RADIAN on sale at CT

dragonfly8

$40 off, on for $159.99!!!! And they say in the flyer, 5-65 lbs!!!
I am sending dh to look at one after he is done working. Does anyone know, if it doesn't work in our vehicle, will canadian tire take it back?????
It is also narrower at the seat than the usual car seat, right?
We just found out we are expecting another baby, so will have to fit both a RF infant seat and the radian in a 99 suburban...............
Erin

ADS

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
$40 off, on for $159.99!!!! And they say in the flyer, 5-65 lbs!!!
I am sending dh to look at one after he is done working. Does anyone know, if it doesn't work in our vehicle, will canadian tire take it back?????
It is also narrower at the seat than the usual car seat, right?
We just found out we are expecting another baby, so will have to fit both a RF infant seat and the radian in a 99 suburban...............
Erin

Seriously?!?

Guess I'm making a tourist trip over to CT this weekend. You think they really restickered their stock? It'll still be older DOM, but that's a whole heck of a lot cheaper - maybe they've listened to those who've complained. I would be both shocked and pleased if that were the case.

I just realized this is Thurs and our flyers usually come on Friday - when is the sale supposed to start? Maybe it's an early sale for the long weekend? :confused:

cdncasper

The sale started today and from the 3 CTs I have seen in Winnipeg it is all older stock with 48lb stickers. Kenaston has 10/06 DOM, Unicity has 10/06 DOM and Polo Park has 02/07 (I think), Regent doesn't have in stock (special order only) so that may be a way to get a better DOM with the sale price but you will have to ask. I was able to get money back since I bought one about 10 days ago even though they normally don't do that for clearance items.

BudgieStew

I checked my flyer for Quebec and nothing. Then went online and checked my parents Postal Code in N.S. Still nothing.
The CT website still lists it as 48 lbs and 199.99...but they now have a nice place to review it.

dragonfly8

So What Should
I Do?
Do I Go Ahead And Get One? Or Do I Insist That Since They Are Advertising One Good To 65lbs, That They Have To Sell Me A 65 Lb One When They Have, For $159.99?

BudgieStew

I'd call or go in if that is easy for you with the flyer.
Check out the seat first see the price and the weight.

Does anyone know if the outside of the box is changed/stickered or its just the seats?
Often you have to ask a sales person to get the seat for you its in back.
They may have just C/P from else where which they did when it first came out with RF weigh limit(showed it as 33 lbs rather then 30 lbs):rolleyes: That would be a big mistake to make in a flyer though.
Then go from there...are they obligated to provide you with a 65 at 159.99 I don't but it would be nice.

cdncasper

Ask for a raincheck?

-N.

The Radians are on clearance so they don't give out rainchecks.

Chances are that for $159.99 you will have to settle for the 48lbs one. I do know that e-children should have 65lbs ones either right now or shortly but those cost more.

cdncasper

I checked my flyer for Quebec and nothing. Then went online and checked my parents Postal Code in N.S. Still nothing.
The CT website still lists it as 48 lbs and 199.99...but they now have a nice place to review it.

On the website the price change won't happen until tomorrow usually. The day after the sale starts is when they change it online.

dragonfly8

I just told my husband to not bother, that I would go myself hopefully on the weekend to check it out. $40 would be nice to save but, I would rather get the seat that has the higher weight limit. Does anyone know how narrow the base of the seat is? Also, does it recline a bit when FF?

It really ticks me off that the flyer would advertise the wrong seat..........
Legally, does the sticker have to say 65 to use the seat? Is anyone going to use the 48lb stickered seat to 65 lbs? I mean, is that not the ONLY difference, is the sticker?????

cdncasper

I just told my husband to not bother, that I would go myself hopefully on the weekend to check it out. $40 would be nice to save but, I would rather get the seat that has the higher weight limit. Does anyone know how narrow the base of the seat is? Also, does it recline a bit when FF?

Legally, does the sticker have to say 65 to use the seat? Is anyone going to use the 48lb stickered seat to 65 lbs? I mean, is that not the ONLY difference, is the sticker?????

The base is about 17" and it does have a slight recline that you can use FF but it isn't a ton.
The only difference is the sticker but I am not too sure about if legally the seat has to say 65lbs to use it to that weight.

Your in Winnipeg right? I have 2 Radians that you can always try out if you want before you buy.

dragonfly8

Yes, I am in winnipeg. We are in no rush, I just figured cause it was such an attractive deal, that I would jump on it. Perhaps it is better to wait.
I just may take you up on your offer as well...........
Who would I contact to find out re: the sticker and the legalities???

Erin

snowbird25ca

So is Canadian Tired not going to be carrying the Radian at all anymore? Or are they clearancing out their 48lb stock?

It is unfortunate if they won't be carrying it at all anymore, because even if their DOM's were on the older side, the store is accessible for many people who wouldn't be able to get to a baby boutique. And having it in flyers etc. lets people know it's out there. How many people don't know about HWH or even the Marathon because it's a niche market? Until recently even TRU/BRU was special order and only baby boutiques carried it in store.

If CT won't be carrying Radians at all anymore, I think it's rather unfortunate. All the people who do buy car seats at CT now will be pretty much stuck buying a 3-in-1 or a scenera/touriva. That's pretty much all they have for convertibles... and people are going to continue to buy seats there - especially when they can use CT money to pay for them and make them more affordable.

Yeah, that really is a bummer... although if you've ever looked in a zeller's flyer when they're having baby days, they have soooo many errors in their flyer for the car seat section - obvious bpb only listed as harnessing to a certain weight, all sorts of things. Their car seat ads have been like that for months at the very least. :thumbsdown:

Legalities - Legally, you can only use a seat within it's stated limits - what's in the manual and what the stickers on the seat itself say.

Is it the same seat? Yes.
Do I feel you'd have a reason to fight a ticket in the off chance an officer picked up the difference in sticker limit and your child's weight? Yes.
Would the seat warranty cover your child if something happened and he was using a 48lb stickered seat at 55lbs? No, because you'd be going against manufacturers instructions.

My personal opinion is that it's a parental decision that only you can make. Technically speaking, it's illegal to use the seat outside the stated weight limits. In this case though, we know the seat is safe at different limits than what it's stickered to, so that's why it falls into the parental decision area...

cdncasper

So is Canadian Tired not going to be carrying the Radian at all anymore? Or are they clearancing out their 48lb stock?

They told me they would still be carrying it so chances are they are just getting rid of some old stock. The bad thing is that at the one CT they just got the seats last month but the DOM is 10/06.

tiger926

This is such a tired subject as Canadian Tire is so unorganized with their children's products. Incidentally, I still am awaiting a response from corporate office and my local CT store regarding this. Here are my thoughts:

1. This is a clearance sale, so probably just clearing out stock because they have short strapped ones to clear out, didn't sell enough seats, or, they are getting new 65lb seats. I find it highly unlikely that they are getting new seats, or restickering old ones since they don't know where they get their seats from, and, they still have old seats on the shelves that they don't even know exist (nor, do they care to do anything about them).

2. Website as mentioned, says "48lbs", so chances are these are not new 65lb seats.

3. Stores have an errors and ommissions clause that prevents them from being charged with false advertising in case of error, so they don't have to sell you a 65lb seat (I guarantee no one at the store is even going to know what you are talking about when you mention this anyway) by law. Most stores honour errors as a gesture of good faith and to provide good customer service, but they don't have to do this when it's a printing error.

I myself will not purchase any other children's products from CT and as some of you have read from my Radian issues, I will more than likely not be purchasing anymore products from Sunshine Kids either.

Good luck to all purchasing, Tiger

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
The base is about 17" and it does have a slight recline that you can use FF but it isn't a ton.

The base is actually 14" at it's widest hip point, while the widest shoulder point is 17"... important information if you are looking for hip room for buckling a booster next to a Radian. ;)

snowbird25ca

1. This is a clearance sale, so probably just clearing out stock because they have short strapped ones to clear out, didn't sell enough seats, or, they are getting new 65lb seats. I find it highly unlikely that they are getting new seats, or restickering old ones since they don't know where they get their seats from, and, they still have old seats on the shelves that they don't even know exist (nor, do they care to do anything about them).

I've only seen short strapped radians with Aug 06 dom, so I think it's safe to say if you're getting a seat with any other DOM, you don't have to worry about having a short strapped one. Given the last 2 replacement seats received for short strapped radians, I wouldn't be upset if I got a short strapped one anyways. I know that you had a negative experience - unfortunate because it seems it's a rarity...

Anyways, I wouldn't throw the baby out with the bath water. ;) And I wouldn't stress about if you're going to get a short strapped radian or not because they'll just replace it if you do. 1 yr old date of manufacture in some cases isn't ideal, but the seat does have an 8yr expiry date, so it'll still get lots of use.

And at $160 - it is cheaper than the Eddie Bauer 3 in 1's. So hopefully more people will buy it and have a higher weight harness seat with appropriate harness heights and then get their kids a dedicated booster when the seat is outgrown. I think parents win in the end as long as they're willing to return the seat if it doesn't install well in their vehicles. :twocents:

Last edited:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC