Is there a SUV with 3 rows that is fun to drive?

theriviera

I currently drive a 2010 Honda Odyssey. While I love it for it's practicality, I don't love driving it. I have 2 kids, one in a Graco Snugride 35 and on FF in a Britax Blvd. We would like to have at least one more, probably in late 2013/2014. My parents come to visit 3-4 times a year, so I would like to have a usable - not necessarily for adults but for at least the FF carseat and one adult. We don't take super long trips with them but sometimes we go for 2 hr (one way) drives.

I like to drive with vigor (saw that another poster used that to describe her driving style and I liked it!). I am the only person in the car 5 days a week as I am a WOHM with a 10 mile, non freeway commute (one way). I want a car with good torque so that I can get a response when I press the gas pedal. For reference, I used to drive a BMW x3 and I really like the German handling.

I test drove an Acura MDX. I liked it okay but I wasn't super impressed with the way it drove. I may have been expecting too much given the price tag. I also didn't love the interior design. I have my eye on a q7 diesel and possibly an X5 but they are so, so expensive that I would love to find something that fit my criteria without the hefty price tag.

So, after that novel, any recommendations?

ADS

Sunshy9

I drove around a GMC Acadia (same as Chevy Traverse, Saturn Outlook, and Buick Enclave) this past summer, and LOVED it!!! With 6 kids in the back, ages ranging from 13 months-8.5 years, all in carseats :)

TXDani

Senior Community Member
The new Infiniti QX56 is a blast to drive! They really did a great job making it a fast beast that handles well...the 8speed tranny is nice too.

T4K

I have an '08 Navigator but it handles like a truck. The 3rd row is awesome for car seats and adults fit well, too. There are a ton of nice features that make the drive smooth. The space behind the third row handles groceries and a lightweight stroller.

It has a lot of chrome that makes it feel silly to drive. Haha. But it is very nice.

We got an excellent deal on it when it had 24k miles. And ours had a factory 4 year/50k warranty. I'm not sure of they are still doing that.

canadiangie

The new Infiniti QX56 is a blast to drive! They really did a great job making it a fast beast that handles well...the 8speed tranny is nice too.

Not to mention they're absolutely gorgeous! I saw one the other day and nearly crashed trying to catch a glimse. Seriously amazing overhaul from the previous body style.

theriviera

It is a gorgeous car - so luxurious inside. It felt so huge to me though - would have to get used to it if I could stomach the price :)

TXDani

Senior Community Member
Not to mention they're absolutely gorgeous! I saw one the other day and nearly crashed trying to catch a glimse. Seriously amazing overhaul from the previous body style.

It is a gorgeous car - so luxurious inside. It felt so huge to me though - would have to get used to it if I could stomach the price :)

You know when I saw my first one (in June 2010) I hated it. It reminded me of an Asian cartoon character. And I was currently car shopping so looking back I could have gotten one back then since I was buying but I didn't have it on my list. But after about a month of seeing them regularly I was hooked.

My husband has turned to me at least three times, exasperated and said "do you want one? We can go get one" because I tune him out and go into a daze every time I see one (well only the ones with the stock 22" wheels in black or white:cool:).

I am trying really hard to keep my car for another year and a half because I change cars too often and I am very happy with my car...if this damn Infiniti hadn't come out I wouldn't even be considering a new car already. Gotta make my goal of keeping my current car for 3 years...already 1.5 down!

JerseyGirl'sMama

canadiangie said:

I just looked it up and I think it's ugly. :ducks: I don't like all the funky rounded angles.

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician

*cough* Nissan Armada clone *cough*

Btw, I absolutely LOVED driving the Armada!

canadiangie

I just looked it up and I think it's ugly. :ducks: I don't like all the funky rounded angles.

It's that little bit less 'truck' and little bit more swank crossover that will likely appeal to more people shopping for a full size luxury SUV, though. I think it's just Nissan/Infiniti keeping up (or catching up) with where the industry is going. It also presents as slightly smaller on the exterior than it's previous body style, which even appeals to me, a die hard big vehicle girl. And honestly, it's very eye catching in real life. Sort of hard to believe it's the sequel to it's predecessor.

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
theriviera said:
DH is pushing for that car. how is the 3rd row? can you fit carseats back there in a pinch?

It's tiny, so I wouldn't want adults back there, but car seats fit fine.

EmmaGrace'sMom

I had to look up the new QX56...holy <bleeped by moderator> that is gorgeous! Maybe if I win the lottery :ROTFLMAO:

Last edited by a moderator:

kathysr98

How about the Flex with Ecoboost? I refuse to look at the website because I was getting way too close to buying one, but the numbers were impressive, & the standard model I test drove was no slouch, either.

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
I currently drive a 2010 Honda Odyssey. While I love it for it's practicality, I don't love driving it. I have 2 kids, one in a Graco Snugride 35 and on FF in a Britax Blvd. We would like to have at least one more, probably in late 2013/2014. My parents come to visit 3-4 times a year, so I would like to have a usable - not necessarily for adults but for at least the FF carseat and one adult. We don't take super long trips with them but sometimes we go for 2 hr (one way) drives.

I like to drive with vigor (saw that another poster used that to describe her driving style and I liked it!). I am the only person in the car 5 days a week as I am a WOHM with a 10 mile, non freeway commute (one way). I want a car with good torque so that I can get a response when I press the gas pedal. For reference, I used to drive a BMW x3 and I really like the German handling.

I test drove an Acura MDX. I liked it okay but I wasn't super impressed with the way it drove. I may have been expecting too much given the price tag. I also didn't love the interior design. I have my eye on a q7 diesel and possibly an X5 but they are so, so expensive that I would love to find something that fit my criteria without the hefty price tag.

So, after that novel, any recommendations?

The X5 and MDX would have been my suggestions for handling and road feel and being more fun to drive than other models in the category, even though they still wont drive like a sporty sedan. I have not been in a Q7 but they sure look nice.

Honestly, I would not consider any non-luxury midsize SUV as being fun to drive in terms of handling. There simply isn't a full size SUV that handles well (if you're looking for German car handling that is), though some do very well in terms of acceleration. Of course, you really pay for that in fuel economy!. Big + heavy + high off the ground = mediocre handling. On the other hand, a lot of the bigger luxury models have very nice and smooth ride and lots of luxury that might make up for the inherent handling disadvantage compared to smaller vehicles.

The Mazda 5 is the best handling 3-row vehicle I've driven recently. The Kia Sorento is not too bad, either. It's pretty obvious why. They are relatively small, lighter and lower to the ground compared to midsize and fullsize models. That's a tradeoff some people don't want to make, especially if you need to use the third row regularly.

My 2011 Highlander Hybrid doesn't even handle as well as a 2010 Odyssey and the Highlander is a smaller vehicle. Sad, but true. On the other hand, it accelerates quicker and the ride is a lot smoother and quieter, too. A lot of midsize and fullsize SUVs won't have handling as good as the Odyssey, but they might make up for that in other areas.

cfinn1119

I drive a 2010 Traverse (same as Arcadia and Enclave) and love it, handles very well esp around curves. I have a 30 mile commute to work so I have to drive something that has good handling and that is comfortable all at the same time! I have the 2nd row captains chairs just because I don't need the extra seat in the middle. My 6'5" husband has sat in the 3rd row before with no problem, he said it comfortable...

I have driven the Sequoia but it seems a bit too top heavy to me, you can feel the wind blow when you are stopped and it rocks the top of the vehicle. My brother has the Chrysler and it's the same very top heavy, almost feels like you are in a boat it rocks so much! I'm not a fan of the Armada either, I just think they are ugly!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC