Question Should I 5pt harness or booster my 4.5yr old?

castull

Last week I asked if I should upgrade my car seats & it was necessary. I am now in limbo if I should harness my son or just go for a larger booster? My son is 4.5yrs old, 45lbs, 45" tall, and 15" from bum to top of shoulder. I really really like the Recaro ProBooster (& the Vivo but ProBooster looks like more protection). If I go 5pt I am debating between the Graco Naut. or Britax Frontier 85. He has 1 booster & sits very well & behaved in it (better than his 7ry old sister).

However, I do not like that the Recaro's don't have cup holders. The cup holders are important because he can't reach the ones in the car w/o compromising his belt position.

I'd prefer to keep him harnessed for another 6mo to 1.5yrs if possible, but I think he's going to be a tall kid and I don't know how long he'll "let" me harness him. I hate to spend a lot more for the harness if we only use it for a few months; but safety is important too. Urgh...decisions decisions. Any advice on it you feel I should definitely keep him harness or not, &/or which seat would be greatly appreciated!!

ADS

christineka

After 4 and 40 pounds, it's your decision. I would keep him harnessed because I believe it's safer until more like age 6. I do not base my harnessing decisions on what my kids like, so I would not only harness until my kid complained. I'd just keep harnessing to my goal age. The frontier 85 is your best bet for buying a lasting harnessed seat and a good high back booster that will last a long while.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
At a 15" torso, he should have about three YEARS harnessed in the Nautilus. About five years in the Frontier. If he's tall then his length is in his legs, and that's fine in the carseat world.

Wendy

castull

I just went to BBRUS and had him sit in the Frontier & Naut. The Naut being cheaper would have been my choice; however, the stap between the legs was under his bottom already. And it was on the outermost slot (there are only 2). He said it wasn't uncomfortable, but I'm afraid of it becoming uncomfortable as he grows. So we will be purchasing the Frontier online.

Thanks so much! Accidents happen & if we were ever in one I just want to know that I did all I could do to protect my children. So all you advice is really appreciated!

Phineasmama

The frontier is great :) I never bought a nautilus because so many kids have head slump in it and i want my kids to be able to fall asleep comfortably in the car.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC