Best harnessed seat for 10-year-old?

U

Unregistered

What is a good harnessed seat for an average 10-year-old? I am probably going to buy the Frontier85 because it looks like she'll outgrow the Prosport too quickly. I tried both at the store. Both seem nice.

I would never booster a child who could still fit into a harness. Any lack of data does NOT mean that a harness is the same safety-wise as a booster. How many older kids are even harnessed to HAVE data? I want 5 pts. of protection for her.

I don't know any child anywhere (personally, except for you awesome people online) even in a backless booster at age 10. (And there is no way I'd use a backless booster. If you knew you'd be in an accident today, would you want your kid in that, or something with a shell and EPS foam?). I think in matters of life or death it makes sense to offer as much protection as possible.

So we're going to harness until the seat does not fit, and then booster. So do people like the Frontier85? I'll be switching it around cars, relatives, etc. seatbelt install, and I'm comfortable doing either LBP or SBP depending on the vehicle's needs.

ADS

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
It sounds like you've done your research and feel strongly about keeping your DD harnessed, so I will spare you the spiel on boostering being a safe and appropriate option at her age. (I will say -- to answer your question -- that if I knew I was going to be in an accident today, with kids in tow, I would be 100% comfortable with my boys being in their well-fitting, sturdy HBBs. Except in reality, I wouldn't leave the house, lol.)

My kidlets had all long since outgrown harnessing by ten, so I don't have any personal experience, but if you want to harness as long as possible, then the Frontier85 is what you'll want. Although the ProSport harnesses to 90lbs, it is appx 2" shorter in harness height (plus adjuster strap length) than the F85. It is very unusual for a child to outgrow either of those seats by weight.

What does your daughter ride in now, and how does she fit in it? Those questions, in addition to her current height, weight, and torso height, will be the most helpful in terms of letting you know how she'll fit in the F85.

Qarin

My not-average (very tiny) just about 10yo would still fit in the Frontier85 harness; she's outgrown the Nautilus harness and I don't know if she would fit in the ProSport (have never seen one in person, but word is it's got 18" top slots, so she would not fit).

I don't think an average 10year old would have much time in the F85 harness, and at some point you simply have to accept that everyone eventually goes into the 3pt seatbelt, and the best we can do is make sure it fits and is worn correctly.

Are your tires and brakes in good condition?

Cognito*

I can't imagine an average size 10yr olf fitting a harnessed seat, even the Frontier 85. Of course my 4yr old (5 in Dec) only has one click left. I'm perfectly comfortable with him in a good HBB once he outgrows his harness.

You are aware the there are some excellent HBBs with deep wings, shells & even EPS foam, right?

ETA: I love the seat, but I wouldn't want to be moving it around frequently. It's heavy & it increases the chance of making an install mistake.

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
I have a 9yo and I do have her in a backless booster most of the time. I am comfortable with that. You don't have to be, but please don't insinuate that those of us who ARE are somehow lacking in either knowledge or concern.

An average-size 10yo will not fit in most harnessed seats. The Frontier85 is your best shot, unless you're interested in special-needs seats.

bubbaray

I am absolutely NOT persuaded that a harnessed seat is safER than a HBB for a child who is age 5 and 40lbs (assuming that said child will sit properly in the booster). I moved my DD#1 to a HBB at age 5y1m, just 40lbs and have no regrets. The Monterey fit(s) her perfectly and she always sits nicely in the booster.

I can't imagine even my peanut DD#1 (who is still pretty close to 40lbs) fitting in our harnessed FR at age 10.

littleangelfire

As mentioned, your best bet is the FR85, though even that would not last long for an average 10 year old. The only next step is going to be a special needs seat or you could see if she'd still fit in some sort of vest or vest with booster option.

It is worth mentioning, however, that there is some info running around that argues it's very possible, even likely, that a booster for a child who sits correctly, is big enough and old enough, is safer than a harnessed seat for that same child. Why? Because in a 3 pt seatbelt with booster in an accident the upper body will lurch forward as one while in a harnessed seat only the head lurches forward creating massive strain on the neck. Again, harnesses are incredibly safe and important for kids who aren't ready to sit properly in a booster or not big enough to fit properly in a booster, but for those who are, it's a very real possibility.

menfusse

My averaged sized, leggy 10 year old does not fit in our Frontier 85, and has probably been out of it a good two years, just judging by how much over she is at the highest slot. She rides in a backless booster because aside for the frontier 85, and just *barely* the Sunshine Kids Monterey, there aren't even any high back boosters that fit her AND are able to be fully extended to the height she needs without hitting the ceiling of the car and leaning. Actually, she 5 steps in many vehicles easily, and is just *this*close to 5-stepping in our main ride. I feel very confident in her safety, as she rides now.

If your 10 year old is average sized, or if you have a younger child and are just hoping for age 10 as your goal to be harnessed, the only option you *might* have is the Frontier, but it's still likely they will not fit.

mommy-medic

Unregistered said:
What is a good harnessed seat for an average 10-year-old?.

Any one they fit in by height and weight??? Your options will be slim to none though.

My average dd- newly 10yo- outgrew a regent a few years ago and when moving to a booster- was too tall for a highback so she had to go straight to backless.

Eta: what store did you find a prosport in?

creideamh

FWIW, I would wager a guess and say my 10 y/o cousin would fit in the FR85. (Never had a PS.) All my cousins are short-torsoed kids, and skinny little things, so they fit longer in seats than average kids. However, I'm guessing she wouldn't have much room left (DEFINITELY not enough to justify the pricetag of the Frontier), and the seat depth would be ridiculously short and uncomfortable.

She is currently in a backless Evenflo AMP in cars she does not 5 step in.

christineka

Depends on torso height. The tallest is the frontier85 at 20 inches. My nearly 12 year old fits. If I had spare cash I'd buy one for her just because she would like to ride harnessed and I don't believe it is unsafe.

hrice

The Frontier 85 has the tallest harness slots on the market at 20". (My 9 yr old has long outgrown the Frontier in harness mode BTW). Anything larger would be a special needs seat and über expensive.

What about a Britax Parkway booster with Slide Guard? It has an anti submarining strap.

Your 10 year old will be very well protected in a high back booster.

Heather, CPST and Momma to Dustin 11/01, Colton 6/08 and Peyton 6/09

Kac

Ambassador - CPS Technician
I probably wouldn't buy a harnessed seat for a child that will outgrow it very soon when there are equally safe options out there.

But then again, I also have an eight and a half year old in a backless booster and am perfectly fine with that decision.

MommyShannon

I am not a tech, but wanted to mention that I learned on here that the Frontier 85 requires a top tether over 65lbs but a lot of vehicles only allow the tether use up to 40 or 48 lbs so you would not be able to safely use the seat after your child weighed 65lbs. I believe the sict version of the seat doesn't have that restriction.

Brigala

CPST Instructor
A properly fitting booster is definitely safer than an outgrown harnessed seat.

Unless you have had a chance to try out your 10 year old in a Frontier and determine that she fits and has enough room to grow to make it a financially responsible choice, I would assume that there are no good options for a harnessed seat for a 10 year old.

There are, however, some excellent boosters available that will offer many of the benefits of a harnessed seat, with side-impact protection and good support. The Diono / Sunshine Kids Monterey comes to mind as one that will fit many 10 year olds.

Dmcj13

What about the Parkway SG? Would you feel better with that fourth point that the SG provides? Then You wont be wasting money if she outgrows the harness on the Frontier soon.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC