Some Clarification on the Peg LATCH limits

leblanlm

Senior Community Member
So I just got off the phone with the Peg Perego CPST and got some clarification on the LATCH limits of the new convertible seat.

I was told that the actual limit is going to be 40lbs. But they definitely encourage the use of LATCH for installs. They said that it is the same recommendation as with their infant seat. According to them "both of the seats have little room for error, so we recommend a LATCH install." The convertible does not come with a locking clip either and this is because they feel that all cars now have switchable retractors and LATCH, thus making a locking clip not essential.

FYI- none of this is stated in their manual. Just the info that I posted a picture of is given.

Last edited:
ADS

jeminijad

Well, they may be right that most people buying $300 car seats drive newer cars with locking seatbelts & LATCH. I'm sure they've done some research. But it seems VERY odd to omit a $1 item that would ensure it could be used in every car- rather elitist.

And 'both of the seats have little room for error' is not my most favorite thing ever.

Brianna

I'm wondering why they didn't put 40 pounds in the manual if that's the limit?? And if LATCH is better for their installation- why do they mandate you use a seat belt for the last 5 pounds RF?

No matter what I do, a convertible installed RF with a switchable retractor locks for me- within the first few uses. My LATCH in the middle is offset resulting in the seat tipping off of the center hump. Even though I have LATCH and a switchable retractor, I prefer a locking clip.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
wendytthomas said:
I guess none of their clients travel. Is a locking clip allowed, or incompatible?

Wendy

If a seat doesn't have lockoffs, I don't think it's allowed to be incompatible with a locking clip. You have to be able to install a seat with a seatbelt.

FTR, Chicco doesn't include locking clips with the KeyFit, although they'll send them if you call. The rep says no one ever has. (Granted, there are lockoffs on the base, but presumably people travel without it.)

The Regent didn't come with a locking clip or lock-offs. It's not unprecedented to not include one.

I still find Peg's LATCH stance bizarre, though, and I want to know if they truly believe LATCH is easier, or if it's because their seats (infant, at least) are a PITA to install with a belt. I also want to know if they prefer LATCH on the side over belt in the center.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Chicco does not allow a locking clip. If you don't bring a base and you have a non locking belt it's incompatible. I tell parents with a Keyfit to always travel internationally with the base.

Wendy

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
wendytthomas said:
Chicco does not allow a locking clip. If you don't bring a base and you have a non locking belt it's incompatible. I tell parents with a Keyfit to always travel internationally with the base.

Wendy

Hmm. The rep specifically said that they will send a locking clip to people who want to use it baseless without locking belts. I have never heard that it is incompatible.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
NEVER install CARRIER without Base using a non-locking vehicle belt. The installation will NOT be secure. Refer to your vehicle owner’s manual for detailed vehicle belt information.

No note (like the Frontier) to contact them to get a locking clip. The manual doesn't mention a locking clip at all.

UNSAFE Vehicle Belts
The.following.types.of.vehicle.belts.MUST. NOT.be.used.to.install.this.Child.Restraint:
1 .Motorized.(automatic).vehicle.belts.
2 .Door.mounted.vehicle.belts..
3 .Lap/Shoulder.Belts.with.2.retractors, . (unless.Lap.Belt.has.a.“Lock.Mode”).
1 retractor tensions the Lap Belt and 1 tensions the Shoulder Belt.
4 .Non-Locking.(ELR).Lap.Belts. . (Emergency.Locking.Retractors)
These belts remain loose after installation and only lock during a sudden stop or crash.

Excuse the formatting. It doesn't like being c&p'ed from a pdf apparently.

Wendy

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
Here is Julie's reply re: locking clips with the Key Fit:

Chicco does not send a locking clip. However, Chicco does not prohibit use of a locking clip when installing just the carrier.

Chicco recommends always using the base, except when installing in aircraft. If a vehicle has a lap-shoulder belt with an ELR, it is strongly recommended the base be used.

canadiangie

So I just got off the phone with the Peg Perego CPST and got some clarification on the LATCH limits of the new convertible seat.

I was told that the actual limit is going to be 40lbs. But they definitely encourage the use of LATCH for installs. They said that it is the same recommendation as with their infant seat. According to them "both of the seats have little room for error, so we recommend a LATCH install." The convertible does not come with a locking clip either and this is because they feel that all cars now have switchable retractors and LATCH, thus making a locking clip not essential.

FYI- none of this is stated in their manual. Just the info that I posted a picture of is given.

I know the convertible has lockoffs, but it's just FF lockoffs, right?? :confused:

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Well, to be fair, if we assume most people will have newer cars who buy this car seat, so LATCH will be available- almost no kid is going to get beyond 40 lbs. RF with that shell height, right? I mean, there's still the center LATCH being unavailable in many cars issue, but it makes a little more sense.

gigi

ketchupqueen said:
Well, to be fair, if we assume most people will have newer cars who buy this car seat, so LATCH will be available- almost no kid is going to get beyond 40 lbs. RF with that shell height, right? I mean, there's still the center LATCH being unavailable in many cars issue, but it makes a little more sense.

I thought it was virtually as tall as a radian? Did I read that wrong?

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
ketchupqueen said:

Center LATCH is kind of a big deal, though, IMO.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Oh, it is- but apparently it never has been to Peg, since their infant seat has recommended LATCH when available as long as I've been reading their manuals.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I thought it was virtually as tall as a radian? Did I read that wrong?

Everything I've seen has said much shorter shell for rear-facing? Where did you see a Radian comparison? I'd be very interested to see it if so! (I've been pretty meh on it so far.)

gigi

I thought the thread with measurements from a few days ago indicated that it had similar harness height and torso room (if you go by top of headrest not top of shell). Also it looked like the child in the "3 y.o. in the Peg convertible" thread had room to rearface still (they were in store pics though, not installed). I could be completely mistaken and have misunderstood though.

I really hoped the height comes near the Radian because I'd love a good alternative for my baby. Maybe I read too much into it :/

Stelvis

I believe the shell is shorter, but unlike a Britax you can RF to 1" from the top of the movable headrest. I believe that's the difference and why it comes close to the Radian.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC