Older Sienna or Newer Odyssey?

anzawest

I'm looking to buy an eight passenger minivan. I need the 2nd row middle seat for everyday use so all of the "go-seat" minivans are out. I've read that the 2008 (and earlier) Sienna and the newer model Odyssey are the best. I've seen the 2012 Odyssey in person and it doesn't look as big as the older model Sienna to me. WWYD? If you have pictures to prove me wrong or confirm my opinion, please post. Thanks.

Stats:
10yo, adult seatbelt (passed the 5-step test)
6yo, radian, ff
5yo, radian, ff
5 yo, radian, ff
4yo, boulevard, ff
3yo, boulevard, rf

ADS

StillThankful

I'm looking to buy an eight passenger minivan. I need the 2nd row middle seat for everyday use so all of the "go-seat" minivans are out. I've read that the 2008 (and earlier) Sienna and the newer model Odyssey are the best. I've seen the 2012 Odyssey in person and it doesn't look as big as the older model Sienna to me. WWYD? If you have pictures to prove me wrong or confirm my opinion, please post. Thanks.

Stats:
10yo, adult seatbelt (passed the 5-step test)
6yo, radian, ff
5yo, radian, ff
5 yo, radian, ff
4yo, boulevard, ff
3yo, boulevard, rf

Welcome to CSO!!!:)

I don't have advice on which van to get b/c I don't have either (in those model years) but was wondering if you have a dealership near you, which would allow you test drive them for a while. Some actually let you take the car home for a day or two. Others may just let you drive them for 30 minutes. I was thinking that you could load your kids and car seats and perhaps let them decide which one they like--MAJORITY rules.;)

Here is a thread discussing Sienna versus Odyssey: http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=211849&highlight=sienna+versus+odyssey

Hope this helps:)

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I think it really comes down to how you like the handling of each one, they handle differently- which would require a test drive- and how they fit your budget, and what's available for the price you can pay, etc.

I think you'd be happy with either. And by the way, Siennas had that great 8th seat up until the 2010 model year, not just 2008. :)

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
The two are pretty comparable in size. The difficulty will be finding a 2004-2010 Sienna CE or LE with the 8-passenger option. Most Siennas were 7-passenger models, but you can find ones with the second row center seat if you are patient!

jjordan

The two are pretty comparable in size. The difficulty will be finding a 2004-2010 Sienna CE or LE with the 8-passenger option. Most Siennas were 7-passenger models, but you can find ones with the second row center seat if you are patient!

:yeahthat: When we were looking at minivans, we had a hard time finding many 8 passenger Siennas. (We ended up going with a 7-pass Sedona, obviously not an option for you.)

anzawest

Welcome to CSO!!!:)

I don't have advice on which van to get b/c I don't have either (in those model years) but was wondering if you have a dealership near you, which would allow you test drive them for a while. Some actually let you take the car home for a day or two. Others may just let you drive them for 30 minutes. I was thinking that you could load your kids and car seats and perhaps let them decide which one they like--MAJORITY rules.;)

Here is a thread discussing Sienna versus Odyssey: http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=211849&highlight=sienna+versus+odyssey

Hope this helps:)

I've driven both of them so that isn't an issue. I was just wondering about the seats.

anzawest

I think it really comes down to how you like the handling of each one, they handle differently- which would require a test drive- and how they fit your budget, and what's available for the price you can pay, etc.

I think you'd be happy with either. And by the way, Siennas had that great 8th seat up until the 2010 model year, not just 2008. :)

Thank you but no, I'm only asking about the seats because I've driven them already. I will check out the 2010 although I've never liked the "headrest on seat" instead of the "headrest above seat" configuration. There's always something, right? haha

jewlsvern

I can easily get 6 kids in my 2012 Odyssey. I have 2 that 5 step, 1 FF, and 3 RF. I find it to be huge inside. Also the 2nd row has a feature that moves the outboard seats out an inch or inch and a half. I can easily get 3 across my 2nd row. I have SS1, Radian, and Tribute.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I think the reason everyone is saying that both are good is that... both are good. :shrug-shoulders: Either will probably work for your situation, as far as seats. It comes down to personal preference/budget/whatever other considerations you consider important.

Have you compared safety ratings? That could be a tie-breaker, I guess. Or, what optional features you're able to get for a given price.

anzawest

Am I really the only person who is bugged by this? :confused:
2011_honda_odyssey_touring_elite_interior_second_row_wide_mode_03.jpg

o_mom

Just agreeing with what's been posted... A pre-11 Sienna or 11+ Odyssey are going to be pretty comparable in seating capacity.

The biggest thing with the ages and seats you list will be the lack of tether anchors in the Sienna. The 11-12 Odyssey will have tether anchors in all seating positions.

We literally just went through this decision and ended up with a 2012 Odyssey. I looked for 8-pass Siennas and they were few and far between - maybe 2-3 in a 150 mi radius (I only looked at 09 and newer, though as we didn't want to replace our 135k van with another one that had just as many miles). For our family, the tether anchors were not a big deal - I only have one harnessed these days, but with the ages you have, I would not even consider it, personally. I have been able to fit six kids in various seats in the back with no issue. Most are in booster, which are wider that the Radian and harder to buckle.

The picture doesn't bother me except those are pretty ugly seats, IMO. :)

bnsnyde

We have the 2011 Odyssey b/c we wanted 8 seats. We use that 8th seat all the time. It is great and has latch and tether. All seats have tether in this van. There is even wide mode carseat mode. It's awesome for 3 across. I could put 5 carseats of most anything in the van, and 6 seats carefully. Crash rating are excellent. When we bought, Toyota was having problems with their vehicles accelerating and causing deaths so we chose Honda for that, without truly realizing how carseat friendly our van is. So we're really happy with it!
Of course, with all the vans I test drove, visibility is an issue/blind spots. I much prefer cars. But if you do need to transport a lot of people, they do the job.

Nimommyof2

I have a 2010 Odyssey and I wish I could've got my hands on a newer one but we couldn't afford brand new and it was hard enough find a 2010 most I saw were 2008(we were financing though so I was looking at dealer's as financing through them was are only option). I read on here people putting seats on the plus one in the older Odysseys so knew it could work but didn't really understand till I got it that only a radian will fit there if I still want access to the back. I run a dayhome so I have six sometimes 7passengers on a daily basis the wide mode would be great to have. The other downside is the middle back tether is across the hatch in my van so I consider it non exsitent as I can't really use the trunk with it installed so I have to only RF carseats in the two middle positions. With the newer Sienna's my understanding is they only have 3tethers so you don't want to go that route. When I was looking I couldn't find any 8passenger Siennas available in pretty much the whole province of Alberta so if there are some available in your area go check them out. I have a link somewhere of my five carseats in the 2010 I'll see if I can find it.

Nimommyof2

okay hopefully this link works http://s1254.photobucket.com/albums/hh617/nimommyof2/

I would love to be able to have the option to FF wherever I want which you do in the new Honda's unless the middle is across the hatch but if so it still gives you five places to put seats and lots of options, though my van works it can be a pain.

Hmm I guess those pictures aren't that great anyway of all five seats I'll see what else I can find

Last edited:

o_mom

okay hopefully this link works http://s1254.photobucket.com/albums/hh617/nimommyof2/

I would love to be able to have the option to FF wherever I want which you do in the new Honda's unless the middle is across the hatch but if so it still gives you five places to put seats and lots of options, though my van works it can be a pain.

Hmm I guess those pictures aren't that great anyway of all five seats I'll see what else I can find

The 2011-12 have all the tethers on the backs of the seats. No more across the trunk. However, I had three tethers across my trunk in the 2002 Odyssey and it never impeded me from using the space. It was a slight pain on long trips where I had to pack around them, but for daily use it was not a big deal, even with a double stroller, etc. back there.

anzawest

Thank you for showing me those pictures! You typed that only five places can have seats, which five?

Calleiah

My understanding is that you can have seats in all the seating positions, there are however, only 5 sets of lower anchors. You would still be able to install by seat belt in the middle 3rd row where there are no lower anchors.

Nimommyof2

There are only five tethers and three latch positions so the two outboard seats in the middle have tethers and latch and the middle plus one only has a seatbelt no tether so only RF there or no seat but for example your ten year old probably wouldn't be comfortable for any long distance driving on that seat its very narrow. The back has latch in the middle and the tether is across the hatch but I think some of the older years have it on the seat, the two outboard have seatbelts and tethers no latch.

To be honest I have never attempted to use the tether in the middle across the hatch I just assume it would be a pain especially considering my double side by side would not go in without me unattaching and reattaching so with the amount of loading unloading I do with the dayhome it seems like it would be a pain but maybe it isn't that bad depending what you have in your trunk.

If I were you with the amount of seats you have I would not get a new Sienna as it only has three tethers, I would attempt to get an old Sienna or a new honda and if neither of those are possible you could probably make an older Honda work.

Just to clarify my Odyssey is a 2010 the new ones start in 2011, the Sienna's changed in 2011 so you would need 2010 or older in the Sienna model or perferably a 2011 or newer Honda

Last edited:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC