Good night

Baylor

So my friend had asked me to help her install her maestro that I helped her get at the BRU trade in. So she brought the car manual and seat manual and we did it. I showed her how her seat belts worked and how to adjust harness height and install. Then she did it and checked the seat. Awesome.

As we were doing it another friend pulled up and she said. Can you help me figure out one seat that is too loose?
I said yes
It was a Costco harnessed hbb. Her dh had installed with LATCH but had it in the seat belt path and not the belt path for install and had the connectors upside down.

I showed her the difference untwisted the LATCH belt and we went through install together and got it in right.

Thanks to you guys it was a good night!

auto correct hates me

ADS

jourdysmom

CPST Instructor
installed with LATCH but had it in the seat belt path and not the belt path for install and had the connectors upside down.

I showed her the difference untwisted the LATCH belt and we went through install together and got it in right.

First off, and please don't take this the wrong way, but you really shouldn't be doing installs for/with people as a non-tech (just my honest opinion) as there are *SO* many little things that you could miss with the car or the seat or combo of the two. You really need to refer them to a tech locally. You can give them the education bits that a PD/FD tech might not offer, but installing seats is not a good idea IMO.

What do you mean "it was in the seat belt path, not the belt path for install"? there is only one belt path on those seats... or was it buckled over the top of the seat and cover?

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Sounds like it was where the lap belt would be if it was being used as a booster.

If her state's laws cover her as a good samaritan, she's at no legal risk. And it sounds like she went through it properly. Educate, have parent redo. And if you're just reading the manual and car manual, there's little more that makes a tech different from a parent, IMO. I told a client that the other day. If every parent read the manual and car manual, techs wouldn't have much to do.

Wendy

Baylor

jourdysmom said:
First off, and please don't take this the wrong way, but you really shouldn't be doing installs for/with people as a non-tech (just my honest opinion) as there are *SO* many little things that you could miss with the car or the seat or combo of the two. You really need to refer them to a tech locally. You can give them the education bits that a PD/FD tech might not offer, but installing seats is not a good idea IMO.

What do you mean "it was in the seat belt path, not the belt path for install"? there is only one belt path on those seats... or was it buckled over the top of the seat and cover?

I'm taking it the wrong way. :) I know my limitations and I am not doing installs. She asked me to help her as a friend not a tech. I went through the basics with her as we read the manual on installs. I showed her where to find the info in the car manual about car seats and passenger safety.

We installed it 3 times. One me just showing how her seat belt worked one me showing her the belt path and making sure the seat belt was not twisted or obstructed and one her installing it.

The LATCH strap was just as Wendy said. It was laying under the cover but across the seat bottom out the belt guides for the booster.

I just showed her the difference and untwisted the strap and showed her how to correctly install LATCH and tighten tether. It was really loose just hanging on the anchor at back of seat.

auto correct hates me

Kac

Ambassador - CPS Technician
It sounds like you did a great thing showing your friend how to install her seat. :) I'm glad two kiddos are now safer. :D

BTW, I know I am covered under the Good Samaritan as a tech (at least that's what an instructor told me) so I'm assuming it's the same for non-techs.

Baylor

Kac said:
By the way, you know you can always call me if you need help. :)

Absolutely. And if it was something I did not know or could not find in a manual I would have. I have a few people that I'm hoping to get to agree to checks in my church and I will call you.

I have the usaa booklets I promised to bring in for them and I am putting the website link on the back.

I am not pretending to be anything I'm not or knowing more than I know.

I was just helping one of my best friends with something she has no idea how to do on her own.

auto correct hates me

Little Ps Mama

Sounds like you did a good thing. :) I'd rather help a parent in the moment get something right than send them off on their way to make an appointment they may not get around to right away. If it had been me (a non-tech) I would have done just what you did and then encouraged her to meet with a tech afterwards to double check the install. :)

Brianna

I would have done the same. The only tech in my town is with the state troopers, and when i went to see him, he installed the seat. He didn't teach me anything, explain anything or show me what he did. He didn't even check to make sure the seat was adjusted for the child, and he told me because the kid was over 1 he can FF now. I would much rather review manuals with a friend, answer questions and watch them install before sending them off to the same tech I met with. Most of the people that ask me for car seat help need to re-install often and in different vehicles, so a tech who didn't teach them how to install wouldn't be of much help.

Sent from my DROID4 using Car-Seat.Org

cso1997

Sadly, not all techs are created equal. You may well have given her better information than some techs would have given. I see nothing wrong with reading manuals together and installing seats together as long as the parent is the one to do the final install. Honestly, installing a car seat is really not rocket science. Teaching people the importance of reading their manuals and understanding their vehicle is priceless.

Baylor

Thanks guys. I believe the same. How many times have we had posts where techs outside of our community have given bad advice or wrong info.

You guys have taught us all well. That does not make us techs. I know there is still so much I do not know. I would never help a friend install a seat with a locking clip because I am not positive of position and how to do it properly.

Today in church a woman had a 6 wk old in a bucket. Straps were too high. I did not say anything because people were oohing and aahing over the baby. But next week I will bring the usaa booklet and explain the rfing strap position and why.

I always tell people I can find them a tech or a seat check site if they need one. Some just aren't going to do that. Sad but true.

auto correct hates me

HaileysMommy

jourdysmom said:

So she should let the seats stay installed wrong? She should have told them to make an appointment with a tech who could or could not be practicing properly? And then there's the fact that they probably wouldn't have called. Sorry that just makes no sense. I, as a non-tech, have kept the lives of all my friends kids safe. I hate even thinking about the messes I've helped fix for these parents. I think it is way more irresponsible to let something like that go when you could help. A mama who hangs around here generally knows a crap ton over the typical parent a out car seats. I think she did the right thing.

Cath3114

I also think you did the right thing. I have helped a handful of friends with their seats. I think it is better for me to help them than let them continue to use the seat terribly wrong.

And in all honesty, I don't see that many people who would sue a friend who had been trying to help. Sure, it's possible. But unlikely.

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
It sounds like you did a great thing showing your friend how to install her seat. :) I'm glad two kiddos are now safer. :D

BTW, I know I am covered under the Good Samaritan as a tech (at least that's what an instructor told me) so I'm assuming it's the same for non-techs.

In my state I'm covered as a Good Samaritan if I'm acting within the scope of my certification/education/experience. I do not believe a non-tech doing education and installs would be covered.

Brianna

carseatcoach said:
In my state I'm covered as a Good Samaritan if I'm acting within the scope of my certification/education/experience. I do not believe a non-tech doing education and installs would be covered.

Do you or anybody know where I can find info on this for New York?

Sent from my DROID4 using Car-Seat.Org

jourdysmom

CPST Instructor
So she should let the seats stay installed wrong? She should have told them to make an appointment with a tech who could or could not be practicing properly? And then there's the fact that they probably wouldn't have called. Sorry that just makes no sense. I, as a non-tech, have kept the lives of all my friends kids safe. I hate even thinking about the messes I've helped fix for these parents. I think it is way more irresponsible to let something like that go when you could help. A mama who hangs around here generally knows a crap ton over the typical parent a out car seats. I think she did the right thing.
See, thats the thing, she wouldn't be referring people to "just any tech", she would be calling Kac. And the parent would get properly informed and educated. I have no problem with non-techs offering advice or educating people, my personal belief is that they should not physically touch the seats and should refer to a tech (first off our our lists here, then to a non-C-S.O tech after that)...

And in all honesty, I don't see that many people who would sue a friend who had been trying to help. Sure, it's possible. But unlikely.
No but I bet an insurance company would/could if they had to shell out cash for wrongful death after a wreck...

In reading the PA codes..... anyone NOT affiliated with an organization is NOT covered by the Good Samaritan laws...
http://www.concentric.net/~Maxfax/files/law2.htm

Do you or anybody know where I can find info on this for New York?
Still looking, but as far as I can see, the only ones that are covered by Good Samaritan Acts are Medical Providers....

Baylor

I get what you are saying. However I'm not worried about being sued. I love these kids like my own and there was no way in heck I was going to let her leave and put her baby girl in a seat that had 12 inches of slack in the tether and the belt routed through the seat belt guides. The thing tipped forward when I put my hand on the front of the seat.

I'm not walking up to random strangers asking to help them, though I have steered people away from the wrong seat for their child in the car seat aisle.

I am not doing installs or running a business. Just helping a friend. And I will continue to help my friends. I say the same thing to them you all say to us. Get the car manual and car seat manual out.

auto correct hates me

Lemonade

As long as the person KNOWS you are NOT a tech, I don't see how it can be a problem. They are welcome to read the manual themselves or go elsewhere, but they are choosing not to. It's like if my friend helps assemble my baby's swing and it falls apart and my baby gets hurt, do I have ground to sue them? NO way...they helped me and as the parent the responsibility lies with me to make sure my kids are safe.

I help a few friends install. One friend took her FR to a tech from freakin' CHOP of all places and it was done wrong TYVM. Recline paddle in the wrong position and there was something else done incorrectly. And I've had my seats inspected and they were perfect. If it was a seat I had never seen or a car I was unfamiliar with, you bet I'd have both manuals out. And I always tell people how to find a real tech.

You did a good thing Baylor.

SignCuer

I can see both sides and it was good for Baylor to help and the children left with more educated parents and safe seats, but on the other side, I would have to agree with JourdysMom.. because you aren't covered by the Good Samaritan Law and it can be difficult, because if they get into a wreck and something happened and as a result, it could bite you back later on.

So I do agree with educating the parents but I would have not touched the seat. I would have just did the steps verbally and showed them step by step after explaining about the restraint system and how it works (I did that before I became a tech)

However you helped them to be safer, which I appreciate! :)

Personal opinion, I would contact a tech such as Kac, I believe, to check their seats, to just have a tech sign off and double check. I would feel better if that happened.

Cath3114

jourdysmom said:
No but I bet an insurance company would/could if they had to shell out cash for wrongful death after a wreck...

Has anybody ever heard of an instance of this happening? I mean, small potatoes here. The chance of an insurance company getting money from an individual is pretty slim. Maybe from the GS's insurance, but I don't even think the GS's insurance would be involved in a case like that.

And in a wrongful death suit, if the seats were properly installed and the child still died, my gut says the crash had to be unsurvivable.

Just me, but I will still help any friend who asks without hesitation. I'm not particularly concerned about the very minute chance of a lawsuit.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC