Older/less miles vs newer/more miles

love-pink

Im going to look at both vehicles :cool: But Im not sure which to go with.

2006 Impala 160000 miles -
Has had fresh tune up 3 months ago, new brakes, power steering pump, high pressure power steering hose and serpentine belt were all replaced 2 weeks ago.

2002 Impala 85,000 miles new motor, new tires. All done by liecenced machanic, has paper work to show.

We also have a mechanic friend going with us. ANY opinions are welcomed!! :eek:

ADS

love-pink

Hmm... Ill have to look at the crash test ratings. The interiors are very very similar as far as materials. Both say they have been very well taken care of and are clean.

brookity

DH says you can do better than either of those. PM me your zip code and he will find you a deal. It is kind of his hobby!

TXDani

Senior Community Member
Keep in mind that while the lower mileage one has less miles on the motor all the other parts still have 85,000 miles PLUS how many miles were put on the original motor (except obviously replaced parts).

Sent from my iPad using Car-Seat.Org

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
It needed a new motor at only 85K miles? What happened? I'd be leery that it was either a lemon to start with or very poorly maintained.

love-pink

Keep in mind that while the lower mileage one has less miles on the motor all the other parts still have 85,000 miles PLUS how many miles were put on the original motor (except obviously replaced parts).

Sent from my iPad using Car-Seat.Org
;)

It needed a new motor at only 85K miles? What happened? I'd be leery that it was either a lemon to start with or very poorly maintained.

I believe the person means 85k since the motor was replaced ;)

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
the 2006 is gonna have latch, but if it was me I'd want the lower miles.

2002 was the first Impala model year to have full sets of LATCH. :) Both Impala models she's considering have 3 full sets of LATCH, all of which can be used at the same time to install up to 3 carseats with LATCH. The 2006 is the newer/current generation Impala body style with 3 rear headrests IIRC from renting current gen Impalas, and they're fixed rear headrests rather than adjustable/removable and angled forward somewhat, which might interfere with some FF installs.

Lemonade

2002 was the first Impala model year to have full sets of LATCH. :) Both Impala models she's considering have 3 full sets of LATCH, all of which can be used at the same time to install up to 3 carseats with LATCH. The 2006 is the newer/current generation Impala body style with 3 rear headrests IIRC from renting current gen Impalas, and they're fixed rear headrests rather than adjustable/removable and angled forward somewhat, which might interfere with some FF installs.

I'd probably go for the less miles if it's overall miles and not just 85K since replacement plus a whole ton more.

My Dad has a 2006 (I'm pretty sure) Impala and the fixed rear headrests are definitely an issue with installations. I have not been able to get radians or higher convertibles (britax, old ones) in the outboard seats.

This is my thought. GIANT RED FLAG when I saw that.

And yes, those can NOT be your only two options. Maybe if you lived in Nome, Alaska right now (ie winter), but if you're in a slightly less isolated area, there has got to be better options.

love-pink

No they are not my ONLY options just two that have stuck out to me. Honestly in my price range I'm very limited and it being tax season the lower mileage ones in my price range are being snatched up left and right. A month ago there were a ton with less miles that I could afford.

love-pink

I also just wondered in general which would be better to go with, newer/more miles or older/less miles. I've never bought a vehicle outside of a dealership or with more than 30k miles.... I'm borderline clueless.

P1ally

I'd also be careful with a vehicle that has had it's engine replaced. A lot of times, when the engine is replaced and the transmission is not, the engine can wear the tranny down SUPER fast. When they age together, they work together better. A new, powerful motor works harder than the older tranny can manage.

Belle's Mamma

I also just wondered in general which would be better to go with, newer/more miles or older/less miles. I've never bought a vehicle outside of a dealership or with more than 30k miles.... I'm borderline clueless.

I'm also curious about the newer/more miles or older/less miles.

Pixels

I think a lot depends on how you drive, how long you expect to keep the vehicle, and the specifics. I'm a lower-than-average mileage driver, and keep my vehicles a long time. Rust often becomes a problem before mechanical problems take the vehicle. Knowing that, when I was shopping I was looking for a newer vehicle with higher mileage, because by the time I'm done with it my low miles and the pre-existing high miles will average out. Make sense?

My DH is a higher mileage driver, but pretty close to average. For him, we look for average to low mileage for the age.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC