Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread

RF seat for airplane then car

[1st time post, so please forgive if I fumble...] I will be traveling with my 15-month-old on Spirit Air (Ugh! Customer service told me that any car seat would be fine as long as it fit under the seat...what?!). I am looking for a car seat that will work well RF. Also, I am a worrier. I want to buy the supreme, EPS, side-impact protecting (I know that testing/standards are dubious), put-my-baby-in-a-protective-shell car seat. However, I know that some of the car seats that seem to better fit this bill (thinking of the Britax Advocate) are not the best to travel with. I've seen many suggest the Scenera for air travel, but I'm just not sure about it. I'm sure it would be fine in the airplane, but is it the best for road/highway travel at our destination?

So, I am looking for a car seat that travels well, can be used RF in a plane, and is still a high-quality seat for car travel. (Also, this will be used in DH's car after the trip.)

Thanks a million for any tips or suggestions.

p.s. This is not intended as a criticism of those who like the Scenera. I just get anxious about these things!

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Admin - CPST Instructor wendytthomas's Avatar

Re: RF seat for airplane then car

Without knowing how big your 15 month old is, besides the Scenera, the first that comes to mind is the Combi Coccoro. It's small, lightweight, narrow, covered in foam, and ours also lives in my husband's car when we're not traveling.

Wendy
    wendy, cpst-i mom to
    piper, 7/26/02, 62", 108#, seatbelt, driving her own car
    laine 9/16/09, 54", 96#, Nuna Aaces, Diono Solana 2
    in my husband's 2018 Toyota Land Cruiser, my 2017 Volvo XC90, and big sister's 2016 Honda Civic
    https://www.car-seat.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1353&dateline=1552329  785

also the cocorro has a stroller you can place it on which makes it a great little travel system.
    Wyatt Henry, 5.25.2010

Thanks! I knew I was leaving something out (I've been reading enough past posts to know better.) DD is big girl. She is about 24-25 lbs. and 32 in. She's been plateaued at the weight for a while, but I'm not sure about height. We get a lot of, "She's a really tall/long baby!" Ideally, we would find something that would RF for as long as possible, but I know that this is difficult with such a long girl.

CPS Technician

If we take out the requirement to RF on the airplane, I'd say a Radian for a tall kid: it FF on the plane beautifully, folds up and you can wear it like a back pack and has extra shell height long term for the tall ones.

But a radian RF on the plane is a pain in the tookus. And it's heavy.

Maybe look at a MyRide? That might be a nice compromise between Scenera and Britax. I can't remember if I installed it RF on the plane, though, and it's a big old awkward thing to lug through the airport. You do have to put the arm rests up, I remember that. Lighter than any Britax, though, which is nice when traveling.
    Kathleen, CPST and mom to a pair of Cs.

CPS Fanatic

Any plans to have another baby in the next year or two?

Even through the Coccoro isn't a long lasting seat, it would work for the short term for your baby. If you will have another baby to pass it along to, then you might be able to justify getting it now.

Melanie