Yard Sale Rescue

Brigala

CPST Instructor
web.jpg

She had a $2 price tag on it but she was happy to let me just take it off her hands for recycling. She said she didn't know whether it was safe or not and when I told her it wasn't she was fine with that.

As a bonus I got a bunch of nice flannel fabric for $1 a yard at the sale too. :D I would have bought more but I only had $10 with me.

Car seat is a Century, obviously no harness, stickers mostly missing or illegible, stamped on the back with "Do Not Use After December 2005."

ADS

TyAndCheyMommy

I found one at a yard sale a few weeks ago that the woman wouldn't listen to me- and said if I wanted to buy it then it would be the $20 she was asking for it.
33aea049.jpg

Thankfully it was nasty enough and stuff that I am assuming no one else would have paid $20 for it either.

katymyers

TyAndCheyMommy said:
I found one at a yard sale a few weeks ago that the woman wouldn't listen to me- and said if I wanted to buy it then it would be the $20 she was asking for it.

Thankfully it was nasty enough and stuff that I am assuming no one else would have paid $20 for it either.

Holy cow! Twenty bucks for that! Did you tell her a brand new seat can be as cheap as forty?!?! What a nut case!

love-pink

TyAndCheyMommy said:

My sister had that same exact seat. She will be 17 in July ;)

love-pink

jacqui276 said:
haha I was going to say, that looks similar to what I was in as a child and I'm 26! Haven't seen a seat like that in a long time!

Oh I wouldn't doubt at all it was a used seat before it was used for my sister :/

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Century Breverra. Someone at Piper's school was using one until last year. They used it as that one looked (though a different cover) for a year or two, then used it coverless. As if that made it better.

Wendy

Brigala

CPST Instructor
That's a Breverra? It's a lot different than the one my boys used when they were toddlers. Theirs looked like this one:

breverra.jpg

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I can't see the picture, but pretty sure. They had different headrest variations, and some had T shields and some had little nubby things on the buckles (which of course we can't see in the one you rescued, they're long gone).

Wendy

KaysKidz

Senior Community Member
I can't see the picture, but pretty sure. They had different headrest variations, and some had T shields and some had little nubby things on the buckles (which of course we can't see in the one you rescued, they're long gone).

Wendy

The one pictured in the OP is the 'newer' version, though still very expired. The one with the narrower headrest is the older style...my 21yr old had one when she was 3. One of the daycare teachers uses one on occasion with her 3yr old. :(

rebeccalynne15

See old expire car seats here all the time at yard sales , flea market , cl and thrift stores . Sometimes I feel like such a broken record telling them all car seats expire ....can't believe the amount of people that argue with me or don't care at all !

Brigala

CPST Instructor
I know... a lot of people really don't get it.

This lady was easy to talk out of it, though. I started out by buying stuff I wanted. At the end I asked if she would let me take the car seat to recycle, too. She said she didn't know whether it was safe or not, so that's why she put such a low price on it - figured the buyer could/would "research" it to decide whether or not it was safe (not likely!!!). So I said I was a CPST and that it was not safe and she was thrilled to see it disappear from her yard sale. I'm really glad it was that easy. I know it won't always be.

It probably also helped that it was the last day of the yard sale and they'd already said everything was half price - so what were they losing out on? A buck?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC