I feel like I prevented a tragedy

tarynsmum

Senior Community Member
Or at least a potential one :eek:

I was taking DD for my morning fast walk/jog (more walk than job, but you get the idea) a little later than usual because he overslept a bit - it was around 10:00. Just as I turned onto the "main road" in my neighborhood, I see two grandparents loading what two little girls into what looks like the cargo of a station wagon. I RAN ya'll, about 2 blocks to where they were, just as I see they have those fold-down rear-facing seats. The girls were about 3 and 4 (teeny) and there was a boy in the actual back seat who was 6 (but chubby ;)). I parked the jogger and walked up to them (gearing up, ya know), and said, "Not to butt into your business, but that's really unsafe, not to mention illegal." Very nicely, tinged with terror in my voice. The grandma REARED around and says, "I knew it! I told him it was a bad idea, but he insisted! THANK YOU for saying something!" And then she hugged me :love:

Apparently, they're watching the kids during the day since school is out, and the oldest daughter (who is 14), decided to sleep in, so they were going to pick her up (the couple's daughter had driven the kids over, but neglected to take the car seats out of her car). The grandfather KNEW it was wrong, but since they were only going about 15 minutes away, he figured it would be OK. Um, no. Grandma immediately got the kids out of the car (which is when I asked the boy how old he was, and he said that he rides in a booster :D ) The grandfather then said he would go and pick up the older granddaughter, whil Grandma stayed home with the younger 3. I'm happy.

:)

ADS

mommy2env

YaY!! I am glad you were able to say something ( and run! lol) that made a difference. Thank god they listened. You started off your day very well:D

TXDani

Senior Community Member
Good job!!! That is awesome they listened, appreciated, and thanked you for the heads up!!

Niea

I guess I'm confused. . .

Were the carseats installed on the rear-facing seat? Or were the girls just going to ride without carseats?

Now, the girls should have been in carseats for sure, but as far as I know it's not illegal to ride in a rear-facing vehicle seat if the vehicle came that way. Am I missing something?

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
I guess I'm confused. . .

Were the carseats installed on the rear-facing seat? Or were the girls just going to ride without carseats?

Now, the girls should have been in carseats for sure, but as far as I know it's not illegal to ride in a rear-facing vehicle seat if the vehicle came that way. Am I missing something?

You can NOT install a child restraint (carseat) on any type of vehicle seat that faces the rear or faces sideways. Child restraints can only be installed on vehicle seats that face the FRONT of the vehicle.

The girls would've needed to be restrained in their carseats which were not present. If they were small, there is no way they would have fit into the adult seatbelts properly.

Leila

Yay!!!!! So glad you were able to stop them!!

Jen, it sounds like the carseats were in another car, at their daughter's home.

Niea

You can NOT install a child restraint (carseat) on any type of vehicle seat that faces the rear or faces sideways. Child restraints can only be installed on vehicle seats that face the FRONT of the vehicle.

I'm aware of that. But the way the story is told, it sounds like the carseats were in the daughter's car, not the car the children were riding in. So that leads me to think they weren't going to sit in carseats at all.

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
I'm aware of that. But the way the story is told, it sounds like the carseats were in the daughter's car, not the car the children were riding in. So that leads me to think they weren't going to sit in carseats at all.

They probably weren't but your question was whether a carseat can be installed on a rearfacing vehicle seat and the answer is no. It is illegal to do this and specifically states in all carseat manuals that the carseat may only be installed on a forward facing vehicle seat.

Hope that clears things up.:)

Niea

They probably weren't but your question was whether a carseat can be installed on a rearfacing vehicle seat and the answer is no. It is illegal to do this and specifically states in all carseat manuals that the carseat may only be installed on a forward facing vehicle seat.

Hope that clears things up.:)

Where did I ask this???? I'm extra confused because that's not what I meant, nor is it what I wrote.

I asked:

1. Were the grandparents installing the carseats on the rear-facing vehicle seat?

or

2. Were the children going to be riding without carseats at all?

If they were opting with #1, then obviously that's a no-no. I know that. But if they were opting to go with #2, then my comment was that that's not illegal in general, provided that the children are large enough to do without a carseat. In this case, the children were not large enough to go without carseats (in our opinion, but that's up to the law in the state in which the children reside).

CDNTech

Senior Community Member

This is what led me to believe that you were asking if it was illegal to install carseats on rearfacing benches in vehicles.

It was the "girls should have been in carseats for sure" coupled with the "am I missing something" question with the "as far as I know it's not illegal" in the middle of the other two statements.

Just a little confusion I guess. ;)

Also, just wanted to add... I realize it would depend on the state, but for all of Canada, a child must be restrained (in a child restraint, not a booster) until the age of 6 yrs old OR 40lbs. Some provinces have stricter laws on top of the Federal law that need to be followed as well.

Niea

This is what led me to believe that you were asking if it was illegal to install carseats on rearfacing benches in vehicles.

It was the "girls should have been in carseats for sure" coupled with the "am I missing something" question with the "as far as I know it's not illegal" in the middle of the other two statements.

Just a little confusion I guess. ;)

Also, just wanted to add... I realize it would depend on the state, but for all of Canada, a child must be restrained (in a child restraint, not a booster) until the age of 6 yrs old OR 40lbs. Some provinces have stricter laws on top of the Federal law that need to be followed as well.

Sorry, I did not mean to add to the confusion! And I didn't realize we were talking about Canada, so that does make a difference too.

I guess I was trying to figure out what, exactly, was illegal in this situation. It seems that if these small girls were riding without carseats, then that's the illegal part. In that case, it actually doesn't matter which direction the vehicle seat was facing.

But in the end, yeah, it wasn't safe for the girls to be riding! So I'm glad that they kept them home since they couldn't transport them safely.

tarynsmum

Senior Community Member
OK, to clear up confusion (sorry about that):

There were no car seats at all. The 3 and 4 y.o. were both under 40 pounds (just to give you an approximation on size). When I came up, the grandfather was trying to figure out how to get the lap-shoulder belt around the 3 y.o. - the shoulder belt hit her across the eyes (that's how little she was), so he was wrapping it around and behind her (because, you know, that makes it better). The 4 y.o. was a little taller, the shoulder belt was slicing her in the neck (at least it wasn't across her face). The lap belts on both were going across their tummies.

I'm in Pennsylvania, where it's illegal to have a child under 4 and 40# not in a CRS. The booster law also says 4-8 y.o.s must be in a booster, so that would be another ticket on the boy (from a legal standpoint). Regardless of how they were facing, it was illegal (methinks they were put in the far back so that it would be less obvious, but I'm really cynical. The first thing the grandfather said was, "I know it's wrong", so that's why I think he did use the RFing seats)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC