Newborn in a SafeSeat

ThreeBeans

Hmmm.

Not sure *what* I think.

He is absolutely dwarfed by the seat. At 19.5 inches and 7 lbs 4 ounces he is well within the limits of the seat.

The chest clip hurts him. It's HUGE...and if it's in the right place it pinches his chin.

The straps, even at their lowest, are a good 1/3" over his shoulders.

Sorry, not the best pictures....I'm still not able to stand for any length of time.

000_0495.jpg

000_0496.jpg

000_0497.jpg

ADS

Jewels

Senior Community Member
ooohhhhhhhh, he's sooooooo sweet!

I think he is ok in the seat. I don't think that really any seat will fit a newborn "perfectly". The chest clips always look huge compared to the tiny NB who is so tiny and squishy.

Will we even get to know his name?

Laurenc0101

He is absolutely precious!!

My son was the same way! He was 19.5" at birth, but only 6lbs 2ozs. The seat totally dwarfed him too.

At birth
100_0141.jpg

At 7 weeks
100_0688.jpg

I wish that Graco could use two chest clips. A smaller one for newborns and the regular one for infants. The chest clip just takes up so much room on their tiny chests!

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
Awww, congratulations on bean the third's arrival. He's adorable!

MomToEliEm

What a cute little guy! Congratulations on his birth.

That seat looks so massive with him in it but I am sure in just a few weeks, we will fit very well.

ThreeBeans

What did you do about his poor little chin?

Seriously, when I clip it, his chin rests right on the hard plastic jut and he cries and cries :(

His name is Bean the Third ;)

Ok, I'm just joshin' ya..

My kids names are Bean the First (Matthew Lucien) aka Monkey, Bean the Second (Eden Ayanna) aka Boo, and Bean the Third (Ezekiel Gregory) aka BabyZeke.

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
OH my gosh he is beautiful! He is scrumptious. I love his names--actually they all have great names!

I personally hate the Graco clips--we tried DD1 in a SafeSeat2 and I didn't even leave her in long enough to take pictures. The clip is horrible.

My DD2 was 7lbs 5oz at birth and she actually fit great in her seat--she was in a good inch above the bottom slots of her Combi Tyro.

Laurenc0101

What did you do about his poor little chin?

We tried to pull his outfit up (to keep the straps off his neck and his chin off the plastic) and that helped a bit. Probably a no-no, but we also pulled the chest clip closer to the buckle for a few weeks. It gave him a little bit more room to move his chin around and he was a bit happier. As big as that chest clip is, it still kept the harness in the right spot. Other than that, it was just a few weeks of waiting until he got a little bit bigger. You can see in his 7 week picture it all fit a bit better. He was just getting to about 8 pounds by then and we could definately see a difference.

Also, I love your children's names! They are beautiful!!

Last edited:

lovinwaves

Why not try rolling up a washcloth to put between his crotch and buckle? That way it would lift him up in the seat. That might solve your chest clip and strap above the shoulders problem.

Precious BTW, just precious.... :love:

MumtotinyM

CONGRATULATIONS!! AWWW he is such a cutie.If the seat is that huge for your son at 7lbs 4ounce then there's no way a preemie could fit. I will have to show these pic's to my friend who is having twins.

hsjwmom

He is a perfect little doll! Thanks for sharing the pics...I really want a Keyfit, but had been considering a Safeseat because of price. Based on the fit of your sweety, I don't think the Safeseat will work for us...the girls were both 5# something oz when they went home so I'm expecting another bitty baby. So again, beautiful baby and I appreciate the pics!

keri1292

Wow, it does look like it swallowed him up. But, he's soooo cute! I can almost smell the new baby smell. Ahhh...must...not...make...baby...must wait... Oh, you're making it difficult! And what a cool name.:thumbsup:
Are your babies fast growers? Could he fit just fine in 2-3 weeks with a good amount of the booby juice? My kids gained slowly, so the SS1 wouldn't be the best choice for us in the beginning.
Congrats again!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC