wwyd, illegal 5pt seat or booster...

which seat would you use

• husky

Votes: 31 79.5%
  • parkway

Votes: 8 20.5%

• Total voters

thrillhouse

we have an illegal husky that expires in 2 years, and we have a canadian parkway. my son weighs 42 lbs and is just over 40 inches tall. he fits the parkway very well. He also has only one kidney due to cancer. I like the 5 point of the husky, but it is a huge seat and takes up a 2/3 of our back seat. the V shaped top tether also prevents us placing our hatch cover on which is supposed to prevent the contents of our trunk from flying forward in a crash. In the husky my son has open space on either side of his torso, but in the parkway he is hugged and held really well. I like the TSIP for protection of his abdomen.

would you keep using the husky or move to the parkway?

ADS

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
we have an illegal husky that expires in 2 years, and we have a canadian parkway. my son weighs 42 lbs and is just over 40 inches tall. he fits the parkway very well. He also has only one kidney due to cancer. I like the 5 point of the husky, but it is a huge seat and takes up a 2/3 of our back seat. the V shaped top tether also prevents us placing our hatch cover on which is supposed to prevent the contents of our trunk from flying forward in a crash. In the husky my son has open space on either side of his torso, but in the parkway he is hugged and held really well. I like the TSIP for protection of his abdomen.

would you keep using the husky or move to the parkway?

If your son is over the age of 5 and is able to sit correctly in the Parkway, I would be using that seat.

thrillhouse

He is almost 4, and does sit well in the parkway. We took it for a test run today and I locked the belt so he was just as secure as in the 5 pt, IMO. Possibly even more secure since he hasn't got that extra space at his sides. I know it's touchy since he is not quite 4, but it's only a few weeks. The law in this province doesn't specify age 4 for a booster, only that children under 5 must be in an appropriate fitting seat for their height and weight, (which he is in either seat)

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
I honestly have never known a single almost 4 year old, or 4 year old for that matter, that could sit still in a booster 100% of the time. What happens when the one time he's not in position is the one time that a collision occurs?

Brain synapses do not develp until age 5 or 6... which is the impulse control to help kids to sit still and correctly in a booster.

He would be staying in the Husky or I would be getting him an approved Canadian seat. I would be looking at a combo seat or a Radian in this situation.

I'm not understanding why you can't have your hatch cover on? I had a Marathon (same v-shaped tether) in my dh's hatchback car and the cover goes on no problem.

I also wanted to let you know that those hatch covers will not do much to prevent items from flying around in a collision... they are merely there to block people from seeing into your 'trunk space'.

Edited to add: He's nowhere even close to as secure in a locked 3pt seatbelt as he is in a 5pt restraint. A 5 pt restraint allows the crash forces to be spread over the strongest areas of the body and MORE areas of the body which will help to disburse the impact to your child. Please don't kid yourself into thinking a locked seatbelt can take the place of a 5pt restraint.

I voted Parkway, but knowing his age now, there is NO WAY this child should be in a booster.

I'm not trying to sound super mean... I just want you to understand the importance of what you are thinking about. You obviously cared a great deal to go across the border and purchase a safe illegal seat to use up here. I think you need to remember why you made that decision.

canadianmom2three

I may very possibly be totally off base with this one, but what about using the 86Y harness with the parkway, that way you would have the harness and the TSIP - that said not sure if we have access to the 86Y here, there was another post from a canadian trying to get it in with DR. perscription, but no idea how that turned out....anyone??

thrillhouse

I honestly have never known a single almost 4 year old, or 4 year old for that matter, that could sit still in a booster 100% of the time. What happens when the one time he's not in position is the one time that a collision occurs?

Brain synapses do not develp until age 5 or 6... which is the impulse control to help kids to sit still and correctly in a booster.

He would be staying in the Husky or I would be getting him an approved Canadian seat. I would be looking at a combo seat or a Radian in this situation.

I'm not understanding why you can't have your hatch cover on? I had a Marathon (same v-shaped tether) in my dh's hatchback car and the cover goes on no problem.

I also wanted to let you know that those hatch covers will not do much to prevent items from flying around in a collision... they are merely there to block people from seeing into your 'trunk space'.

Edited to add: He's nowhere even close to as secure in a locked 3pt seatbelt as he is in a 5pt restraint. A 5 pt restraint allows the crash forces to be spread over the strongest areas of the body and MORE areas of the body which will help to disburse the impact to your child. Please don't kid yourself into thinking a locked seatbelt can take the place of a 5pt restraint.

I voted Parkway, but knowing his age now, there is NO WAY this child should be in a booster.

I'm not trying to sound super mean... I just want you to understand the importance of what you are thinking about. You obviously cared a great deal to go across the border and purchase a safe illegal seat to use up here. I think you need to remember why you made that decision.

2 years ago I would have written the same post you wrote me, so take this with the kindness with which I am speaking.
He does sit very still in the car, he has never been one to monkey around in his seat, never tried to undo his harness etc. He sits perfectly still the entire car ride, every time. Plus, with the belt locked it is impossible for him to lean out or position himself in any way other than exactly right.
I really like this forum, the moms and techs here do a great deal of education, but I also feel that some feel if a child is not in a 5 point harness until they are 9 or 10 years old, that the parents are doing a great disservice to the kids. I do agree that a 5 point is safer, but it does not mean that a child is unsafe in a booster when the child fits properly and sits properly. How much safer is he in the husky than in the parkway? 300%? 125.356%? 2%? 0.0001%? show me some numbers, you must have them.
I did look at radians and he has been in our friend's radian but he says it is not comfortable for him. we have a cottage in the country and go on long car rides where he will often sleep, and he needs to be comfortable, the radian does not fit the bill for us. He does also have a long torso and would not last long in the radian. I also looked at getting a combo seat, but he would not fit very well in the harness for long at all, plus the only booster with TSIP (which is of utmost importance to us for him) is the parkway, afaik.
the way our hatch cover goes on, it hooks into the back of the seat, so there is no gap between it and the rear seats. there are three holes designed for the top tethers to pass through but since they are V tethers, they are too wide to pass through properly and the hatch cover interferes with the proper use of the tether. The cover we have is very sturdy. I understand that it will not stop loose bricks from flying through, we don't carry those btw, but it is safer to use the hatch cover than not use it, right?
we do of course still have our husky, so depending how things go we may choose to put him back in it. I'm just saying that if you saw him in both seats side by side you would understand. Even my husband says that ds fits the booster better and he feels more comfortable with his kidney protected in it rather than his abdomen being out in the open in the husky.

QuassEE

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Why is this a choice between the Parkway and the Husky alone? The Radian, admittedly, is uncomfortable for many kids. The Marathon, however, is quite comfortable for most children. It offers great support, and because movement is more limited in a 5pt versus a BPB, there's some decent side impact protection there.

Definitely for that 40lbs-55lbs range I LOVE the Marathon (my 9 year old outgrew the Marathon at 55lbs by height 3-4 years ago...) My son is 38-40lbs and we just moved him from his Marathon into a Regent since he no longer sleeps in the car (he's 4.5)... but if he was a car sleeper, I'd still have him in the Marathon for sure. We also use the Parkway in our second car for quick trips here and there..but even at 4.5, I don't believe he's mentally or physically mature enough to sit in it for any period of time. Heck, my 9 year old still falls over while in his booster (and he's 95lbs and has long since outgrown both his Parkway and his Husky) while sleeping! I wish we had a 5-pt for him some days.

My vote is this--pick up a Marathon, and use that as a primary seat or for any long hauls.. Then save the Parkway for quick trips in other vehicles..?

-N.

Connor's Mom

Please do not take offense as it is hard to convey attitude in writing. :)
I have to agree with aidensmom02 and her post 100%. I really do not think that you will find anyone here that will agree with you that a 3 year old (almost 4) is as safe in a booster as they are in a 5-point harness.

Is it even legal to have a 3 year old in a booster in Canada as it is not here (in the majority) in the US?

Plus, from the wording of your last post is appears that you have already made up your mind that he is OK in the booster so I really do not know what info we could offer you to change your mind.:shrug-shoulders:

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
I agree with you 100% about not needing a 9 or 10 year old harnessed... however, we are talking about an 'almost' 4 year old. I just can not say that is safe to have him out of a harness yet. If he was almost 5, maybe that wouldn't be so bad, but at 3 turning 4, he is just too young.

It's not all about sitting still. He is still little and a 5pt harness will spread crash forces over his body much better than a 3 pt harness. Especially considering you have locked the seatbelt. The seatbelts are not designed to be locked on people. They are designed to lock in a collision... which would allow some slack in a seatbelt and allow for a little more ride down time in that collision. These are my thoughts on a locked seatbelt with what I know about physics and collisions, I can not back them up with evidence... I haven't looked for any. ;) :D

I really do think that at his age and size he is safer in the Husky, even considering that you feel he is more open with his kidney. Have you considered that his kidney is more protected in the 5pt for the simple fact that the crash forces are spread out better and therefore his organs are not smooshing around as much in a collision. Someone posted videos on here awhile ago that showed a 5pt restraint vs. a boostered child in a crash test. Very compelling evidence to keep your child in a 5pt harness at this age. The boostered child actually slipped out of the seatbelt after the initial impact... had there been a secondary impact the child would not have been in position and would sustain some very serious injuries.

If you can't use the cover on the back seat, I would advise you to limit projectiles and maybe use a bungee cord to tie down anything you feel is less than safe. That combined with the sheer size of the Husky should prevent the majority of items coming through in a collision.

With my knowledge on this subject, there is just no way you can convince me that he is safer in a booster right now... especially at his age. I have seen and heard too many collision stories (especially in my training) that I KNOW he is safer in a 5pt at this time. I mean that in the most respectful way. I really hope you'll think about what I said. :eek:

Connor's Mom

Here is that crash video she was talking about with both the harnessed child and the booster child in the same car.The driver's side passenger is in a high back booster seat, and the passenger side is in a five-point harness seat.

Also, IMO, the lap belt of the 3-point booster set up (especially with the seatbelt in the locked position) would put more pressure on the abdominal area causing a greater risk of injury than would the openess of the 5-point harness in a crash.

thrillhouse

we do have a marathon for our 18 month old (who will be rfing until 33 lbs), but ds1 is too tall for it. even if he weren't it's not that easy for us to just "pick up a marathon" we paid close to 400 for the one we have :) for some people, money can be a factor. As I said though, we still have our husky. I haven't decided anything either way. we got the parkway to use as a spare and for travelling until the husky expires, but dh and I were both quite surprised at how much better it seems to fit him. that is why I am asking here.

however, AFAIK, crash tests do not take into account the age of the child, only stature. when you only knew his weight and height, you decided that a booster would fit him well and he would be fine in it.

Connor's Mom

however, AFAIK, crash tests do not take into account the age of the child, only stature. when you only knew his weight and height, you decided that a booster would fit him well and he would be fine in it.

Yes, he may be as big as an older child but increased height/weight does not = increased maturity. :twocents:

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
when you only knew his weight and height, you decided that a booster would fit him well and he would be fine in it.

NO, I didn't. I very specifically stated in my first sentence was that IF he was OVER 5 years old I would pick the Parkway.

Crash tests also take into account that your child will NEVER move out of position... yet this happens too. ;)

Simplysomething

I really like this forum, the moms and techs here do a great deal of education, but I also feel that some feel if a child is not in a 5 point harness until they are 9 or 10 years old, that the parents are doing a great disservice to the kids..

Of course some MIGHT feel that way. But the majority just want kids in appropriate restraints for their size, age and maturity levels.

CDNTech

Senior Community Member

thrillhouse

Yes, he may be as big as an older child but increased height/weight does not = increased maturity. :twocents:

how does a crash test dummy demonstrate maturity? I said before that he sits well and does not move at all in his seat. he may point to things out the window, but he is not changing positions, or shifting at all. he is mature in his seat, I promise :love: my point is that crash tests are based on weight and height which he exceeds the minimums for this seat. law in my province states that children under 5 must be in an approved seat for their height and weight. it says nothing about 4yo and 40 lbs, although I do understand why that is standard everywhere else. our laws are old, but it's not like I'm putting a tiny child in a booster. I have the headrest on his parkway up on the 4th setting. he's not a small kid.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC