Radian Successful Install Thread

Pixelated

Moderator - CPST Instructor
1994 Nissan Axxess / Nissan Access (with the x is the correct spelling but just in case someone's spelling it 'normally'!)

The passenger's side has a rigid buckle stalk coming from the seat bight. Radian is incompatible FF here as the stalk can't be twisted down and the angles are all bad with the latch plate and necessary locking clip.

The centre is a lap belt with locking latch plate, and the buckle stalk is forward of the bight but flexible. Twist it 3x and the Radian works FF in recline mode.

The driver's side is a lap/shoulder belt and the buckle is flexible and forward of the bight. Twist it 3x and use a LC placed in just the right spot (1" from edge of latchplate) and the angles JUST work.

There are three drill holes for TAs in the vehicle on the tailgate sill.

I am a tech.

ADS

jacqui276

2003 Mazda Protege5
RFing in center or behind passenger, installed with seat belt.
FFing behind passenger or driver, installed with seat belt

2008 Toyota RAV4
RFing behind passenger, installed with seat belt.

Not tech inspected but there is very very little to no movement at the belt path.

Pixelated

2012 Ford Focus - hatchback model with leather seats - yeah Ford for making the lower anchors RED! and easily visible in the bight.

Passenger side - RF - installs easily and as upright as I would want it with an angle adjuster with UAS (latch). Leaves a good amount of space for the passenger but the seat is not all the way back. Same for driver's side - I'm 5'8 and can drive comfortably, just. A tall person would not want the Radian behind the driver. Seat belt install quick and easy too.

Centre position - RF - installs VERY upright but fits in between the two front seats for reasonably tall driver/passenger. Sufficiently upright without angle adjuster - with angle adjuster probably too upright for all but the oldest rear-facers who do not sleep in the car.

FF - recline not used - easy and quick with both seat belt and UAS in both outboard positions. Centre is not compatible with seat belt - with a lot of fighting I might have made it work but it was dark and didn't feel like it. Head restraint removed for all forward-facing installs. Centre UAS borrowing width is 18" and thus not allowed with a Radian.

I am a tech/instructor.

Last edited:

Pixelated

2002 Chevy Avalanche with full back seat (not sure what this body style is actually called but it's big - 4 doors). Leather seats, 60/40 split with the 40 behind the passenger. Pre-UAS, seat belts have really long stalks.

Tried the Radian RF in the centre (lap belt) with angle adjuster, 3x twist of buckle stalk. Seemed fine at first but over night it either loosened or compressed, and could not be tightened further. It may have been possible to get the buckle stalk completely in the belt path without the angle adjuster and no twists but I was fed up by that point and didn't try.

Radian was not compatible FF in the centre.

Radian was compatible outboard behind driver if the seat was shoved all the way outboard and 3x twist of stalk, in recline mode.

Radian was compatible RF behind the passenger with the angle adjuster - beautifully and easy! - as the buckle stalk on that portion is low and fixed.

Did not try FF behind the passenger but it probably would have been fine, and did not try RF behind the driver. That might not have worked or might have worked if all of the buckle stalk could go into the belt path.

FF tethering in this truck is...fun.

Attachments

• DSC00173.jpg
    DSC00173.jpg
    141.8 KB · Views: 38
U

Unregistered

Radian RXT RF Passenger Side in 2010 Honda CRV

2010 Honda CRV
RF LATCH installation of Radian RXT
behind passenger side (but thinking of moving to behind driver)
* without angle adjuster (but will insert the adjuster as soon as baby hits one year!)

I am NOT CPST, but had the installation verified by our local auxiliary police, who are certified (although I'm not sure by what certification group).

Summary: I was able to install RF LATCH in passenger side, but not in center; although I might attempt this center install again using seatbelt at some point. (If I'm successful, I'll update my post.) The passenger (and driver) side installation without the angle adjuster really impacts the leg room in the front of the vehicle. Note: I had to put SIGNIFICANT pressure on the Radian in order to tighten LATCH belts sufficiently.

Here are the posts that I made as I made the attempt to install this seat...
http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=233811

I think that for kids 1+ year old (that can use the angle adjuster), parents should be able to much more easily use the two outboard spots for installation without too much problem in a CRV.

MaKoski

2006 Buick Terraza or Chevy Uplander Same vehical
2nd row captians chairs, RF(with or without angle adjuster), both sides, with Latch, teathered under front seat
3rd row, RF(with or without a a),seat belt, out board, It will not fit in the center RF because of the hinges for the 50/50 split seat
I have not installed this seat FF. Could fit 3 across in 3rd row if center seat was FF.
Radian RXT

Gidgetc13

2010 Subaru Forester

Outboard: RF with LATCH or seat belt and angle adjuster, little to no movement at belt path, allows either front seat to be pushed all the way back. Currently have one behind passenger installed with LATCH and one behind driver installed with seat belt. Both seats are RF tethered to outside leg of seat in front of them. Without the angle adjuster the front seat has to be pushed way forward. I've also installed it FF outboard, rock solid install.

Center: RF with seat belt, with or without angle adjuster, can have front seats pushed pretty far back without angle adjuster.

None of these installs have been checked by a tech.

I tried to install one of my Radians FF in the center position before we bought the car. I could not get a good install, but that was with the recalled seat belt. I also did not like the RF install I tired before getting the seat belt replaced. The new seat belt is so much better than the old one. I got an awesome RF center install with the new seat belt. I have not tried a FF install with the new seat belt yet.

http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47a...cNnLNmzB7efDA/cC/f=0/ps=50/r=0/rx=550/ry=400/

Gidgetc13

2006 Nissan Altima
Center: RF, seat belt, 2 twists of belt stalk needed
Outboard: RF, seat belt or LATCH, 2 twists of belt stalk needed with seat belt install. With angle adjuster front seat can be pushed all the way back, w/o angle adjuster front seat needs to be pushed up slightly. I'm 5'10 and could ride in the passenger seat with non-adjusted Radian installed behind me. I'm more comfortable with the angle adjuster, but could ride relatively comfortably before we got an angle adjuster.

2005 Mercury Sable
Center: RF, seat belt or LATCH. Fits beautifully between the 2 front seats when it is installed in the center allowing both seats to be pushed all the way back with no touching.
Outboard: RF, seat belt or LATCH. Fits well without angle adjuster but requires front seat to be pushed slightly forward. With angle adjuster will fit behind either front seat with seats pushed all the way back. As with the Altima I could sit comfortably in the passenger seat without the angle adjuster but I am more comfortable with the angle adjuster and the front seat pushed all the way back.

None of my installs were checked by a tech.

thepote

2001 Saturn SL sedan
FF outboard with seatbelt, two twists of the buckle stalk, locked seatbelt. Nice and tight.

However, the top TA is (according to the manual) something that looks more like a cargo anchor and is way off center on the back window ledge. There is a predrilled plugged hole directly in back of the seating position that looks more like the spot the TA should be in. When I had the 1999 version of the same vehicle those plugged holes were where the dealership put in our TA's. As it is in now if the top tether were tightened the seat would be crooked. I need to research this issue for my friend.

Not a tech.

Mercuria

2012 (same generation as 2010, 2011) Volkswagen (VW) 4 door GTI (same body as Golf) - with AA

RF outboard, driver's side, LATCH. Solid install, but took some muscle. LATCH adjuster borders the belt path, but not close enough to cause loosening. Room for short driver with space to spare.

RF center, seatbelt. Could not get anywhere near tight when locked at the retractor. I believe this is because there is not much give in the seats (Radian did not appear to sink in when I put all my weight on it), so the belt could not be fed back in far enough to get it tight. Used locking plate, and needed two people because the female end of the buckle is very difficult to hold. It is attached to the adjacent female buckle, which gets in the way. Very short, steel-cabled stalk. May be possible with one person, but difficult. Not sure if seats are the same in the Golf.

Not a tech. Not checked yet, but nearly no movement at belt path, even when applying some force.

Did not attempt to tether.

love-pink

2013 Dodge Journey with 3rd row

Easy install with latch/seatbelt with angle adjuster and without in all three 2nd row seats. I havent had a change to try it in the 3rd row yet ;)

Not tech checked but rock solid install.

FBC7AB66-642B-410C-91E3-13728F496337-1444-0000018AEA25909C.jpg

FAF933D2-136C-4C1B-9A76-6BD1EDE49E25-1444-0000018AF57855F7.jpg

mrosehughes

FFing outboard in a 2007 Prius with the seatbelt. Far as I can tell the center seat was incompatible FFing (could not get it tight enough for anything). I am a tech.

starglowz

1995 Ford Windstar
Passenger side captions chair next to sliding door
RF with locking clip and top tether
Checked by tech 2x (first tech said there wasn't a tether, second one tethered it).

mommytoA

2008 Ford Fusion
Rf center with lap/shoulder belt. Rf outboard passenger with seat belt. Rf outboard passenger with latch.

2006 jeep wrangler rubicon
Ff outboard passenger with latch and top tether. Ff outboard passenger with seat belt and top tether.

2004 Pontiac Grand Prix
Rf center with seat belt.

2008 Ford F-150
Rf center with seatbelt.

2010 Ford Flex
Rf 2nd row driver's side with latch. Rf 2nd row driver's side with seat belt.

2007 Dodge Grand Caravan
Rf 2nd row driver's side with seat belt. Rf 2nd row driver's side with latch.

Not a tech, not checked by a tech. Angle adjuster used in all rf installations except 2007 Grand Caravan. Very sturdy installs with no movement at belt path.

Eta: rxt model, if that makes a difference ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

monica-m

CPST Instructor
RF with seat belt and angle adjuster 2nd row center in a 2013 Ford Explorer XLT without inflatable seat belts.

I am a tech.

jacqui276

2012 Mitsubishi RVR
RFing - installed quickly and easily with seatbelt behind passenger (didn't have angle adjuster with me when I installed it so the front seat had to be moved quite far forward making it not possible for someone to ride in the front). Not tech checked (I was testing driving the car) but it didn't budge.

2013 Dodge Journey (7 passenger)
RFing - easy install with seatbelt behind driver with angle adjuster. Went in easily behind passenger as well. Not tech checked but less than 1" of movement at belt path.

04099917-28a4-4f83-8808-dd8eebecf444_zps029736e0.jpg

ETA: I tried it out RFing passenger side on the 3rd row. I was able to get it installed tightly with a seat belt. The angle adjuster is a must due to the lack of leg room back there. With the 2nd row in the forward-most position, the Radian was touching the back of the seat, but was not braced. It was hard to get a good picture since it's a squishy back seat.

41b3d63e-4814-47c9-87b1-eb7ed5f980fc_zpsc0a4d55e.jpg

Last edited:

MommaMia

2011 Subaru Legacy sedan.
RFing with angle adjuster behind driver.
Installed with locking clip.

Getting a Radian installed in our Subaru has been a goal of mine since we bought the car. It was NOT an easy install. It required both my husband and I to hold the seat in place and put pressure on the seat so that I could get the locking clip in place. But in the end, it is a rock solid install! And it frees up some space so that a smaller adult can fit between the two seats (the other is a Marathon) and tend to the kids. I just hope I never have to install it in that car again...

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC