Why and How do I tell her?

PunkyMonkey

I have a good friend of mine that just got a convertible for her DD and I was checking it out the other day and I noticed she had the LATCH AND the seatbelt on it. Now, she is a good friend BUT she's kind of one of those 'dont tell me what to do' kind of people so I figure if I'm going to say anything about this I have 1 shot and I need to know all the facts.

I know its wrong to do both, but I don't entirely know why...

Anyone have some verbiage for me?

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
It can be like having two outfielders go for the ball.

"I've got it!"

"I've got it!"

Ball ends up on the ground and you have two outfielders with black eyes.

Each system is expecting to take the full crash forces and stretch. The worst case scenario is that because neither gets the full crash forces neither stretches. Therefore all of the crash forces to into the baby, rather than into the protective straps and shell of the seat.

Wendy

actuallyamanda

:yeahthat: Thats a good explanation for you!! I was just going to say that using them both can cause them both to fail in the event of a crash but hers sounds much better :)

Jan06twinmom

Is she someone who would be willing to check on the information on her own - if you give her a heads-up? If so, you could say something like, "I thought I read that you are only supposed to use LATCH or the seatbelt, but I'm not sure why." Then give her the link to car-seat.org and suggest she ask here to find out.

Melanie

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
"wow it's cool your seat allows you to use both the seat belt and LATCH at the same time, the manual on mine says I can only use one or the other"

PunkyMonkey

Ah thanks Ladies, I think I'll approach it kind of like you said with a question like "oh your seat allows you to use both? All 3 of our car seats say not to use both because <insert Wendy's awesome explanation here>" and maybe she'll at least look at her manual or google it and see NOT to.

:) appreciate the help as always! :)

monica-m

CPST Instructor
Another option would be to invite her to attend a seat check with you so she could have a CPST show her a safer way to install the seat.

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
In theory, even if neither system provides any stretch, you'd have even better coupling to the vehicle as the frame crushes in a crash. You'd minimize head excursion and possibly not do too much worse on other injury measures. My opinion is that most of the basis for not using both systems is that it would be prohibitively expensive to test and certify to federal standards (assuming you could even do this). Certainly, there are some scenarios where using two systems could be a safety issue, and we never know when this is the case, but I suspect that moving forward we may start to see at least some manufacturers revisit this guidance.

Ultimately, the best advice you can give to someone regarding a situation like this is to check their owner's manual and/or call the manufacturer.

A lot of this speculation would be avoided if only manufacturers, regulators and other agencies would realize the problem with imposing arbitrary LATCH limits. They are nearly impossible for parents find in many cases. Then, telling parents they have to discontinue LATCH or top-tether use at some weight only causes them to question if one system is inadequate by itself.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC