in the reclined position, but if you push down towards the adjuster when installing (rather than pushing where baby's bum goes) it will install more upright. :)

J'sMamaCC

:) THANK YOU ALL so much. I've sent him a very long email listing all the links so he can educate himself. ;)

I do still have the Pavillion... I have to wait till DS's next nap to give the instillation a go. I think I also need a pool noodle/towel becuase it seems rather "tippy"... sigh...

I am still pretty peeved with hubs over this. :mad: He's being so stubborn. I printed the flyers from joelsjourney.org & stuck them around the house (fridge, bathroom mirror, etc) I will be interested to see his response is to the email filled with the links. I will aslo ask him for his version of "proof" that FF is better :p

Brianna

After reading the manual, Britax posts great videos on youtube. I'm not sure if you're installing with LATCH or the seat belt- I don't think your Grand Cherokee allows for LATCH in the center but I could be wrong. At 10 months, you can definitely install in the more upright range of acceptable as Keri mentioned. Here's the video for a lap/shoulder belt installation
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o40ozbWjDRM&list=UU990PBnKlOyBwgsWxjzzwmg&index=11&feature=plcp"]BRITAX G3 Convertible Car Seats: Rear Facing Installation using Lap/Shoulder Belt - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited:

KaysKidz

Senior Community Member
Tell him to google INTERNAL DECAPITATION and see if that is something he's willing to risk for his child.

lovemy2kidstw

J'sMamaCC said:
:) THANK YOU ALL so much. I've sent him a very long email listing all the links so he can educate himself. ;)

I do still have the Pavillion... I have to wait till DS's next nap to give the instillation a go. I think I also need a pool noodle/towel becuase it seems rather "tippy"... sigh...

I am still pretty peeved with hubs over this. :mad: He's being so stubborn. I printed the flyers from joelsjourney.org & stuck them around the house (fridge, bathroom mirror, etc) I will be interested to see his response is to the email filled with the links. I will aslo ask him for his version of "proof" that FF is better :p

What year is the grand Cherokee? I have put DS's Marathon 70 RF in a 1999-2000 grand Cherokee. I went through something similar with my DH about the time DS was 15 months or so. Show your DH the crash test videos, men are usually very visual & won't 'get' it unless they see it. DH still wanted him to be FF because DD was FF at 1. I told him that I wanted him to RF until 2 & then we could talk about it. We compromised on him RF until 2, but DS outgrew his seat before then. At 10 months old FF isn't even an option, tell DH he can get a ticket for that. I don't know how long you are wanting to RF, but you could tell DH that when he turns 2 then he can FF in his vehicle & you can keep him RF in your vehicle.

Last edited:

soph's mom

I have a 98 grand Cherokee and can rf may AOE at full recline at the proper 45 degrees in the center. It does touch the front seats but that is allowed in those vehicles. I have put another AOE (yes, I'm cursed with 2 of them but oh well) behind the passenger side with the seat forward some. Would he compromise on a radian with the angle adjuster? You could get one in the same price range as the pavilion, get a decently upright install, and have it easy to lift the child into?

I know we have diehard britax fans on here and diehard radian fans but it may be worth the compromise. If you keep him in the center the higher sides on the britax won't make that much difference...

Brianna

I have a 98 grand Cherokee and can rf may AOE at full recline at the proper 45 degrees in the center. It does touch the front seats but that is allowed in those vehicles. I have put another AOE (yes, I'm cursed with 2 of them but oh well) behind the passenger side with the seat forward some. Would he compromise on a radian with the angle adjuster? You could get one in the same price range as the pavilion, get a decently upright install, and have it easy to lift the child into?

I know we have diehard britax fans on here and diehard radian fans but it may be worth the compromise. If you keep him in the center the higher sides on the britax won't make that much difference...

Your Grand Cherokee allows touching but your car seats do not.

Last edited:
KaysKidz said:
Tell him to google INTERNAL DECAPITATION and see if that is something he's willing to risk for his child.

This. Talk to him about vertebrae separation.

You're doing the right thing by pushing this. It's a serious safety issue, one we know to be very pertinent today with the increase in traffic volume.

soph's mom

Mine are not wedged at all. I could slide paper... I know you can't force the seats up against the vehicle seats...

soph's mom

And you keep referring to these vehicles as cherokees but the Cherokee and grand cherokee are very different and should be treated as such.

Let's stay on the original topic here please anyway...

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
soph's mom said:
And you keep referring to these vehicles as cherokees but the Cherokee and grand cherokee are very different and should be treated as such.

Let's stay on the original topic here please anyway...

I must have missed it, but I don't see where anyone referred to anything other than a Grand Cherokee. Also, when someone brings up a point that needs to be addressed in case the OP or anyone else reading could benefit, it's a good idea to address it. This thread hasn't gone off-topic at all, IMO.

Last edited:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC