RF seat for airplane then car

MagsMomma

[1st time post, so please forgive if I fumble...] I will be traveling with my 15-month-old on Spirit Air (Ugh! Customer service told me that any car seat would be fine as long as it fit under the seat...what?!). I am looking for a car seat that will work well RF. Also, I am a worrier. I want to buy the supreme, EPS, side-impact protecting (I know that testing/standards are dubious), put-my-baby-in-a-protective-shell car seat. However, I know that some of the car seats that seem to better fit this bill (thinking of the Britax Advocate) are not the best to travel with. I've seen many suggest the Scenera for air travel, but I'm just not sure about it. I'm sure it would be fine in the airplane, but is it the best for road/highway travel at our destination?

So, I am looking for a car seat that travels well, can be used RF in a plane, and is still a high-quality seat for car travel. (Also, this will be used in DH's car after the trip.)

Thanks a million for any tips or suggestions.

p.s. This is not intended as a criticism of those who like the Scenera. I just get anxious about these things!

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Without knowing how big your 15 month old is, besides the Scenera, the first that comes to mind is the Combi Coccoro. It's small, lightweight, narrow, covered in foam, and ours also lives in my husband's car when we're not traveling.

Wendy

MagsMomma

Thanks! I knew I was leaving something out (I've been reading enough past posts to know better.) DD is big girl. She is about 24-25 lbs. and 32 in. She's been plateaued at the weight for a while, but I'm not sure about height. We get a lot of, "She's a really tall/long baby!" Ideally, we would find something that would RF for as long as possible, but I know that this is difficult with such a long girl.

KaiLing

If we take out the requirement to RF on the airplane, I'd say a Radian for a tall kid: it FF on the plane beautifully, folds up and you can wear it like a back pack and has extra shell height long term for the tall ones.

But a radian RF on the plane is a pain in the tookus. And it's heavy.

Maybe look at a MyRide? That might be a nice compromise between Scenera and Britax. I can't remember if I installed it RF on the plane, though, and it's a big old awkward thing to lug through the airport. You do have to put the arm rests up, I remember that. Lighter than any Britax, though, which is nice when traveling.

Jan06twinmom

Any plans to have another baby in the next year or two?

Even through the Coccoro isn't a long lasting seat, it would work for the short term for your baby. If you will have another baby to pass it along to, then you might be able to justify getting it now.

Melanie

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC