News Dorel Recalls Certain Onboard 35 and Comfy Carry Infant Seats

Admin

Admin - Webmaster
Dated: MAY 02, 2012 DOREL JUVENILE GROUP (DJG) IS RECALLING CERTAIN INFANT CHILD RESTRAINTS, MODELS IC124FSM (ONBOARD 35) AND IC123FSM (COMFY CARRY), PRODUCED FROM MAY 2011 THROUGH APRIL 2012, WERE SOLD WITHOUT THE SEPA...

More...

Last edited by a moderator:
ADS

Baylor

I saw this this morning posted by Admin and posted it on my facebook.

Can I just say how awesome it is to get these recalls so fast??

auto correct hates me

MomToEliEm

I didn't realize that they sold infant seats without the base. The recall only says there are 1,737 affected seats so I guess there aren't too many of these seats out there.

The few seatbelt installs I have done were pretty easy on baseless infant seats. The recall seems to make it sound like latch is better than the seatbelt. I know it is a requirement that all seats have latch, but it seems like overkill on a baseless infant seat.

cpsaddict

Am I the only one that took this to mean that the bases included with the seats did not have the LATCH attachments, not that they didn't include a base at all?

Brigala

CPST Instructor
I read it the other way - that they were sold baseless (perhaps as program seats?) and somehow someone overlooked the fact that it meant they didn't conform to the federal LATCH requirements that way.

Brigala

CPST Instructor
Yeah, you're probably right. They probably accidentally sent out bases without LATCH straps. But if that's the case the recall is worded incorrectly. What it says is that they:
WERE SOLD WITHOUT THE SEPARATE SEAT BASE THAT CONTAINS THE REQUIRED LATCH ATTACHMENT ASSEMBLY

MommyShannon

I read it to mean the carriers were sold without a base too. it sounds just like the technicality that they then don't meet the requirement to have LATCH.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
They could have done either- accidentally not included bases, or accidentally sent bases out without LATCH straps. In either case I don't think they did it intentionally- that's a pretty big QC screwup, but at least they figured it out...

Cath3114

But part of the manufacturing process would be connecting the LATCH strap to the base, right? There's usually a way the strap is connected to the seat or base, via a different type of strap glued on or attached in some other way. It seems like that would be done by a machine. Then the packaging would be by human hands (I assume). So I guess I see more room for error by the human, rather than the machine.

Cath3114

And it seems like they would just send out LATCH straps with instructions for attaching it to the base if that was it. But they're sending out whole bases.

I really think the bases weren't included with the seats.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Hmm, it seems likely to me that the LATCH strap is at least partly attached by human hands- threaded through or whatever- but I agree, it reads to me like they did not include the base.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC