Child sleeping in low back booster - options?

onetwo3

My son, 8 years 8 months, outgrew his Britax Regent last fall (shoulders at harness height). I gave it to a friend, as it was nearing its expiration date, and I know she'd destroy it upon expiration.

He then moved to a high back booster. However, the Turbobooster was extended all the way, and not really keeping the belt above shoulder height.

He was trying a low back booster for a while, but on longer car rides, even one for 45 minutes yesterday, has the tendency to fall asleep. And when he does? He slumps sideways.

What are my options? We have an Odyssey. Do you think moving him to the captain's chairs in the middle row may provide him with more support to keep him from slumping? What are some inexpensive booster options? From browsing it looks like the Parkway (not sure it will last long enough) and the Frontier (not wanting to spend that money).

I also have 2 Graco Nautilus'. Any chance those may fit better?

ADS

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
The Nautilus and Turbo are among the shortest boosters out there, those extra few inches on the Parkway or Monterey can last a couple extra years for sleep support. The Safety 1st boost air is also huge and comfy and generally low priced, might be a good travel seat... here's my big kid in one https://picasaweb.google.com/104971...hkey=Gv1sRgCJ-XweDvxcD-VA#5604773358970122850 (she never slept in it, but the 4 yo we gave it to does and he stays upright :)) http://www.overstock.com/Baby/Safet...at-in-Newsboy/6593106/product.html?cid=123620

ginny4

My DD 8yo uses a monterey on longer rides when she'll fall asleep for sure. HOWEVER while i love that i have that option....its not going to last very long. she is so close to outgrowing it. IMHO i wouldn't buy a new booster for such a short time for one kid unless you can pass it down. though maybe the parkway is taller than the monterey?? i'm not sure.
oh i see your siggy now. you can easily pass a booster down the line.
when my DD does fall asleep in the backless she kinda wakes up & adjusts herself. I have given her a blanket or pillow or sweatshirt or whatever i can find in the car to provide some sort of pillow that can prop her up a bit better.

keri1292

My DD 8yo uses a monterey on longer rides when she'll fall asleep for sure. HOWEVER while i love that i have that option....its not going to last very long. she is so close to outgrowing it. IMHO i wouldn't buy a new booster for such a short time for one kid unless you can pass it down.

I disagree. The child falls out of position and is therefore not properly restrained. I really don't see another option. Unless you think you can keep him awake every ride and be diligent enough to watch him. I try to keep my 7yo awake because he won't go to bed at a reasonable hour and it's difficult. I start singing along to a song, forget for two minutes, look in the rear view and he's down for the count. :rolleyes: I would get a Monterey. My dd is 11 and still uses it when we take long trips.

Baylor

keri1292 said:
I disagree. The child falls out of position and is therefore not properly restrained. I really don't see another option. Unless you think you can keep him awake every ride and be diligent enough to watch him. I try to keep my 7yo awake because he won't go to bed at a reasonable hour and it's difficult. I start singing along to a song, forget for two minutes, look in the rear view and he's down for the count. :rolleyes: I would get a Monterey. My dd is 11 and still uses it when we take long trips.

http://www.smugmug.com/gallery/22759732_59z8rB#!i=1865074188&k=jPXx4PT&lb=1&s=A

I agree. I let 8 yrold son use lbb but on long trips or night trips he uses Probooster or I have put him in fr85. If he sleeps he goes in hbb.

It's worth the investment to make sure child is safe.

auto correct hates me

Kat_Momof3

that doesn't surprise me (him outgrowing the turbo already) as that's what Damian had happen when he outgrew his Britax Husky/Regent.

Taller boosters would be the Diono Monterey, the Recaro Probooster/Vivo, and the Britax Parkway

if he can't stay perfectly upright (with his head leaning back or to the side) the whole time while sleeping in the car yet, then he needs a highback booster.

lorismurph

Senior Community Member
The Oobr is a super tall booster as well. It is a bit short in the leg support area but super tall if that helps.

ginny4

Its not that I think that being out of position is OK - it's not. I want the OP to be aware that a Monterey is not a solution for years to come. Unless the child has a different growth pattern. After out growing the Turbo the Monterey gave them an additional 1-1.5 yrs. I was dissapointed but I did have children to pass it down to. The OP according to siggy can get good use out of another tall booster by passing it down to the other children. It all comes down to parental decision if you want to spend the money on a new booster or find an alternative way. Thankfully my DD on occasion is learning how to remain more upright in a backless. Good thing since the Monterey is on the outs for her

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC