swaddle in the carseat

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
That video, yes. She's putting something thinner than a tee shirt behind her child, tightening the harness, then swaddling over it.

There are far more ways to do this unsafely, but the way she has done it is ok.

Wendy

monica-m

CPST Instructor
I did that with DS when he was a noob. The harness in the video could have been tightened a little more but what she was doing with the Swaddle Me was safe.

RubysGirl

I thought it was a no no to thread any part of the harness through something? That's why I spent the money and got the travel swaddle me, it had legs. I'd lay it open in the seat, put the baby into it, buckle, then wrap. It wasn't as thin as a t shirt, but it couldn't be called thick, either. It was a lightweight fleece that compressed without effort. I always wanted to use the regular ones, my babies got too hot in the fleece.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
The ones with the legs were probably easier, but this one is thin and the crotch strap only goes through a hole. Is it not allowed? It's much easier to say that no aftermarket products are safe, then go through and list the exceptions. When Laine got older I got the woombie convertible leggie so she had legs, I could pop her arms out so I could harness her, then when we got home I popped her arms back in and snapped them back up. That was my way to go around the unsafe swaddling. I did try the swaddleme when she was an infant once or twice, but as we used a convertible and I got her out every time, it was an added five minutes every time and just not worth it. However, I didn't feel it was unsafe. I left the harness as it was and it still buckled tightly with ease.

Wendy

cryswilkins

I would be OK with that. It's thinner than a fleece jacket.

My kids have never loved to be swaddled so I don't understand it, but I that's doesn't matter. ;)

Sent from my iPhone, please excuse my typos.

monstah

cryswilkins said:
I would be OK with that. It's thinner than a fleece jacket.

My kids have never loved to be swaddled so I don't understand it, but I that's doesn't matter. ;)

Sent from my iPhone, please excuse my typos.

I never understood it either. Until I had "ZOMG swaddle me NOW!!" DD2 :p She was an awesome happy baby who just *loved* to be swaddled and wouldn't sleep unless swaddled. I used some kind of swaddle me in the car seat for her, just like in the OP, but I had to cut my own hole for the crotch strap.

2BunniesMommy

Could not have survived DD2's babyhood if I hadn't used a swaddleme like that in her carseat. She loved to be swaddled, couldn't sleep without until about 6 months old. She didn't like the car much. I didn't see anyway that using it reduced her safety and it sure saved my sanity.

cookie123

I was thinking about this just the other day. I recalled we had a thread about it in the past and was wondering which product was the one that was generally thought of as 'the best.'

HEVY

Rachel was a swaddler till she was older, crawling. Maybe that's why she always cried in the carseat. Wish I had one of those back then.

V

VanIsleMommy

too bad I can't swaddle the 4 year old... oops did I say that out loud... :whistle:

Kat_Momof3

this just made me go "DOH!" because I realized Ruthie might have put up with the infant seat if I'd swaddled her... I could have just wrapped her up, marked where the buckle would go, and cut a slit in a thin receiving blanket... SIGH. Probably wouldn't have made a difference, but she did love being swaddled so regardless, I wish I'd thought to do it.

The ones with the legs are still preferable, but since it's so lightweight, I'm fine with it. They didn't have holed in them before and people would thread the crotch strap up and over... now that's scary.

RubysGirl

Many years ago I owned an infant seat, and it actually had instructions in the user manual about laying a fleece receiving blanket it and cutting holes in it for all the straps.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC