DVD systems - safety questions

Trina

We're in the process of getting a 2004 AWD Toyota Sienna. We want the DVD system. While calling around we have been told that the DVD system can be installed at the dealership if they don't have a van in stock with a factory installed DVD system. Of course I'm concerned about safety. Is a dealership installed DVD system as safe as a factory installed one???

Trina
CPS Tech

ADS

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
I don't think safety would be a concern with any DVD system mounted into the celing or seat backs.

On the other hand, I would still insist on a factory DVD system for other reasons. It will be covered under the vehicle warranty, and not by the dealer or some 3rd party that is likely to deny claims or go out of business. Also, you know there won't be any electrical issues or other problems related to installation. Other than in-dash stereo equipment, I'm always a little skeptical of custom installations that require any cutting or other modifications.

TXDani

Senior Community Member
I know that when we bought our Cadillac Escalade that the one we wanted did not have the TV/DVD system in it, so the dealer installed one. It was still the factory system and they had a professional installed come to the dealership to install it. I don't know if Toyota is different, but it may still be the same system that the factory would install.

J

jd1089

Some cars come to dealerships from the factory without the DVD/entertainment system...

these cars are usually sent out to stores and installed by your local stereo/electrical shop tech.

I went and had a aftermarket dvd system installed w/ a larger screen and more options for a cheaper price than the factory/dealer...and the dvd player was still a top brand. I also purchased a 5 yr warranty/guarantee, still cheaper.

SAFETY-WISE...be careful of where these systems are installed...as long as they dont interfere w/ your driving and view. Also look if you may hit these devices in a crash. If I was crazy and put in a 15" monitor? I would probably hit my head on the monitor during a side impact collision.

By law (in CA) and safety reasons, the "tv/dvd/monitor" is not to be in view of the driver....while driving, the monitor shall not be activated/running/displaying any picture if installed forward of the front headrests...kind of like the tinted windows in the driver and pass side forward windows.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC