Double Stroller recommendation

jewey74

I am looking for a dual stroller that won't break my back while trying to maneuver it in and out of the van and also won't break the bank. I have a 2 1/2 year old and 4 month old. I currently have a Maclaren Triumph and a cheap Graco. It works fine when my husband is with me, but I'd like to be able to take the kids for a walk or to the mall by myself. I've checked craigslist, but I live in a pretty rural area in Central Illinois and there just isn't much out there.

Would love to hear your recommendations. Thank you!

Edited to add: I should say that I would mainly be using this for short trips to the mall, a stroll around our subdivision (No sidewalks so would be on the paved road), maybe a trip once a year to the zoo, etc.

Last edited:
ADS

whiteyacht

I love my Babies R Us lightweight side-by-side. If your 4 mo has good head control, I think it would work well for your needs. It does recline, but not flat.

Kegracin

I would start stalking the Craigslist- I checked the Springfield craigslist (there wasn't much on the bloomington/normal and I have no idea whats really considered Central IL, I'm from WI and now live south of Rockford) and found a combi double stroller and phil and teds side by side double. I have the combi double while its not my favorite it has plenty of great reviews its not heavy....I ended up getting an all terrain stroller which fits my life style better.

If you could be convinced to spend more I would say to look at the baby jogger city mini double....as its really awesome push and light the fold is amazing however they run in the 399.xx for 2011 model and year. Or I'm finding the [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8jM07kLgpo"]britax b-agile [/ame] for 369 at amazon. Her review looks really promising and there are a lot of members here that like the single version of it.

jewey74

THanks for the recommendations. I wish I had somewhere close that had these strollers in stock. I hate buying something without actually feeling it and seeing how it works in person. For those that have the City Mini, how does it do for getting in between clothing racks at department stores and such? My husband thinks it will be too cumbersome.

I have emailed the person on craigslist that has the Phil and Ted's, but they must have already sold it as I've received no response.

romanoma

the BJCMD is fine for most stores, target, clothing stores, etc. Probably not good for a boutique type store or very narrow city streets. I got one for my mom to take grandkids around, they were on sale last year for 299. she has a bad back and can lift it easily, and has great storage.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I have a CMD and it does pretty well in most stores. :) It's not quite as narrow as the Mac double but it's more maneuverable; tradeoff. But then, I've been known to take my Mountain Buggy double into stores and that's a true all-terrain and a bit wider and much higher, and I still haven't had any problems with it (except the occasional tight squeeze through a barely-ADA accessible door.)

If you just want a really cheap lightweight and don't need to use it where push matters too much, there's this one: http://www.cribs.com/baby-gear/strollers/jeepwranglertwinsportallweatherstroller.cfm

This one looks to be a small step up from that: http://www.cribs.com/baby-gear/strollers/dreamonmetwinstrollerblack.cfm

I've heard good things about the push and steering on even the lightweight Mia Moda strollers: http://www.cribs.com/baby-gear/strollers/miamodafaciletwinstrollernavy.cfm

The Foundations is going to last a long time, this is a quality brand, commercial-grade designed for frequent use by daycares, etc. This one has a higher weight capacity and very tall seats, with nicer, foam-filled tires and all their strollers have a nice push, but the tradeoff is it's a bit heavier (though still an umbrella fold, which should be pretty easy to wrangle in and out of a car): http://www.cribs.com/baby-gear/strollers/foundationstheduodoublesidebysidestroller.cfm

Celeste

I am not a fan of most tandems...my kids would fight too much about who sat where....we have used the baby jogger city mini double for several Disney trips and really loved it. We own a baby planet double which I also like for the mall but it's not as good on other terrain...my neighbors also have the bjcmd for their twins and really liked it! They had a rider board for their 3-5 year old until he didn't need it anymore as well...it's a great stroller!

likes2shopalot

CPS Technician
I am still looking for a double. I would love to have the BJCM but am having a hard time justifying spending that much. Do any if you have an opinion on the Joovy double? I ask because of this Craigslist posting http://peoria.craigslist.org/bab/3167743505.html

Any input would be appreciated.

If its the new Joovy double that looks to be a great deal. If its the old style Groove2 Double, the seats are extremely narrow and it was very hard to push.

soph's mom

I have the Jeep brand double stroller and I actually love it. It's not one of the high end brands and I'm really not sure who makes it but it does have good suspension and good padding.

Lilybug1

I'd also put in another vote for the Baby Jogger City Mini Double. I love how easy it is to fold. We've used at Disney a number of times - getting on/off transportation bus/monorail, etc. My brother even asked to use it when they went for the same reason. It is deceptively narrow. For the longest time when the baby was tiny, I thought it didn't fit through my front door so I would actually fold and unfold every time I brought it in, until one day, it occurred to me to try it and it fit fine!

The main reason why I bought it was because I have a 4 year old and 1 year old. The uppa baby and other doubles with the jump/rumble seat have a minimum weight requirement. My 4 year old is pretty big (45lb/45inches). Even though her legs kind of hang out of the BJCM, I liked that the weight limit was higher and she doesn't complain about riding in it ever! In fact, she gets upset when I take the single out and she doesn't have a stroller to ride in.

The only thing that has piqued my curiousity since then. Are those sit-n-stand or Joovy Caboose thingys. I think an older child (4 year old) would appreciate the option to hop on and off the back and I like that those have thes snap-n-go option for infant carriers, which the BJCM has a horrible adapter for the Chicco infant seat at least.

Lilybug1

I am not a fan of most tandems...my kids would fight too much about who sat where....we have used the baby jogger city mini double for several Disney trips and really loved it. We own a baby planet double which I also like for the mall but it's not as good on other terrain...my neighbors also have the bjcmd for their twins and really liked it! They had a rider board for their 3-5 year old until he didn't need it anymore as well...it's a great stroller!

You can get a rider board for the bjcmd?

Lilybug1

I realize you said money is an option with the BJCM, but you can sometimes get a good deal on the previous year's model. Very little changes from year to year in terms of features. Also, I think I've seen it on NBD before.

Spam

I also have a bjcm and really like it. Easy push, easy fold. Maybe our stores are setup different, but I have a hard time at places like gymboree or tcp just not enough room and I end up having to leave dh in the middle with the stroller while I look around. I also have a contours options lt. It's lighter than most tandem doubles and the seats can be reversed (it was recalled last week, but I already have my fix kit) I like to have E facing me still and it's not really long or wide. It can be folded with both seats on, I prefer to remove one or both for space. I also had a Graco Ipo, really liked it too, easy fold and nice push, I always wanted to try the double ipo.

Lilybug1

I'm not 100% sure, but I know that baby earth.com carries them for that much and I was able to use a coupon for a Britax before. I would think that if Britax is not excluded, then Baby Jogger has a good chance too. I did a quick search online and found a 15% off $49 order. Let me know if you can't find it.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC