Where to put baby if using a convertible seat?

Phineasmama

Was just wondering for those of you who like using a convertible from birth- how do you put the baby down if you need to? Say you're going to the chiropractor or something- I'm not talking about in the grocery store where you can just put baby in an Ergo.

Someone told me that there are folding bouncy seats available, but the only one I can find is this Infantino thing that honestly looks like crap and has terrible reviews.

I have a City Select stroller so I could buy the bassinet, but it looks like it's pretty huge and wouldn't be that convenient either. Plus how long would a baby want to lay flat like that?!

ADS

Ducky5306

A stroller with a flat recline? or close to flat.. I think my old graco metrolite reclined enough that I put my son in it from 6 weeks on (and before 6 weeks I wouldn't really be going out and about too much or putting them down much ya know?)

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
Stroller (it doesn't need to lay flat, a kid in a bucket isn't flat)

Blanket on floor in corner next to big sibling

Arms of nice random volunteer*waves* who will happily stand in your line of sight for long periods of time so she can snuggle the cute baby

Moses basket

Bouncy chair-Fisher Price newborn to toddler rocker folds.

Portable swing

Bumbo

Portable high chair

Adult chair using your carrier as straps

Old bucket seat you are keeping off the road (If you could find an old Fisher Price Stay in View, they were da awesome)

Phineasmama

My stroller *does* recline all the way flat so I suppose I could do that! It would be so much easier for my 3 across if I could just put the noob in the Radian so that's why I was wondering...

Of course Baby Jogger says not to put them in the actual seat until 6 months old, but then again maybe they just want you to buy a bassinet hehe!

eta: I know it doesn't have to be flat but I mean it would recline as much as needed.

momtoo3

I just bought a used bucket off craigslist for $10 and kept it in the back of my van. I never used the bucket as his car seat, other than the time ds3 decided to have a major blowout and vomit at the same time. His convertible was useless at that time so I did the best I could. The extra bucket is great for places a stroller can't go too.

lovemybabies924

That's a good idea to toss a bucket in the trunk, or even a moses basket that has a usable carry strap... What about one of those lillybaby things or whatever?

Sent from my iPod touch, sorry for any auto-correct typos!

mom22boys

CPS Technician
I have our 3mo in a boulevard, and just broke down and got the BJCS bassinet kit. I have to say, it's awesome!!! Baby loves it! I can always stick a blanket under him to prop him up if need be. It's very sturdy- has great handles, and I like that the foam pad cover comes off to wash. You DO need the doubles kit for it, as it utilizes the seat frame and shade hood from the seat.

DS2 absolutely HATED his snugride, so I switched him to a convertible at 10wo. Now he's happy as a clam.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Until they can roll and/or scoot, just a folded baby quilt on the floor, generally. (At friends' and relatives' houses, if they're sleeping and I want to put them down so we can eat, and no one has free hands to hold them, I've been known to ask for a laundry basket and lay a quilt in it, lol.) If somewhere without a safe corner to put them, travel swing or lay-flat stroller. Once a bit older, umbrella strollers are easier to bring in and out of offices (take up less space.)

leighi123

A couple of my friends have this bouncer:

http://www.theportablebaby.com/babysitter.html

It folds up flat and is actually pretty nice.

I always had ds in a carrier of some sort, I can't remember ever having to put him down in a random place, but I'm guessing if I did, I just stuck him on a receiving blanket on the floor somewhere.
At the chiropractor, you could probably find someone to hold him (receptionist or nurse or something)

Phineasmama

I have our 3mo in a boulevard, and just broke down and got the BJCS bassinet kit. I have to say, it's awesome!!! Baby loves it! I can always stick a blanket under him to prop him up if need be. It's very sturdy- has great handles, and I like that the foam pad cover comes off to wash. You DO need the doubles kit for it, as it utilizes the seat frame and shade hood from the seat.

DS2 absolutely HATED his snugride, so I switched him to a convertible at 10wo. Now he's happy as a clam.

that's good to hear, I was concerned because none of the reviews on it seemed to be good, but then again they mostly revolved around the fact that you have to use one of the seat frames to make the bassinet...

I do have the doubles kit already since I've been using it for my 2 and 4 year old.

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
As others have posted, I just used a blanket on the floor, a crashed infant seat for times when the blanket wasn't practical (no visible damage, it just wasn't safe for use as a carseat), and a sling. My youngest went straight into a convertible, and I really preferred it. Everyone knows that babies shouldn't sit in carseats except in the car, but it's SO much easier to avoid that when you've already unbuckled them and taken them out when you got out of the car. I didn't even use a stroller that often; for shopping I'd just grab two carts and lay my youngest down in the large section on a thick blanket, until she was old enough to sit up.

CrunchyMaineMama

Senior Community Member
I got this for my shower:
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Brica-Fold-Go-Travel-Bassinet/dp/B004L2JJ6E/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1309626849&sr=8-1"]Amazon.com: Brica Fold N' Go Travel Bassinet: Baby[/ame]

I love it. It's super compact and easy to fold/unfold. I laid O in it in his sun hut the other day when we were in the back yard and he seemed comfy. I figured it'd be good to use whenever I can't hold/wear him. (He's in a KF in the car, but the way it's puzzled it's easier to just leave it in.) It's not huge so he'll out grow it fairly quickly, but I figure he can sit in it with a few toys when he gets to that point as well and it gives a clean, somewhat contained area for him.

smileybrea

CPS Technician
Of course Baby Jogger says not to put them in the actual seat until 6 months

I'm pretty sure that's because they don't want you jogging/running with a child who can't sit up/hold their head up but for just regular use, walking, it's ok :)

I just bought a used bucket off craigslist for $10 and kept it in the back of my van.

:yeahthatlove: I was going to suggest that as well or the Eddie Bauer travel bed. I got one from a friend and it's super quick and easy to set up and break down: http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3695513&CAWELAID=436919722

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC