Checking carseats on plane

U

Unregistered

I have an older style Britax Marathon. I have checked it as baggage on a few flights, but now see that this is not recommended here. I have put it in a carseat backpack thing that is padded. Do I need to replace the seat or is it still okay?

Thanks!

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I'd replace it. There's no way to say it's ok. Even if we were looking at it, short of obvious external damage, we wouldn't be able to say. There may be damage to components we can't see, or weakening of something that looks fine. Until your baby goes flying by you during a crash, anyway.

If you need recommendations, we're happy to help.

Wendy

jnamommy

I agree, you really need to replace it. You have no idea what has happened to that carseat. Do you ever get luggage back that is missing wheels, sides broken, torn, etc? Same concept. Your seat may have been thrown, dropped, crushed under other baggage. Better safe than sorry, so you don't have ever to say "If only......"

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Yep. My car seats were in a major crash and there wasn't visible damage; I've seen awful things done to gate-checked seats, and they might not leave visible damage but I'd not use a seat that was checked unprotected, myself. And by unprotected I mean "not packed more carefully than you would to ship it in the mail"- bubble wrap, box, sturdy tape, the whole 9 yards.

MommaTo3inNH

I simply do not get the paranoia of gate checking seats! People have been gate checking seats and strollers for years... Gate workers sure get a bad rep...

My bff's husband is a gate worker, and my brother was up until a year ago. I have asked them (separately lol) what happens to our strollers and seats once we walk onto the plane. They both said that things are not manhandled, and as a rule they are the last things stowed and first things removed. My brother said he once dropped a seat out of the door accidentally and he went back inside and the flight attendant got the passenger to explain and file a claim. Bff's hubby said on two occassions he broke a stroller - one time he didn't fold it up right and it snapped and the other time he was walking backwards and stepped on one.

They both said you can ask for badge #'s of the guys loading your stuff just in case something happens...

If we gate check a seat (rare) we put it in a travel bag. Not necessarily for protection from damage but more fir keeping the cover clean. I would never, ever sidewalk or counter check a seat. It goes into the abyss of the airport where there is zero accountability!

Pixels

I gate checked a seat once. I got most of it back. The airline wasn't even apologetic.

Even if the gate check attendants are careful with seats, they are placed in the luggage hold along with all the other luggage. Things can shift in flight and your seat could be hit by someone's 50 pound suitcase.

morninglori

I simply do not get the paranoia of gate checking seats! People have been gate checking seats and strollers for years... Gate workers sure get a bad rep...

Most of my concern comes from that steep slide that gate checked items get to ride down. Not quite a freefall drop, but still, those bags hit with a thud at the bottom even with those rubber bumpers at the end.

littleangelfire

My eyes weren't lying to me when I watched the baggage handlers manhandling and tossing seats on the ground as I was waiting to board.

:yeahthatmad: I sat in my seat and WATCHED as things were tossed under the plane, even tossed onto the cart that was going to be tossing things onto the plane. And I watched an infant carrier, boxless, go through all that. The 'paranoia' is b/c you can't always tell when a seat has been damaged. I once used a seat for I don't know how long before realizing it had cracked foam. Only realized b/c the cover came off one day and I saw it. And I'm not blaming the baggage handlers. Passengers shouldn't put things that are important or things that can be broken through a process that could harm them. A stroller is fairly easily replaced and also fairly easy to tell damage. A car seat is not.

U

Unregistered

Okay thanks guys! I will get a new seat. It was counter checked both times (both directions). I was thinking of replacing it with a frontier 85 as I am a Britax lover. I was wondering if anyone knows if this (or any other seats) will fit on the plane and let the tray table fold down. My son is almost 3 years old so I would be okay FF him at this point.

littleangelfire

Britax has lots to love. Except the price, lol. However, the Graco Nautilus is a great seat, too, so you might consider it, especially for traveling. It's slightly less bulky than the Frontier85. Also, if you travel frequently, you might check and see if a Ride Safer Travel Vest (RSTV) would be a good fit for your child. It's literally a vest, can fit into your carry-on (not to be worn on the plane) and then you thread the belt in any vehicle through it. what's even better is that it can be used with just a lap belt as long as you use the tether, so it's a really good fit for lots of different vehicles. I love ours. IT was so easy to travel with. If one of the sizes will fit your child.

Lucy4242

I just checked my daughters in the box it came in straight from the store. It worked out great on the way there and the box was in perfect shape. However, on the way back, I had to use packing tape from Staples to repack it (I also threw a blanket in the box). It was 99 humid degrees and the tape began the melt. I never in a million years considered that! Delta was great and re-taped it with their amazing tape, tied it closed with rope, and then let me have it back in ATL where we had to catch our connection. I then bought more tape (it was cooler there) and gate checked it.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC