Traveling to Spain

salyluz

Should I attempt to take my own seats? Would they work? On plane? In a vehicle over there?
I have been buying/replacing seats.
At the moment I have a MyRide65, Britax Roundabout50. Possibly going to get a Maestro or Frontier, An Evenflo Big Kid or Monterey.

I will have a 7.5yo, 5yo, 3yo, and 1yo in seats. The older one can be in a backless by then (maybe the 5yo for space isssues?).

What do I need to know and where can I find more info? I know each airline is different (AA/Iberia is the main one my family uses to fly there). How do I find vehicles that will fit the seats? Can I rent seats there and is that safe?

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Your seats will work on the planes and in the cars. Check with whatever airline you use that they allow seats on board. Not all do. I would never rent seats. You have no idea who's puked, peed, pooped, crashed, eaten, or washed the harnesses in them. You don't know their age or if they've been recalled. And in Europe you simply may not know the seat.

Get to know a locking clip if necessary, as some European cars don't have locking belts, but they should have ISOFIX. That's interchangeable with LATCH.

We've always taken our seats to other countries and used them just fine.

Wendy

mommycat

:yeahthat:

What are the weights/heights of the kids? Are you going to do a lot of long driving trips? What vehicle will you have?

Is the 5yo closer to 4 or 5, sleep often in car and are they at all booster ready? With that many kids I would probably prefer to have the oldest 2 boostered if possible - but train at home before you leave. I would put both of them in the Harmony backless booster, cheap light and good belt fit IME, and fairly narrow. Bring them carry-on, the kids can carry them themselves. If the 5yo needs the highback I would get a Graco TurboBooster and carry-on the seat section, wrapping the back in clothes in your checked luggage. I think the Monterey is too heavy for travel.

The Maestro would be a decent seat, I would not lug along a Frontier (heavy!). The RA50 would work very well onboard the plane and I suspect the MyRide would be very similar but have no experience. Would you need to do 3across? Depending on the vehicle you will have (if it has l/s belt in center rear seat) if you need 3across you could probably do MR/Harmony/RA50. The Harmony fits very well next to the MR both RF and FF since it is low and the MR base is narrow then flares; RA50 is very similar in shape. You could also pick up a Scenera for a travel seat for the baby, it's also cheap and light and fairly small + quite narrow, and it works very well in airline seats both FF and RF, oh and it also has similar flare as the RA50 for puzzling a bit better (practice locking clip install before you go).

More info would help make seat choices more clear. :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC