Car seat safety frustration

tl01

It really is crazy how many different components one has to consider when planning to use car seats in a car. It really is no wonder that most parents don't get it right and just do whatever is easiest.

Today we are putting 3 kids... Two Rfers and 1 FFer and 5 adults in my 2012 MY car. I traded in my super kid seat friendly minivan so I knew this would be a challenge. First, I had to plan out where all the seats would go, how to arrange to gain access to the third row, had to consider that no RFers are permitted in the third row, make sure the FFer was in the center of third row bc there is no headrest there (stupid), then make sure I could still use the tether on the trunk sill for my radian given we have two strollers in the trunk. I also had to twist the buckle stalk to fit the radian belt path bc the buckle was too long. I also need access to lots of seats to get a combo that worked and had to know that even though DS1 is slightly over the top slots of the radian... That he'd be okay in that seat given the radian exception. Boosters weren't working bc they were too wide and they also were sitting over on the buckle too much.

Then to gain access to the third row I had to puzzle using a toddler orbit G2 rfing with base and a radian with an angle adjuster. That combo didn't spill over into the outboard seat so the outboard one can flip forward. Now seriously, how many parents would have given so much time to getting their car seat set up just right if they are not techs. I'm sure there were other considerations... I just can't remember them right now.

Last edited:
ADS

TXDani

Senior Community Member
Haha that's one reason I hate middle bench seats... Unless I have six kids ( of my own) I will never buy another car with a bench in the middle.
Sorry for the frustration...at least your ride is hot, that makes it all worth it, right?!?! ;)

Sent from my iPad using Car-Seat.Org

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
Ya, most parents just don't let stuff like that affect them much. they need to go somewhere, they put the kids in. With whatever seats they have, regardless of whether or not they fit, etc. And if 3 seats wont fit, like physically wont fit, not just wont fit with good installs, then someone goes without a seat. No big. thats just what you HAVE to do, right? I mean, you gotta go somewhere, so you get in the car.

canadiangie

It might just be your vehicle and your seats. I know that sounds mildly offensive, because you have a smokin' ride and 'good' seats, but IME an easy 3 across or toting four+ kids takes some strategy. I haul 5 kids in my SUV and it's a *breeze*. Everything meshes together beautifully and I put my minivan mama friends into jaw-on-ground mode when they see that it can be done.

If hauling 3+ kids is going to be something you do on a regular basis you might need different seats. Maybe, because I'm not exactly sure since I've yet to work in your vehicle. I've oogled, but never been inside one. Anyway, glad you made it work for today. :)

tl01

It might just be your vehicle and your seats. I know that sounds mildly offensive, because you have a smokin' ride and 'good' seats, but IME an easy 3 across or toting four+ kids takes some strategy. I haul 5 kids in my SUV and it's a *breeze*. Everything meshes together beautifully and I put my minivan mama friends into jaw-on-ground mode when they see that it can be done.

If hauling 3+ kids is going to be something you do on a regular basis you might need different seats. Maybe, because I'm not exactly sure since I've yet to work in your vehicle. I've oogled, but never been inside one. Anyway, glad you made it work for today. :)

Well... The part I didn't add until I edited my post was that we have 5 adults in the car too. I don't have a problem with just 3 kids. I own most every seat out there so that isn't the issue.

My vehicle is slightly challenging in the there's only two sets of latch and three tethers... Really the tethers are the issue. Also, most every car is a challenge for us by we have really long legs and need lots of front space so rfing seats are a problem in terms of location. The only besides this one where we have been comfy is the current toyota sienna by the seats go so far back... But the that ruins the 3rd row for adults.

I just know that no one else I know would have done a tenth of the planning I did to get the seats in the car.

I already have a seat plan for three across for when we start taking our carpool again and in general this car is accommodating in that respect bc it is super wide. It was just the challenge of adding the two full size adults in the back and easy access for a grandma for today.

tl01

Haha that's one reason I hate middle bench seats... Unless I have six kids ( of my own) I will never buy another car with a bench in the middle.
Sorry for the frustration...at least your ride is hot, that makes it all worth it, right?!?! ;)

We needed the bench to fit the five adults. I would also need the bench for driving everyone around when we have visitors.

TXDani

Senior Community Member
tl01 said:
We needed the bench to fit the five adults. I would also need the bench for driving everyone around when we have visitors.

I make the adults jog next to me if they don't fit ;)

Jessica61624

I feel the same way. There were so many steps I had to do just to FF my radian. Then I had to explain to my sister what to do so he could rf again since I had just had the baby.

arly1983

I know exactly what you mean. I know that I thought it would be easy to get 3-across in the terrain with all my seats and experience. It was awful. My own mother and sister kept suggesting taking my oldest out of a booster and putting him in the middle where there is no headrest and things like that. They are more carseat knowledgable so I can see what would be going through the average persons mind.

canadiangie

Omgoodness. Yes, 3 in seats + 5 adults ups the challenge for sure.

Tether anchor numbers and placement is helpful.

I'm trying to think how that would work for me..

1st row: Driver and passenger.
2nd row: Rf, rf, adult.
3rd row: Adult, ff, adult.

I think that's how you did it, hey?

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
You're totally right. They market vehicles as "8-passenger" but really, the gymnastics required to truly safely seat 8 is astounding. Like Angie, I can easily breeze five kids in and out of my vehicle (4 RF and a booster, 3 RF, 1 FF and a booster) with space for myself and two other adults but honestly, I can only do that because I'm a carseat nerd -- and because I have l/s belts, headrests and TAs in all positions. If I was restricted to certain seats in certain orientations in certain positions (like I was with my van,) it would make life a lot harder!

Anyways, good on you for making it work! :) How did the adult on the non-access side of the 3rd row do crawling back in there?

Nimommyof2

Oh it is crazy I can't believe how much work is required and totally get if you don't do the research how most people don't know. Even on this site I found lots of conflicting info when searching threads trying to decide which vehicle to get and seats that work etc... I ended up having to spend $600plus on two carseats(one needed to be bought $350 the other I was only hoping to spend less than $100 but it wasn't possible.

mamakc

I can relate. Today, last minute, I had to send my DD with another family in their vehicle. I had an extra booster so I could have taken the easy way out and given them that with instruction to put her in a second row headrest/shoulder belt seating position. But knowing that 8 people would be filling the 8 passenger Expedition, with two lap only belts and only 4 headrests TOTAL, I decided to take out my perfectly installed rf radian, that I wont move for NOTHING usually lol, and take the time to adjust it for her to use FF. I installed it in the center of the 3rd row, rather than letting one of their kids ride in that lap belt (1 kids still had to, of course). Also picked the radian because there was no tether.

I agree, most do not put that much thought or effort into it.

-Krista
DD~5 Monterey /youth booster
DS~3~ Maestro / radian
DN~1~ Radian xtsl

tl01

Omgoodness. Yes, 3 in seats + 5 adults ups the challenge for sure.

Tether anchor numbers and placement is helpful.

I'm trying to think how that would work for me..

1st row: Driver and passenger.
2nd row: Rf, rf, adult.
3rd row: Adult, ff, adult.

I think that's how you did it, hey?

That's exactly what we did! ;)

mamakc

What 2012 hot new vehicle do you have, anyway?

-Krista
DS~3~ Maestro / radian
DN~1~ Radian xtsl

tl01

What 2012 hot new vehicle do you have, anyway?

-Krista
DS~3~ Maestro / radian
DN~1~ Radian xtsl

2012 qx56. It's pretty cool but I seats 8... So I don't know if I'd call it hot;).

tl01

In case anyone wants to know. All went well except I am still not pleased with the radian in the center. I might just declare it incompatible with the center 2nd row. The vehicle seat has one of those little bumps at the bottom which I believe SK doesn't like. The seat still touches the vehicle seat back though. Plus, the seat tilts too much. I know I've posted about that before.. Even with the Angle adjuster... It is just perfectly positioned to tip. Locking clip doesn't seem to help. Oh well, gives me a reason to get an RA for carpool;).

tl01

I make the adults jog next to me if they don't fit ;)

That might be an idea for next time... Maybe when my in laws are here;). This time it was some good friends. They might have been peeved at running for the 45 minute drive;). We were going to the big local fair... And it took 2 hours instead of 45 mins bc of traffic going in to park. Crazy!

tl01

You're totally right. They market vehicles as "8-passenger" but really, the gymnastics required to truly safely seat 8 is astounding. Like Angie, I can easily breeze five kids in and out of my vehicle (4 RF and a booster, 3 RF, 1 FF and a booster) with space for myself and two other adults but honestly, I can only do that because I'm a carseat nerd -- and because I have l/s belts, headrests and TAs in all positions. If I was restricted to certain seats in certain orientations in certain positions (like I was with my van,) it would make life a lot harder!

Anyways, good on you for making it work! :) How did the adult on the non-access side of the 3rd row do crawling back in there?

I was the adult crawling in and it wasn't too much of a problem. I just squeezed in. It's a pretty big car so I just used the space I had.

tl01

I can relate. Today, last minute, I had to send my DD with another family in their vehicle. I had an extra booster so I could have taken the easy way out and given them that with instruction to put her in a second row headrest/shoulder belt seating position. But knowing that 8 people would be filling the 8 passenger Expedition, with two lap only belts and only 4 headrests TOTAL, I decided to take out my perfectly installed rf radian, that I wont move for NOTHING usually lol, and take the time to adjust it for her to use FF. I installed it in the center of the 3rd row, rather than letting one of their kids ride in that lap belt (1 kids still had to, of course). Also picked the radian because there was no tether.

I agree, most do not put that much thought or effort into it.

-Krista
DS~3~ Maestro / radian
DN~1~ Radian xtsl
Good call! I totally would have done the same!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC