Question Need help choosing infant seat

U

Unregistered

We're expecting our first baby in just a few weeks, and as an American living in Canada and researching carseats for the first time, I had a bit of a learning curve. It has come to my attention that the seats available here are different (and fewer) than US seats, so my online research involving US websites turned out to be irrelevant in many cases, as certain seats aren't available here, etc. I also realized that since the seat standards are different here and there, it might be better to just buy an infant seat for now, since we will be moving back to the US possibly before the baby turns 6 months, and most likely before the baby is 1 yr. So we scratched the idea of starting with a convertible seat! Correct me if I've got the wrong information, but that's what I was told - a seat purchased in one country isn't approved/legal in the other country. And it appears that the weight/height limits are different, so if I bought a convertible seat here, it wouldn't be allowed to the same weight as it would be if purchased in the US (though I'm still unclear on this - are they the same seat and if used in the US it's approved for a higher weight than if it's used in Canada, or is the seat actually manufactured differently to allow for a higher or lower weight?). At any rate, we'd also like a seat that's approved for air travel, because as I mentioned, we will be moving back at some point. Of course we want safety and ease of use, and lightweight if possible since I have back issues. Any input as to which available infant seat is good for these concerns, generally easy to use/install, fits most babies (don't know what size/shape mine will be yet!)? I would greatly appreciate any help you can provide! Thanks!

ADS

QuassEE

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I'm wondering if Orbit was 2012 compliant with the dual certified US/Canada seats? Anyone?

Seats stickered for and sold in Canada are for use by Canadian residents. Seats stickered for and sold in the US are for use by US residents. So your other best option is to buy an infant seat here and then get a convertible seat when you return to the US. I think that's where you were going, right? :)

In actuality, most of the seat options in Canada are the same as those in the US, with only a handful of exceptions where seats are available in the US and not in Canada. Canada has implemented some more strict compliance requirements and thus we definitely do not have the same availability of seats, but I personally would be much more comfortable with a Canadian seat versus a US seat at this point. The most popular seats in the US are also the ones we see the most here in Canada, and they're widely available in stores (and online).

It sucks to replace seats when you move, but at least if it comes down to it you do only have one seat to replace. I moved to Canada from the US with two kids and I had four to seats to replace... And now I'm moving to the US from Canada with 4 kids and about 6 seats to replace.

If you want to go through your research list of US seats here and get some feedback, that would be great. You should ideally post what vehicle you have and any additional concerns you may have (eg. tall parent, expect a large child, etc.) Your research is most certainly still valid with regards to infant seats.

-Nicole.

U

Unregistered

Grrrr... I just finished typing this long reply and then lost the whole thing. Let's try again.

Yes, I like the Orbit because of the non-toxic construction and rotating base, which would be helpful for my back issues. But the price is indeed a bit much! I've wondered if their toddler seat would be worth it once we are back in the US, so if anyone has feedback about that one, I'd be glad to hear it.

Nicole, yes, I think we are saying the same thing - get the infant seat now and most of its lifespan will be used up by the time we move, versus a convertible which would have years of use left but would have to be sold. How did you handle selling the seats? It doesn't make sense to sell it once I get to the US, since it's not supposed to be used there. Yet we'll need a seat during the transition - on the airplane if we choose to use it, and in the rental car until our own cars arrive. Do you order a US compliant seat ahead of time and have it waiting for when you arrive there? (For instance, I could have it shipped to a friend's house and she could meet us at the airport and bring the seat with her.) But that doesn't help with on the plane. Hmm... logistics, logistics!

I thought I wanted the Cybex Aton until I discovered it isn't available in Canada. So I started on a list of what's available here. I got this Canadian list from this site which shows a Canadian flag icon beside the items and shows the different weight limits and such.
http://www.carseatsite.com/recommended_car_seats.htm#Infant/Toddler Seats_(Convertible_Seats)

I also saw some of the height/weight limits on Canadian retailers' websites, but should verify them with the manufacturers' websites (just haven't gotten to that yet).

Evenflo Embrace 35 - 4-35#, 19-30"

Britax B-Safe - 4-22#, up to 32"

Graco SnugRide 30 - up to 30# and 30"

Graco SnugRide 35 - up to 35#, 32#

Safety 1st Onboard Air - up to 22# and 29"

Maxi-Cosi Mico - up to 22# and 29"

Chicco KeyFit - up to 22# and 29"

Peg Perego Viaggo SIP 3030 - up to 30# and 30"

If you know of others I have overlooked and you would recommend, please do share!

I have noticed some discrepancy regarding the weight of the seats themselves. Reviewers mention how heavy the Peg Perego is, yet the Peg website says the seat is 11 lbs. Do seats come much lighter than that? Because I have back issues and fatigue, I definitely heed comments about heaviness - but it seems odd since I thought most seats are about that heavy, or heavier!

I'm 5'4" and my husband is 5"10" - so for me the issue will be reaching into the center of the back seat where the car seat will be. I think I'll have to get up into the back seat (sitting in the seat) to put the baby in/out, and then get back out of the vehicle. A little cumbersome, but I know the center is the safest spot. It's a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee. Our other vehicle is a 2008 Mazda 3, but it's rarely driven and won't be the main vehicle for transporting the baby; so the seat still needs to fit safe and secure in there, but my husband thinks we could go without an extra base for that car, since it's not the primary vehicle by any means. Can all of these seats be installed easily and correctly with the seat belt? This would also be relevant if we do end up on a plane or rental car with it. I have no idea what size my baby will be, so it seems like that's another good reason to start with an infant seat. Seems more likely it would fit well. Then we can get a convertible seat in the US and make sure it fits our particular baby well.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
I can't help with most of the US/Canadian issues except to say that while it's technically illegal to use a Canadian seat in most/all US states, it's extremely unlikely you'd be caught/penalized for it, especially during a transition period.

I just wrote a review of the Orbit Toddler seat here: http://carseatblog.com/17163/orbit-toddler-car-seat-g2-review-you-spin-me-right-round-toddler/ For someone who already has (or is planning to have) the Orbit infant seat, I think it's an awesome next step.

QuassEE

I didn't have an issue with getting rid of my foreign seats, since I moved 5 minutes north of the Canada/US border, and this was 10 years ago when nobody knew anything about carseats anyways... I'm going back down with a variety of US seats because we primarily use Clek Ollis now and those have the certification on the covers, so I've already swapped those out in preparation for our move. I also have a number of other US seats because my ex-husband uses those for my kids when he drives them anywhere, as well--he's a US resident. Then our Canadian seats we'll continue to use in one vehicle that will remain plated in BC and then we'll use our US seats in our oldest son's vehicle which will be plated in AZ. So I am lucky, this time.

Which state are you moving to? One option might be to give the seat to someone who is moving up, or to an instructor in that area to use for classes/educational purposes. If you're moving somewhere with a large Canadian population this will be quite easy, since you'll find someone in your reverse situation :)

I know that the KeyFit is really very light, but I'm not sure if there's something lighter. I have two herniated discs in my back, and so I struggle to even install seats some days let alone carry them around with a baby inside. The KF is also a pretty easy baseless install, which is why I thought of it as an option. All current infant seats have a seatbelt path installation option on the seat itself. The only infant seat I can think of that required the base for installation is the Peg Perego PV, but this was years ago now and won't be an issue for you in selecting a seat.

-N.

tam_shops

I guess it depends on if and/or how many friends you have here/there as to how and when you'd get rid of the infant bucket and then get a new seat. And, how close you live to the border, so you could get one in advance. Finally, if you plan on coming back, or a friend visiting to get rid of the bucket.

Safety, comfort and convenience wise, it's best to have baby/child in a car seat. Legally, I think kids under 2yo do not *need* one. I've always found it ironic that they even make you store your purse during take off/landing yet a baby can sit on your lap...

I see no need for a car set to swivel, even if you have a bad back b/c most kids that are too big/heavy to be lifted into a car seat are big enough to crawl into the seat themselves. Most of the time anyway.

As for which one I would get. Personally, I would *only* look at the larger seats b/c you do not want the LO to outgrow it before you wind up moving, so 35# and 32". Personally, since I know both my guys fit in the similar to the Graco SnugRide 35 until 18mth and you are planning on moving in a year or less after baby is born, I'd go for that. But, it's heavier and wider than some of the others ie SnugRide 30. Thought I'd mention that b/c you said you have a bad back. I also have back problems and am small and not strong. When I lifted my car seat out of the car, I just used to arms--one at each end. Then, put it down immediately into a stroller frame. Otherwise, I left it in the car and just lifted baby out.

tam

QuassEE

As for which one I would get. Personally, I would *only* look at the larger seats b/c you do not want the LO to outgrow it before you wind up moving, so 35# and 32".

Definitely a consideration I didn't acknowledge. I think if I were moving in a month or two and the seat was being outgrown, I'd probably try to secure a US seat somehow at that point.

-Nicole.

tam_shops

I think if I were moving in a month or two and the seat was being outgrown, I'd probably try to secure a US seat somehow at that point.

-Nicole.

Me too, and it would solve the getting rid of it problem. But, we live so close to the border, it'd be so easy for us...

My other thought process is that sometimes moves get delayed, then you'd still have that extra time/space to grow and not worry about getting an American seat. And, so nice to use a bucket when flying, taking cabs and/or jumping in cars w/ friends when doing everything it takes to move cross country w/ a baby. I have some friends that were planning on moving in July and now have delayed it to December...

tam

snowbird25ca

I'm wondering if Orbit was 2012 compliant with the dual certified US/Canada seats? Anyone?

-Nicole.

Orbit quit doing the dual certification on their seats back in late 2010 I believe - whatever year it was that they released the updated model in the US was when they discontinued the dual certification.

U

Unregistered

Ah, you live near the border! Sounds like that makes the process of selling the old seats and buying new ones much easier. We'll be heading to Texas, so not quite the same. :) I guess I could post it in the online classifieds there and see if we get any response from people moving this direction. You mentioned selling it here and acquiring a US seat here...but from what I've read, it's illegal to buy a US seat and bring it across the border here. Sounds like the logistics will need to be explored some more since we're heading farther away than you did!

So many factors to consider. Yes, moves can get delayed. Actually, we thought we'd be here longer, but now it looks like we will have to move sooner than we had thought - but yes, it could take another turn and get moved back later. For now it looks like we'll have to move when baby is between 4 and 6 months. So I had just figured we wouldn't be around here long enough to reach the higher weight/height limits, and some of them (like the Peg 30/30) are like $100 more than others - so I figured one with lower limits would be just fine. But I see your point. Considering what you are saying, based on weight limits, that would narrow things down to the Evenflo, the SnugRides, and the Peg Perego. But I think I've heard that height is usually maxed out before weight, right? So in that case, does it make a huge difference that one seat has a height limit of 29" and another has 30"? It's kind of funny that the B-Safe has limits of 22# and 32"; I guess if we knew ahead of time that our baby will be light but tall, that would be a good choice. The KeyFit does come in 30# limit, but not in Canada, right?

Regarding the SnugRides, I was told that some people have trouble with it not fitting on planes because of the recline and the tall shell. Can this also be an issue in vehicles? Is the SnugRide 35 different than the SnugRide 30 in this regard? Same trouble fitting on planes?

The Canadian Graco site doesn't say the weight of the seat, but the US site says the seat without the base weighs 9.7 lbs. I could've written your description myself - "I have back problems and am small and not strong." So even with a "lighter" seat, it will still be heavy to me - because a 10 pound baby becomes 20 or 25 pounds when being carried in the seat. So like you, I don't think I'll be carrying it very far! Hmm...just went back to their site and saw that the SnugRide 30 is only 7.5 lbs - is that one of the lightest seats on the market?

So if we go by weight AND height and narrow things down to the Evenflo Embrace, the Graco SnugRide 30 and 35, and the Peg Perego 30/30, what are your thoughts about those? Graco claims alot of testing above and beyond the required safety testing, and they say they are top-rated by consumer publications (I've been meaning to check out Consumer Reports for ratings; I assume this is what Graco is referring to). But I've also been told that all seats have passed safety testing; I guess Graco has just done more stringent testing and can say their seats pass even those tests? Other than the safety tests, what about ease of use - easy to install properly, harness and strap issues, likely to fit babies of most sizes/shapes, etc? I know the Peg has the thing that moves up and down instead of having to rethread the harness as baby grows taller. A lady at a local store was really emphasizing that point, and they really seemed to like the Peg. She said she never felt safe with her baby in a Graco; she referenced how plastic-y it looked - but as I mentioned, Graco claims lots of safety testing. Maybe this store was just pushing the Peg for some reason. So anyway... I'd welcome your thoughts about these options.

tam_shops

I have never been a fan of the Evenflo seats b/c their are too many rules to make them *safe* to use. Read the manual online and make sure it is going to work for you.

I *loved* my old Peg 20# seat, b/c it was small and light and easy. As I understand it, the new 30/30 ones are big and heavy and $$ for the sake of being expensive--no real features to justify the expense. Personally I wouldn't buy one.

Both my kids fit in the old SR22 until a year old, which as I understand is the same as the SR30--but the 30 has a higher weight limit. Both outgrew it by weight and still had space above their head, perhaps an inch if I remember correctly. That'd be my pick. I am a real fan of the Graco baby buckets. They are easy to use, reasonably priced and have a variety of patterns to choice from. Graco has done a great job in the last few years making them look *prettier* as in the past they had some real bold and *must be a Graco* styles that made them stand out, not in a good way! LOL

I think I already said, I *never* lifted my buckets--I had a peg 20# one, a SR20, SR22 (like SR30) and SS1 (like SR 35) by the handle. Always w/ two hands and then into a stroller and/or stroller frame. For the most part, I just took baby out of bucket. Also, baby isn't (I hope) 10# at birth and the weight grows gradually...

When I had the similar seats, I weighed them. Surprisingly there was a minimal difference in weight between the SR30 and SR35, the difference I noticed was the width--as you noted a problem for flying. Relevant IF you are buying baby a seat. I don't fly so can't speak to what I'd actually do vs what I think I'd do! LOL

I would not sell my seat on CL in Texas, here on swap maybe, it'd be a shame if someone bought it not understanding and/or desperate and broke and then got into trouble b/c of it...

All seats are tested to the same standards and are safe to use. That's an advertising gimmick that they use to *get* you and to get more money out of you! There are features that make one seat nicer over another. The one that stands out to me is wash-ability, that has improved greatly w/ Graco over the years.

ALL seats are plastic, that's what they are made out of, nothing wrong w/ plastic. Suspect the Peg plastic is prettier than the Graco plastic, doubt it has any valid safety difference, but I don't know.

I owned a Peg bucket for my first, personally, it wouldn't make my list if I were buying again. Graco or Britax or Chicco would be on my list. There is a nice review list on another board I read, done by techs and tech geeks awhile back. That may help.

Remember, when most people buy an infant bucket they plan on using it w/ 2 kids, in your case you'll be using it for one and may not be able to sell it when done. Keep that in mind when choosing how expensive of a seat you choose.

Yes, you are correct. You are not *aloud* to bring an American set across the border. There have been several recent discussions on this if you want to read more. You risk them not letting you through thus having to turn around and return it--if possible. Or them taking it away. If you are American and/or have proof you are moving back (soon) that might help your situation, no idea. I know a number of people that have used American seats here both on purpose and/or by accident. I also know people that have lost seats going across the border.

I would not under any circumstances order an American seat online and try to have it shipped here. You'd be asking for them to take it away!

I hope I didn't miss any of your questions, if I did, just ask again...

tam

canadiangie

If I knew I was moving within 6mos of baby's birth I would get a very basic cost friendly seat. It would be a toss up between the $99 Safety 1st infant seat at Walmart, or a $99 BabyTrend (not always fun to install, but doable), or even a Cosco Scenera. I wouldn't even be considering any of the $150+ seats out there, and lmbo about a Peg. No way! :p

Really, I promise, all seats provide really good protection in a crash IF used correctly. Don't be one of the 90% of people who use their seat incorrectly and you're way ahead of the game. :)

snowbird25ca

I have never been a fan of the Evenflo seats b/c their are too many rules to make them *safe* to use. Read the manual online and make sure it is going to work for you.

tam

Not to thread-jack here but I thought that comment needed to be addressed.

I can think of many seats with more rules than the Evenflo. In fact, Evenflo has one rule really that's different than others and that's it. They are simple and straight forward to install, lightweight, and with being rated from 4lbs now there is really no reason to avoid one.

If you'd asked me that a year ago when we still had the "z" handles I'd have been worried about space, but those handles are gone and they are comparable to other seats now in the space they take up - and are simple and straight forward to install.

There is no reason to avoid an Evenflo. If you were worried about rules the Radian is the one to suggest avoiding. ;)

tam_shops

If you'd asked me that a year ago when we still had the "z" handles I'd have been worried about space, but those handles are gone and they are comparable to other seats now in the space they take up - and are simple and straight forward to install.

There is no reason to avoid an Evenflo. If you were worried about rules the Radian is the one to suggest avoiding. ;)

Thanks Trudy, reading your quote I realized I'd said I'm not a fan "Evenflo seats" in general, when I own, love and suggest the Maestro, another Evenflo seat-for older kids! I certainly meant the Z handle baby bucket, which you shouldn't be able to buy anymore, but we've still seen some here and there. I know the new Evenflo buckets have been changed and improved a lot, personally, I'm not there yet and don't like rule about the handle having to be down (in the car) or the 1.5" space needed between the Evenflo handle and vehicle seat.

I really liked Angie's point and suggestion about the $99 Safety First being used for 6 months--should that still be the time frame and then not worrying about being out the money and/or seat when you're done b/c you have spent half what you would on a Graco $219 for the SR35 or $189 for SR30, but really the Evenflo for $140 at Walmart isn't bad price wise if you aren't worried about space and/or having to put the handle down.

And, indeed I *hate* the Radian for the rules and difficulty of install and the work involved in cleaning it, I won't even start on about that! :p

tam

canadiangie

Thanks Trudy, reading your quote I realized I'd said I'm not a fan "Evenflo seats" in general, when I own, love and suggest the Maestro, another Evenflo seat-for older kids! I certainly meant the Z handle baby bucket, which you shouldn't be able to buy anymore, but we've still seen some here and there. I know the new Evenflo buckets have been changed and improved a lot, personally, I'm not there yet and don't like rule about the handle having to be down (in the car) or the 1.5" space needed between the Evenflo handle and vehicle seat.

I really liked Angie's point and suggestion about the $99 Safety First being used for 6 months--should that still be the time frame and then not worrying about being out the money and/or seat when you're done b/c you have spent half what you would on a Graco $219 for the SR35 or $189 for SR30, but really the Evenflo for $140 at Walmart isn't bad price wise if you aren't worried about space and/or having to put the handle down.

And, indeed I *hate* the Radian for the rules and difficulty of install and the work involved in cleaning it, I won't even start on about that! :p

tam

For 2012 the handle needs to be rotated above baby's feet (Canadian models). It still has the 1.5" of space rule, but most ppl need that much room for their hand to access the release lever anyway, and even if they don't, it's just such a compact seat it's still not going to take up much space.

tam_shops

Thanks Angie, I'm going to have to read the manual for the 2012 version of the seat! And, now I'm confused. Is it the 2011 version of the seat, with or with OUT the Z handle that needs the handle down? And, where did the Z handle need to be. Of course, I'd have to read the manual for each seat at the time, we don't see a lot of Evenflo buckets here, mainly Graco and a few Peg and now Britax ones.

tam

canadiangie

Z handle of any model year = down, rotated back by canopy, + 1.5" of clearance space between handle and front seatback.

I'm pretty sure the next model is the one we're seeing today -- the 35 with the non-Z handle that requires the handle to be rotated forward, above baby's feet. From there you need 1.5" of space between the shell and front seatback.

If there's a model in between those, I apoligize my mind is blanking, and someone will need to add its requirements to this thread. :)

Thanks Angie, I'm going to have to read the manual for the 2012 version of the seat! And, now I'm confused. Is it the 2011 version of the seat, with or with OUT the Z handle that needs the handle down? And, where did the Z handle need to be. Of course, I'd have to read the manual for each seat at the time, we don't see a lot of Evenflo buckets here, mainly Graco and a few Peg and now Britax ones.

tam

featherhead

Z handle of any model year = down, rotated back by canopy, + 1.5" of clearance space between handle and front seatback.

I'm pretty sure the next model is the one we're seeing today -- the 35 with the non-Z handle that requires the handle to be rotated forward, above baby's feet. From there you need 1.5" of space between the shell and front seatback.

If there's a model in between those, I apoligize my mind is blanking, and someone will need to add its requirements to this thread. :)

You've got it right, there are just the two models.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC