Infant seat that is less inclined?

chasingboys

My good friend had a baby with Down Syndrome. They think it's mosaic downs because she doesn't really have all of the DS markers and no health issues except she keeps randomly desating. She failed the carseat test this morning in a SS1. We are wondering if there is an infant seat that has less of an incline. Spam me :) we would like to find something quick. Her next carseat test is tomorrow.

ADS

Baylor

I would not want my child leaving the hospital if they could not pass seat test.
I'm wondering if having it in the car would make it more or less reclined?

Sorry. I know it's not what you asked. Just had me pondering. ;)

auto correct hates me

aeormsby

I know the techs will know more (and there are a few techs here that work in hospitals/nurseries). But they should be making sure the carseat is reclined at 45 degrees for the test. And make double sure that it's reclined to that in the vehicle also. Rolled blankets along the side of the LO after they're buckled to keep the body aligned are OK, as is a rolled washcloth between the baby bottom & the crotch strap to keep the baby from slouching down more (if there's a definite gap at the crotch).

Are you asking if it can be more reclined? Not safe at all. No carseat allows for more than a 45 degree recline, possible problems with more recline could be too much pressure on the shoulders/spine in an accident, over reclining of the seat during an accident and I'm sure other potential problems. A carbed could be an options but generally that's a last resort as they generally aren't considered as safe as a RF seat.

I agree with Baylor, if the baby is having problems with breathing and isn't passing the test I wouldn't be in a hurry to go home.

trippsmom

CPST Instructor
I just don't know. Are you looking for something that puts the baby more flat? If so, I'd look at the CCO. If it was one with the split insert, I could see where the bottom would aid in alignment and not using the head piece would let her "lay back".

chasingboys

Thanks guys. I agree that I would not want my child going home if they didn't pass the carseat test. The nicu nurse mentioned that some infant seats have less of an incline to them so I thought I would ask. I don't think she really knew that was just what she told my friend. So I thought about it and thought maybe the safety 1st infant seat looked less inclined than the ss1. The seat was not on a base, it was just sitting on the ground.

Brianna

How the seat sits on the ground isn't necessarily how it sits on the car. I would first make sure that the seat is at 45 degrees both in the car and for the car seat test before considering a bed.

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
Well yes some may be more/less reclined than others when sitting on the ground. But in the vehicle, they are typically installed at a 45 degree angle for a newborn so it would make sense for the hospital to test at the angle indicated in the user manual. Else there isn't much point to the test.

Many seats have levels on either the seat or the base, that indicate when it's at the correct angle. Some have adjustable recline levels on the base, like the SnugRide 35 for example, and with that there is a blue range of acceptable angles. None greater than 45 degrees though.

ETA: took a long time to hit Send so repeated some of what Brianna said!

Sent from my iPhone using Car-Seat.Org

canadiangie

The seat needs to be on the base during the test, and the recline foot on the base needs to be lowered enough so that the angle indicator is to the last bit of blue that is permitted. There is a range of "all blue" on Graco seats, and it makes a huge difference in terms of the seat's interior angle.

I would remove any infant padding from the seat, and instead use rolled receiving blankets along her sides and head. (unless she is between 4 and 5 pounds and this is a new SR32/35 that requires the infant insert between 4 and 5 pounds).

Another seat to try might be the KeyFit with just the bottom of the infant padding in. Skipping the head padding will allow her head to lay further back, possibly keeping her oxygen levels up. Use rolled receiving blankets beside for head for support instead.

I would only use a carbed as a last resort.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
They need to recline it to the maximum recline, as others have stated. For some infant seats, and that may include this one, that may actually even be more than 45 degrees. get it so it's barely in the blue. They should be using blankets, foam, whatever necessary to make sure that the seat is reclined properly as it will be in the vehicle when they do the ATT.

I agree, ideally a car bed should not be used. Better to work out a way for the baby to pass the test or keep her a few days longer instead.

krasota

I assume the NICU staff are using an appropriate angle, but it is worth asking about. When my daughter had her carseat test, the nurse used rolled blankets to get her SR35 to the proper angle, as the floor of the NICU is much more level than the seat in most cars. The seat needed one solidly rolled blanket, I believe, in addition to cranking the angle adjust bit on the base. Rolled blankets were used on either side of her head. The infant padding was fine (not technically required as she was above 5lbs by then) for her, but would have been removed for a second try if there had been problems.

How long of a test are they requiring? How long of a ride home? We live pretty much next door to the NICU and girlie had a two hour test. Folks living further away had 5+ hour tests.

Does the nurse think fit is an issue more than tone?

chasingboys

Thank you so much guys. The test was 2hrs long! She lives about 20min from the NICU. The baby did pass in the SS1 today and has been fine. Our nicu didnt put the seats on the base at close to 45 degrees but they will now ;-) She was term and almost 7lbs. She does fit much better in the keyfit, so I recommended she use that until baby is a little bigger.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC