Mico easy to install?

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I was forwarded some info based off of the infant car seat spreadsheet https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AvfUm4x64h3AdDRuWS01UTk3SWFYWU5la3BTckN1YlE&hl=en#gid=0 , and I noticed on there under the entry of Maxi Cosi Mico "lightweight and easy to install."

I'm somewhat puzzled by this because I've seen the Mico in a number of vehicles and easy to install isn't a description I would ever choose for it. It has a really high rate of incompatibilities and can be incompatible with both LATCH and seatbelt due to the poor design of the base. I've seen vehicles where the only way to have a proper installation is to install the seat baseless.

Back when there were public seat checks here, we used to automatically assume any tech who got a Mico would be caught up with it for an extended period of time just due to the high likelihood of there being a compatibility issue. I have seen some vehicles where it fits well, but it is really the exception and not the rule.

So I'm just curious about the easy to install part since it is so contradictory to what I've personally seen and what I've seen others say about the seat... Can anyone enlighten me?

ADS

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
I did installs in a Montero sport. After the shoulder belt coming out of the belt path repeatedly, I ended up using a locking clip. I dislike that base.

snowbird25ca

I've never had a problem installing it.

Wendy

Never? Do you guys have the hooks or the push-on connectors down there? I'd think that the base is identical between both countries but maybe not? :confused:

Do you usually see vehicles that have quite sloped back seats? The issue is that if the back seat isn't sloped enough to need to adjust the recline, it is outright impossible to tighten it enough - the adjuster plate can be maneuvered so that it sits in the opening of the belt path, but depending on where the lower anchors are in the vehicle, the level of the belt sits higher than the plastic of the base when you don't have to extend the foot. For example imagine that the top of "T" is the top edge of the adjuster mechanism, and the middle bar of "H" is where the belt path actually is. You simply can't tighten it enough. (I'm not comfortable with there being space between the belt and the belt path.) In some vehicles the length of buckle stalk can cause the same problem even once it's twisted down - and in other cases the style of buckle/latchplate is such that you can't even maneuver it so that it's not hitting the plastic of the base in a way that prevents tightening.

Combine sloped seats and LATCH and the thing is super easy to install, but stick it in a vehicle where the seats aren't very sloped and there are big issues. It's just a really really bad design. There are things that can be done to make it more likely that you can get it installed, but in some vehicles it's just outright incompatible. And it happens more with the Mico than any other infant base I see due to the belt path being an issue with both LATCH and seat belt. At least with other seats if one method doesn't work it's likely the other will - but with the Mico, you run in to the same issue with LATCH and seatbelt and it's because of the silly shaping of the plastic.

eta: Is this what your base looks like in the US? http://www.toysrus.ca/product/large...ct_images/pTRUCA1-6612409dt.jpg&imageIndex=0#

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Yup, that's it. I don't remember particular issues at all, and I lost my personal database with my notes for tricky installs in a harddrive crash a couple of months ago (I have the data on paper, just no desire to sit and redo it for several hours). I'm sure I've had to twist stalks down, but otherwise I don't know of anything I've had to do. Maybe I've been installing them wrong? I do have to make sure that the LATCH locking mechanism or the seatbelt buckle doesn't get caught on the lip of the shell, but I have to do that with all Dorel seats.

Wendy

canadiangie

Yes, I've seen incompatibilities.

Either the adjuster gets caught along the lip of the base, or there isn't enough space to add a locking clip. Or doing whatever you can to solve the issue still leaves too much side to side movement. I just think it's a poorly designed base (isn't it an after thought design for the North American market? Or is that an urban legend?), and just generally speaking I don't like working with them. But I've also seen times where they go in like butter. Basically if it's good it's great, and if it's bad you're up poop creek sans paddle. It's very Dorel infant seat to me. Par for the course. I'm desperately trying to open my mind to this new gen of OnBoard et al seats. So far so good (lockoffs are a glorious thing), but I'm still waiting for the chips to fall... :p (kidding, mostly.)

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
So far the Canadians hate it. I'd love to see more US techs chiming in. Maybe it is a North/South thing.

Wendy

Pixelated

Another thumbs down for the Mico. I haven't seen a ton of them, but the ones I have, they've all been difficult and one was incompatible. :thumbsdown:

henrietta

It installed like a DREAM outboard with LATCH in my sil's Land Rover (Discovery I think..), but in the center w/the seatbelt, we could almost NEVER get it quite as tight as I wanted. And as soon as we did, it would loosen back up in a few days. If I'd used a locking clip that probably would have helped some, BUT the shoulder belt still would have been slipping out of the belt path and interfering w/putting the seat in it's base.

henrietta

featherhead

I've only installed one once, and that was during my tech class. It did not go in easy, that's for sure!

trippsmom

CPST Instructor
I never had any issues. I thought I would, but it always hit just right. I put it in a couple of different cars and suvs. I did have to twist the belt stalk in the center of an older expedition (I think) and the center of mil's lesabre.

¡May contain dyac moments!

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I helped a lady the other day with her Britax, she admitted that she'd used a saw to cut some part of her Mico off to make it fit. There was also a locking clip on the wrong side of the seatbelt, which she thought was also due to trying to get the Mico in and had become a habit by the time the Britax was there. So, not sure I'd describe it as easy to install...

canadiangie

I helped a lady the other day with her Britax, she admitted that she'd used a saw to cut some part of her Mico off to make it fit. There was also a locking clip on the wrong side of the seatbelt, which she thought was also due to trying to get the Mico in and had become a habit by the time the Britax was there. So, not sure I'd describe it as easy to install...

Wow. Yeah I bet I know exactly where on the base she used a saw. Scary. :thumbsdown:

lovemybabies924

joolsplus3 said:

I fainted just now

Sent from my iPod touch, sorry for any auto-correct typos!

JujuMama

Even a baseless install can be tricky and/or impossible because the belt must be wrapped around the back of the seat. Some belts will not be long enough to do this.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC