Toni's Legacy YouTube video

ADS

Morganthe

I hadn't seen it at all. Thanks for posting.

I had a lot of mixed feelings watching it until I realized she died in 1999. 8 years ago - (my first reaction was amazement that they didn't 'get' the danger --then started thinking about what I see people do today)

-At the time, was there any emphasis at all about having kids in booster seats? Probably it depended on what state you were in. I might not have thought much about it if I had been a parent at the time. I don't even know if NM had a law after 12 months. Texas definitely didn't give a hoot about booster seat use... still doesn't. :mad:

Around this time, we were in Germany where it IS the law to have a child in a harness or booster seat at that age AND in the back seat until at least 12 years old. I think the law had just become more strict right around then too. I believe that's where I began to get a glimmer of my future car seat freak... In NM, kids riding in the backs of trucks was pretty common. I hated it. :(

stayinhomewithmy6

Senior Community Member
I don't know what the thoughts were on booster seats in '99. That's a good question. Hopefully someone else with older kids will remember.

keri1292

Also, they're from Australia and I've heard that their car seat laws are inadequate. It was probably the norm then. Her memorial page...
http://www.toni-perry.memory-of.com/
It says that "currently a child over the age of ONE is legally allowed to be moved into a child booster and restrained only by an adult [belt]
From Wikipedia...
[edit] Australian Regulations

AS1754By law every child restraint sold in Australia must carry the Australian Standard AS/NZ1754 sticker (pictured right). Most overseas child restraints, including restraints from countries such as the UK and USA, do not comply with these Standards and cannot legally be used in Australia.

Children under one must be restrained in a suitable, approved child restraint.
Passengers aged one year and over, but under 16 years, must occupy a seat fitted with a seat belt or suitable child restraint, if such a seat is available.
The responsibility for children under 16 years using restraints correctly rests with the driver. Penalties for drivers not ensuring their passengers, under the age of 16, are properly restrained involve a fine of $165 and three demerit points or, if convicted in court, a fine of up to $500 and three demerit points. Possible suspension or cancellation of licence may also apply.[2]

Exemptions to the law:

If a child under one is travelling in a taxi and a suitable restraint is not available, provided the child does not travel in the front seat.
If a child is travelling in a police or emergency vehicle.
If a child has a medical condition or physical disability that makes it impractical to use a child restraint, and the driver has a certificate from a doctor indicating this is the case.[3]

How sad for these Australian kids. :(

stayinhomewithmy6

Senior Community Member
Children under one must be restrained in a suitable, approved child restraint.
Passengers aged one year and over, but under 16 years, must occupy a seat fitted with a seat belt or suitable child restraint, if such a seat is available.

How sad for these Australian kids. :(

:eek: :(
I can't believe that. I thought the video said they could be in a booster after 30 lbs, or maybe that's the Belle video. I guess some 1 yr olds could be 30 lbs, though.
I was thinking about my cousin's son, Austin (he's the angel of our family), who was killed in an accident when he was 4 in Sept '03. He was in a regular adult seat belt, no booster seat. His pediatrician had advised his parents (my cousin and his wife) that he didn't need a car seat anymore and that a booster seat wasn't necessary. So, they didn't realize what a huge risk it was to not have him in a booster seat, either. Unfortunately, so many parents still listen to what their doctors and nurses tell them regarding car seat safety and most doctors/nurses don't know what they're talking about. I have told so many parents that doctors are experts in a lot of areas, but car seat safety is not usually one of them.

scatterbunny

My sister was 5 in 99 and in a Gerry shield booster because my mom thought keeping her in the middle was safest, and the middle only had a lapbelt. :( I can't remember when she moved to a seatbelt-only, but it was much too soon, I'm sure. She was 10 and about 4'9 when I became CPS-aware and she'd been out of a booster for a few years already.

keri1292

:eek: :(
I can't believe that. I thought the video said they could be in a booster after 30 lbs, or maybe that's the Belle video. I guess some 1 yr olds could be 30 lbs, though.
I was thinking about my cousin's son, Austin (he's the angel of our family), who was killed in an accident when he was 4 in Sept '03. He was in a regular adult seat belt, no booster seat. His pediatrician had advised his parents (my cousin and his wife) that he didn't need a car seat anymore and that a booster seat wasn't necessary. So, they didn't realize what a huge risk it was to not have him in a booster seat, either. Unfortunately, so many parents still listen to what their doctors and nurses tell them regarding car seat safety and most doctors/nurses don't know what they're talking about. I have told so many parents that doctors are experts in a lot of areas, but car seat safety is not usually one of them.

That is so sad. I'm very sorry for your family. Does their doctor realize what a horrible mistake he made? Is he educated now thanks to that poor baby? :( So many people look to doctors for advice on everything. Unfortunately, noone is an expert on everything. I feel that doctor is to blame. Wasn't that against the law? Again, I'm sorry.:(

stayinhomewithmy6

Senior Community Member
That is so sad. I'm very sorry for your family. Does their doctor realize what a horrible mistake he made? Is he educated now thanks to that poor baby? :( So many people look to doctors for advice on everything. Unfortunately, noone is an expert on everything. I feel that doctor is to blame. Wasn't that against the law? Again, I'm sorry.:(

I don't know what the laws were. At the time I don't think there was a booster seat law in IL, or if there was, it must've been very new. The parents don't want to place blame on anyone. Well, except the guy that fell asleep and hit the car Austin was in (he was with his babysitter at the time). I wanted to share a couple of pictures of him. This was at my wedding in June 2001. Here's Austin, our angel.
93782958705_0_ALB.jpg

39240958705_0_ALB.jpg

keri1292

He's absolutely gorgeous. He looks like a little ladies man. I love the over the shoulder with his woobie (sorry, that's what I call my blanket/lovey). I understand putting the blame in the right place, I just wouldn't want that Dr. telling anyone else to move their little ones to an adult seatbelt.
My hubby has sleep issues. Not really in the car (yet) but, somethings definetly not right. We're working on getting him into a sleep clinic. An accident like this would rip many families apart.
Thanks for sharing the pics. He's a sweet little boy.

Jordynsmama

I just dont understand how you couldnt look at your child in an adult seatbelt and see how it doesn'tr fit? How it practically comes up the their face? I babysit a 9 yr old and it looks crazy on him!
So that is what I would judge it by regardless, so yeah I do kinda have mixed feelings about the video. Except the fact is was 8 yrs ago.
As far as little Austin I am so sorry for your loss. I can't imagine losing my daughter. I guess that is why only myself, my mom and her dad can drive her. And why she has never had a babysitter. Or why i will not let me grandma drive her. Or why I hate leaving the house without her b/c I worry about something happening to me and her being without me. I swear sometimes I think I am gonna drive myself crazy:dizzy: .
Ugh. It is so hard. He is so adorable and he always will be :)

skaterbabs

Many (most?) people do not understand proper fit of the seatbet to begin with, and do not understand how it works or why it's important to wear it correctly.

stayinhomewithmy6

Senior Community Member
Many (most?) people do not understand proper fit of the seatbet to begin with, and do not understand how it works or why it's important to wear it correctly.

:yeahthat:
Most people think that a seat belt's job is to hold a person in place (it is) and they don't realize the forces that are at work in an accident. They don't realize that, even though it might hold their child in place, an adult seat belt can cause internal injuries in their child's abdomen. In Austin's case, it was head injuries, not abdominal injuries. His 2 yr old sister was sitting next to him in an OHS car seat that I'm sure wasn't used right and her only injury was a broken leg. I really think that most parents don't realize the risk in not using a booster seat. Xavier went to a friend's birthday party last week and the other mom picked him up. I was in her vehicle (a Durango) installing Ave's Radian and I couldn't help but notice that none of the other kids were even in a booster seat. She even had her son's booster seat sitting in the front seat (I suppose so that one of the other kids could use it - she tried talking me into using it, but it was a backless and Ave has never used a booster seat so I'd be so worried about him sitting correctly) and her son was sitting in the back with only the seat belt. I just don't get it. Then she went on to tell me that she's really good at installing car seats and gets a sense of satisfaction out of getting her 2 yr old's in really tight. That's good at least, but then her just turned 6 yr old, average size kid, and none of the other 5-6 yr olds in the vehicle were in booster seats. :(

Morganthe

And everytime I watch "Bones", I go nuts trying to figure out their pattern whenever the main characters are driving together. Sometimes HE wears his belt and she doesnt, then reverse that... then they both wear them in the scene and other times neither does. :confused: But wow! There's no consistency at all. :rolleyes: I'm sure they're breaking laws since government vehicles require mandatory seatbelt compliance :p

I can kind of understand why David Boreanz doesn't like to wear the seatbelt in the 'FBI Vehicle' they use. It's one of those new seat mounted types. My 6'3 dh tried it out once during a test drive and found it the most uncomfortable things ever. The belt slot was actually below the back of his shoulder. Talk about 'head excursion' worries :thumbsdown:

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
I've yelled at the screen while watching Bones, for the same reason you've noticed. I know what you mean about the shoulder belts coming out of the vehicle seat. MIL's Envoy had those and it was very uncomfortable for DH, 6' 1" and most of it in his torso, and even worse for me the one time I ended up riding in the rear center seat which had the shoulder belt positioned even lower and the seatbelt anchors spaced closely together. It felt like having your shoulder/collarbone on the verge of dislocation during normal motion of the vehicle, ouchie. :eek: Still better to wear the seatbelt than not at all, of course, but some are better designed to fit properly than others for a variety of adults.

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
It's a series on Fox about a female forensic anthropologist named Temperance Brennan, nicknamed Bones, who partners with an FBI agent played by David Boreanaz (of Buffy the Vampire Slayer/Angel series fame). It's kind of a cross between CSI, with gory stuff, forensics gadgetry, and creepy suspects, and the older detective show Moonlighting, with humorous character interactions. The show is based on a book series whose author escapes me at the moment. :eek: http://www.fox.com/bones/

Morganthe

Author is Kathy Reichs, now a well known forensic anthropologist. First book was Deja Dead. I like them a lot.
TV series is not true to the books, but who cares really? :shrug-shoulders: Character is Tempe/ Temperance Brennan in her late 20s in Wash. DC. Lots of quips, quotes and a great supporting cast who make geeks cute. Even dh likes watching it. And since he's fed up on anything except the original CSI for crime investigations, it says a lot.

Book Character is same name, but in her late 40s, early 50s after a lot of seasoning for career, divorce, young adult daughter, and interesting male lead. Switches between Quebec and one of the Carolinas, which is what Kathy Reichs has done. Occasionally, the book series is set in other locales, such as excavating a Central American massacre site and Masada in Israel.

What I thought was funny is that Tempe has written a fictional book in the TV series --- main character's name is: Kathy Reichs :p

You can always rent or netflix the first season -- it's on DVD if you're interested :) 2nd will probably show up soon. This fall will be 3rd season. Fox has become very speedy with its tv series

Last edited:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC