What's the biggest hybrid, currently?

Kellyr2

I'm hoping one of these days they'll make a hybrid minivan, preferably an Ody...
But as of right now, what is the hybrid with the largest seating capacity? Are there any that seat more than 5?

(Other than the Highlander, I already know about it. MIL has the non-hybrid one, and I'm going to play with her 3rd row this summer to see how I like it for carseats/boosters)

ADS

southpawboston

for mini-SUVs, right now it's either the ford escape, toyota highlander, or the lexus something-or-other.

for passenger cars, it's either the honda accord, or toyota camry. i also think there is a lexus in there as well.

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
I think the Highlander with the third row option is the largest hybrid available currently in terms of seating capacity. I don't think the Lexus RX400h has a third row option. A big step up in seating capacity would be a hybrid transit bus . ;) Hopefully there will be a hybrid 8-passenger minivan or crossover vehicle/SUV available at some point.

Last edited:

UlrikeDG

It's not a hybrid, but the higher end Odys "turn off" some cylinders when they aren't in use, significantly improving mileage.

Kellyr2

I was just reading that Toyota is the only one expected to release a minivan hybrid anytime soon, as they've got one in Japan. There's apparently high hopes for a hybrid Sienna.
I'd LOVE to buy now, but we just got out from under a car payment, I kinda like not having one. Probably in 2 yrs. when there will probably more options, like maybe a minivan, but we don't want to buy brand new...
So, I'm thinking probably the Ody with the better fuel economy. I just wish there were more options! People with big families (or med sized ones!) want to be nice to the environment, too! (we'll probably have 4 kids, or be ttc #4 by the time we're ready to buy)
The one problem I can think of with the Highlander is that the 3rd row is hard to access if you've got carseats in the 2nd row.

teekadog

The hybrid Sienna will probably be the first minivan. But that was slated for 2008, and there's still not even strong rumors going... it would be hopeful to expect it by 2010. We had thought we'd wait until then to get one, but after researching, we *really* don't want a 1st year model, they always come with so many bugs to work out, even though Toyota's had a great one in Japan for years. We'll get a regular one now, and trade-up when we're ready.

The Highlander is pretty tiny. I looked at it for about a second. ;)

Some American car makers are supposed to be coming out with good stuff in the future. You can check out lots of great info here: http://www.hybridcars.com/cars.html

jen_nah

CPST Instructor
There is also the Saturn VUE but it doesn't offer a 3rd row. There is also the Mercury Mariner which is the cousin to the Ford Explorer so I would think it has a 3rd row seating option available too.

GM is actually coming out with a hybrid in their large suv's (Tahoe/Yukon) in the '08 models (due in fall '07) from what I have read. They are also gearing up to offer more hybrid models within the next 2-3yrs too.

Here is the link to the Tahoe hybrid
Tahoe Hybrid

UlrikeDG

There is also the Saturn VUE but it doesn't offer a 3rd row. There is also the Mercury Mariner which is the cousin to the Ford Explorer so I would think it has a 3rd row seating option available too.

I was just coming to add the VUE and the Mariner to the ones listed above. ;) The govt fuel economy site has a comparison of all 5 of the Hybrid SUVs.

HybridCars.com has a list of current and expected hybrids.

Jeanum

Staff member
From what I've read, the Mariner is the corporate twin/cousin to the Ford Escape, not the larger Explorer, and the Mariner doesn't have a third row. I haven't been able to find out yet if the redesigned '08 Vue (conventional or hybrid version) will offer a third row option. My best guess is probably not because Saturn already has 7- and 8-passenger Outlook models in the product lineup.

ETA: cars.com has reviews of the '08 Vue up now, and it's a 5-passenger model, no third row option.

Last edited:

jen_nah

CPST Instructor
From what I've read, the Mariner is the corporate twin/cousin to the Ford Escape, not the larger Explorer, and the Mariner doesn't have a third row. I haven't been able to find out yet if the redesigned '08 Vue (conventional or hybrid version) will offer a third row option. My best guess is probably not because Saturn already has 7- and 8-passenger Outlook models in the product lineup.

ETA: cars.com has reviews of the '08 Vue up now, and it's a 5-passenger model, no third row option.

Yep, No 3rd row option on the new Vue.

I thought the Mariner was the cousin to the Explorer but I was thinking of the Mountaineer. My bad! :D

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
It's not a hybrid, but the higher end Odys "turn off" some cylinders when they aren't in use, significantly improving mileage.
And from what I understand, not hauling around a giant lead acid battery (toxic and hard to dispose of) makes for better driving performance all around. My Ford Escape only gets 27 MPG... I don't know what the non-hybrid gets, but if gas mileage were my only concern, I'd probably be better off with a Forester or CR-V.... (well, Versa or Fit, really, but we are digging the SUV thang for boyscout stuff right now...)

southpawboston

yes, honda has this technology in their high end trim level, but i don't consider a mileage boost from 25mpg to 26mpg between the two engine options (these are the official numbers from honda) significant :rolleyes:.

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
yes, honda has this technology in their high end trim level, but i don't consider a mileage boost from 25mpg to 26mpg between the two engine options (these are the official numbers from honda) significant :rolleyes:.

The difference was greater the previous 2 years, 2mpg city and 3mpg highway. There were some changes to the transmission for 2007 and the fuel economy for the trim with cylinder management dropped.

Can I please have a 4 cylinder diesel with cylinder management in a hybrid?

southpawboston

The difference was greater the previous 2 years, 2mpg city and 3mpg highway. There were some changes to the transmission for 2007 and the fuel economy for the trim with cylinder management dropped.

Can I please have a 4 cylinder diesel with cylinder management in a hybrid?

make that a biodiesel + cylinder management + plug-in hybrid... and hold the pollution. and make that to go, please. ;)

Last edited:

UlrikeDG

I want a plug-in hybrid (biodiesel with cylinder management) and solar panels for my garage!

*waits to see who one-ups that*

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC