Is this okay? I don't really have a choice

dragonfly8

so I guess I'm looking for the best case suggestions.

My car needs to go into the shop on Monday. Grandma and Poppa are picking up 3 year old ds on sunday for a sleepover on sunday night. So, on Monday, I will only have 5 year old (and 43lbs the last few times he's been weighed) ds with me in the car. He sits in either the RN or the TF. When I leave my car in the shop, I'll pick up DH's 2 seater truck to take home. It's a 1994 Ford Ranger and I don't believe (I'll look later on at the manual-there is no manual in the glove box, darn) it has a tether anchor(Looked and I can't see any sort of anchor behind the seat or on the ground). I know for a fact though, it does not have air bags. Because it's a 2 seater, there's no back seat for 5 year old ds to sit in. Now, if there is no tether anchor I won't have a choice but to put him in his Turbo booster (HB). I'm not totally comfortable doing this, I feel he's just so much safer in his harnessed seat but I don't really have a choice if there's no anchor. I'm also going to get DH to run to canadian tire to pick up an apramo today, just to have as a spare. I'm going to assume that the HBB is "safer" all around, than the apramo as it has no back to it. The truck has a super high headrest and a shoulder belt so I'm not worried about that.

Now, on Monday after I swap vehicles, I'll drop 5 year old ds off at grandma's and pick up 3 year old ds who is 34lbs (at least a month ago he was) and I guess my best option is to put his TF RF in the front seat of the truck. Hopefully my car will be back to me on Tuesday, as I really really hate the thought of not having that security of the back seat of the vehicle.

I guess I'm just looking for someone to tell me that yes, this is the ONLY, and best scenerio I have!

Thanks all.........

Last edited:
ADS

dragonfly8

The Radian isn't a 45 lb. limit is it? If so you could rear-face.

My RN only RF to 40lbs. And for 3 year old DS I'd choose the TF over the RN to RF in the truck only because the RN can be a HUGE pita sometimes.....as most of us know;)

I updated my original post with the year....it's a 94 ranger, no manual that I can see anywhere, and as far as I can tell, no tether anchor.

mommycat

For a short trip, and with him sitting right next to you so it's easy to monitor any bad positioning, DS will be just fine in the booster, even the backless assuming good fit. (DS1 rides in the Harmony backless now and again and it fits him very well. The clip when properly adjusted keeps the seatbelt on his shoulder even when he moves around a bit. Hopefully the Apramo does just as well. The HB TB is just excellent all around.) Hope someone with a latch manual will answer the TT question. Is Ford one of those that has the webbing loops for TAs? Did you see anythign like that at the window ledge/top of rear seat? But if they aren't there he should be ok, assuming he can follow your instructions and manage to sit still. Have you booster trained at all before?

With no air bags, the RF TF for the little one is right on. Double check his weight to make sure he is not way over the limit all of a sudden.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC