Which booster for travel?

Jan06twinmom

We're flying on Sunday and I have to figure out which boosters to take for my kids. We'll be flying into Denver, CO and renting a full-sized sedan for the week. Part of our time, we'll be in Breckenridge so there will be some mountain driving. Right now aren't predictions for precipitation so I'm not worried about snowy roads. We'll have at least a couple of longer drives (hr+) and my kids might fall asleep in the car.

I'm really debating about whether I should go ahead and just use nbb for this trip. I've only used hbb with my 7yo twins in the past and they are still harnessed in our main car (Radian and Regent).

When we flew last summer, we carried the nbb turboboosters and checked the hbb portion. I was able to fit 2 turbobooster backs in a Radian box. I have pics if anyone is interested. I would probably try to do something similar if I take the backs for this trip.

So my questions are:

1) Nbb or hbb?
2) Which specific booster for each child?

The players:
DD - 7y2m, 44lbs, 45in tall
DS - 7y2m, 65lbs, 53in tall

HBB options:
Old style Monterey (have 2, for DS)
Vivo (for DD)
Turboboosters (have 2, both kids fit)

NBB options:
Monterey
Turbobooster (2)
Evenflo Amp

ADS

Baylor

Of course this is only mommy thinking and not tech thinking but I would want the hbb option. I would do what you did in the past if they fit in them. I just would want the option especially if the weather went down hill to have them in more than a lbb.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
If you bring a HBB, make sure it's something that can have the back removed if it's necessary. So, not the Vivos. Not just for ease of travel- in case the belt guides don't work with the belts, or you end up with an Impala, where the forward-leaning fixed headrests make almost all HBB incompatible. Along those lines, make sure whatever you bring has a belt adjuster for backless mode in case you need it for belt comfort fit and need to use it in backless mode.

I'm very comfortable with my 7 year old in a well-fitted backless for short trips when she's unlikely to sleep (though she did fall asleep in Hawaii in her BubbleBum and stayed in position anyway) but I try to bring a high-back when possible if we'll be driving at night, or long drives, etc., which it sounds like you'll have. Just be prepared for the evenutality that you'll need backlesses in the end, and have the backs in case you CAN use them- that would be my plan. :)

I'd probably go with Turbos because they tend to work well in so many cars, and pack the backs well-padded to check them, and bring the belt adjusters just in case of the Impala.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC