Need new seat for 4.5 year old

amy919

OK, so since we need to replace the girls' seats in Matt's car ASAP, I need to figure out what I'm going to do about Kaylie. I'm not worried about Teagan. I'd like to upgrade her to the Uptown instead of getting another Scenera, but I'll wait and see what the insurance company says. I also have a ComfortSport that I can use for her in the interim.

But back to Kaylie - she's about 35-36 pounds, 40 inches, all legs. Rides in a MA in my car, probably has another year or so to go. She's using the top slots, but has about 2 inches before she's even with them. She's just over the 2nd set of slots.

She was riding in a CarGo in Matt's car and hated it. I don't want to buy another one since she's only got 5 pounds left in it and I don't like it as a booster. What's a better option? Matt thinks we should just get the Parkway now instead of waiting until next year since it's not her everyday seat. I just don't think I can do that. I don't want her in a booster until she's 40 pounds. His argument is that she sits very well in it (sure, in the store), she's very responsible with car seat safety (agreed). My argument is that she's not 40 pounds. End of story.

What are my options? I don't like the harnessed seats that convert to a booster (at least none of the ones I have played with), I don't want to buy a seat to harness her for 5 more pounds, but I don't want her in a booster. Yes, I know - completely irrational. I'm asking for the impossible here. I'm totally lost - give me some options, please!

Amy

ADS

katiesmommy

The best I can come up with for you is to get a Regent and use it in your main car and put the MA in your husband's car. I don't know what else would last for you.

ajweeks

What about a Recaro Young Sport? It is a nice combo seat and makes a great booster. Yes, it only harnesses to 40 lbs., but since your daughter is only 35-36 and 4.5 years old, she probably won't make it to 40 lbs. before she is old enough to be in a booster.

The other two combo options that convert to boosters are the Apex (harnesses to 65 lbs.) and the Evenflo Generations (harnesses to 40 lbs.)

Otherwise, you have the Regent, MA or Radian.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Regent or Radian are what came to my mind. The Radian has 18" top slots, the Regent 21". Both will get you several more years, the Regent longer than the Radian, obviously. Depending on when you move her you may be able to pass down the seat to your younger child. The Regent may be the more cost effective seat in the long run, since it's about $270 and will last six years and probably last both girls several years each. The Radian has a seven year life span and is $180, but won't last as long, the girls may outgrow it before its lifespan is up.

Wendy

amy919

I am so torn. I can't replace her MA in my car right now. She'd totally flip out. She is going to freak when she outgrows that seat. My plan was always to get her a Regent at that point, but it's just not in the budget right now.

I guess the Apex could be an option, certainly not my 1st choice, but it may work IF Matt's car has adjustable head rests in the back, which I don't it does, come to think of it.

Ugh. I know my options are so limited here. Would any of you even consider putting her in a Parkway at this point?

Amy

stayinhomewithmy6

Senior Community Member
I wouldn't feel comfortable with her in a PW yet, either! If money's an issue, I'd go with the Apex. Otherwise, I'd consider the Young Sport, but if a Regent's not in your budget right now, I'm guessing the YS isn't either. You need a new seat immediately? What about the new Triumph Advance? I don't know many details about it, other than it will harness to 50 lbs. What about a different combination seat like an Evenflo Generations? I guess it really depends on the headrests... if there are headrests, I'd definitely go with the Apex.

becca011906

Senior Community Member
I would feel comforable with her in a booster part time at that age... depending greatly on her maturity level or depending on if you have switchable seat belts (which are great for helping kids learn to sit right in a booster) since you can lock them to keep them from leaning forward.

amy919

I would feel comforable with her in a booster part time at that age... depending greatly on her maturity level or depending on if you have switchable seat belts (which are great for helping kids learn to sit right in a booster) since you can lock them to keep them from leaning forward.

Maybe I am being stupid, but what are switchable seatbelts?

Amy

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
Maybe I am being stupid, but what are switchable seatbelts?

Amy

When you pull the seatbelt out all the way, it locks. You will hear a ratcheting sound as it retracts back into the retractor and if you try to pull it back out, it will not budge.

Typically you lock a seatbelt for a carseat install, but it's great for keeping kids properly positioned in their boosters... the locked seatbelt won't allow them to lean forward.

Edited to add: not all seatbelts lock like this... check your vehicle owner's manual to see what type of seatbelts you have. Look under child restraints in the safety section.

They are also called locking seatbelts, switchable, ALR/ELR to name a few.

amy919

When you pull the seatbelt out all the way, it locks. You will hear a ratcheting sound as it retracts back into the retractor and if you try to pull it back out, it will not budge.

They are also called locking seatbelts, switchable, ALR/ELR to name a few.

Yep - exactly what's in his car. It's an 06 Fusion.

Honestly, I can't believe I am even entertaining the thought of putting her in a Parkway at her age, but I hate (or just plain can't afford) the other options.

Amy

stayinhomewithmy6

Senior Community Member
It's not so much her age as her weight, right? A 4.5 yr old should be fine in a booster seat, but since she's still so much under 40 lbs, I just don't think I'd be comfortable with it.
Edited to add: locking the seat belts can help if a booster seat has good side/head wings, but if not, then the kid can lean out the side of the seat belt, so locking it doesn't make much of a difference.

amy919

It's not so much her age as her weight, right? A 4.5 yr old should be fine in a booster seat, but since she's still so much under 40 lbs, I just don't think I'd be comfortable with it.

Exactly. While I honestly believe she is responsible and mature enough to ride safely in a booster, she's too light. I was really considering it until I got home and looked at the rear drivers side of Matt's car where the huge dent is. Seeing her car seat right there at the point of impact made me realize she NEEDS to remain in a harnessed seat. And going by her normal growth pattern, it could take her over a year to get to 40 pounds.

If the FPSVD wasn't so hard to come by, that might be a good alternative.

Decisions, decisions, and I still haven't made one.

Amy

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
If the Apex doesn't work due to head restraint issues, what about an Evenflo Generations/Bolero... they make decent boosters, so you'd have another 5 lbs of harnessing (which could easily be a full year at her age) and then turn into a decent booster.

stayinhomewithmy6

Senior Community Member
If the Apex doesn't work due to head restraint issues, what about an Evenflo Generations/Bolero... they make decent boosters, so you'd have another 5 lbs of harnessing (which could easily be a full year at her age) and then turn into a decent booster.

:yeahthat:
I think the Generations would be a good option.

katiesmommy

"If the FPSVD wasn't so hard to come by, that might be a good alternative."

I sincerly wish I could just help you out there. We have several of the available in our Navy Exchange. I was just looking at them yesterday.

jennsmile

If you were in an accident Insurance should be replacing the seat and some don't care what you get as long as you get a carseat. So your budget might be bigger than you think.

Jenn

becca011906

Senior Community Member
I'm didn't realize she was under 40#'s my bad i miss ready her hight for her weight!!! I wouldn't put her in a booster at that weight!!! Sorry for the confusion!!!!

what do you mean by "If the FPSVD wasn't so hard to come by, that might be a good alternative." I just got one ordered for myself yesterday and i shoudl have it in a week or so.

lynsgirl

1) I think the suggestion of a Recaro Young Sport is a great one!

and

2) Another poster is correct that your budget may be larger than you think.

I agree with you that she should stay harnessed right now and I understand where you're coming from totally on not wanting to put her in a booster. Good gosh, my turning-6-in-August ds, who is 41ish lbs is in his MA full-time and I cringe every time he rides w/dh in his teeny car in the PW (not very often at all)! (((Hugs))) and I hope you can figure it out so she's not only safe, but you're comfortable with the solution.

amy919

what do you mean by "If the FPSVD wasn't so hard to come by, that might be a good alternative." I just got one ordered for myself yesterday and i shoudl have it in a week or so.

WHERE? Everywhere I called said they weren't in stock and I need it pretty quickly. If you know where I can get one quickly, please let me know. I'm assuming she'll fit in the FPSVD the same as in her MA, right?

Amy

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC