Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Carseat Crazy

Sienna or Tahoe for 8 passengers

We'll probably have 5 rf and 1 ff. Is one a lot safer? Easier to load kids? More cargo room?

Thanks!

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Re: Sienna or Tahoe for 8 passengers

Quote Originally Posted by Melodiya99 View Post
    We'll probably have 5 rf and 1 ff. Is one a lot safer? Easier to load kids? More cargo room?

Thanks!
    The Sienna has much more cargo room, especially with 6 aboard. With car seats, the Tahoe's lack of 2nd row legroom and knees up in the air of the 3rd row aren't really a negative, so it's just really whether you need the extra cargo room of the Sienna. There are lots of nitpicky pros and cons to each that would be important for day to day stuff, but those details depend on model years you're talking about.

Jason

Carseat Crazy

Thanks, that's really helpful! I think we'd appreciate the cargo room. We haven't seen either in person, so it's hard to know what kind of vehicle actually has more room

Senior Community Member

My sister has a Tahoe (not the XL) and it was cramped when we had 5 kids in it last summer. I know we could have gotten one more child in the third row but it would have been tight. The trunk was packed full just for day trip to the beach.

I'm so not into vans, but in your case I'd go van. Without thinking twice.
    dd1 - 8y6m, hbb PWSGL
    dd2 - 7y3m, hbb PWSGL
    dd3 - 4y3m, ff advocate/frontier xt

Quote Originally Posted by canadiangie View Post
    I'm so not into vans, but in your case I'd go van. Without thinking twice.

I have a yukon (basically the same thing as a tahoe) and the cargo space not cool (we got it when we had two kids now we have three and I'm wishing for a sienna...)

If you're considering a tahoe, there's no reason not to get the suburban or yukon XL instead for the cargo space! We have a Suburban and it holds 6 car seats well and has lots of cargo space, but it takes a long time to get that many kids buckled in there!

But really, for loading that many kids in, a minivan is SOOOO much easier!
    CPST & Stay at home Cake-decorating/Scrapbooking/Photo Mom to
    Kyrie-10 in Harmony NBB & 5 stepping
    Trey-7 in Monterrey/parkway HBB
    Carter 12/2012 RF in Foonf & Rhett 10/2014 in ClickConnect 40

It's not even close. Minivan has WAAAAYYYYY more room. Like Nisha said, if you insist on a suv, it's gotta be the Suburban size, but then you're talking a MUCH bigger vehicle overall. Still, if you're loading kids or old people, it's just easier with a minivan with the sliding doors and all that.

The others are right the Tahoe has ZERO cargo room with the third row in use. If you get a Suburban or Yukon XL you'll have a ton of cargo room with the third row in use.

In your case I think you would be much better off with a minivan.

Sienna (or other minivan) for sure. I've had to load kids in both a Sienna and a Tahoe and it's much easier in the minivan, plus as others have said, the cargo room is better. I hate trying to get Katelyn & Owen in their seats in the Tahoe (2010) their parents have because they are in MR's and they sit up so high that it's a PIA to load them. As it is, I nearly bonk their heads every time trying to get them in. Nour & Zain's parents have a Sienna and it is so much easier.

Marsha, Godmother to Nour & Zain (8) and grandparent (aka "Nanny Marsha") to Ethan (8), Katelyn & Owen (7), and Chase, (6)

CPS Technician
    I agree with the others. We had cargo issues with our minivan and went suv. We went suburban!! It was the only way to get our double stroller out at our destination. We LOVED our suburban, but now that we are done with strollers we went back to a minivan.

Stefanie - CPStech in Iowa
    Stefanie - CPST in Iowa
    mom to dd 11,/00, ds 11/01, ds 3/06, dd 04/07, dd 08/12 (radian rxt) ds 12/13 (evenflo sureride)

So 6 kids and 2 adults?

The previous generation Sienna (2004-2010) may work better for you than a new one. The 8th seat option is a much bigger and more functional 8th seat than the mini-seat in the 2011 model.

The 2011 Honda Odyssey has a larger 8th seat like the older Sienna CE and LE 8-passenger option. The one in the Odyssey is standard in EX trim and higher. I think the only thing that is really comparable for 8 functional seats and decent cargo space is a full size SUV like Suburban, but of course you lose a lot of fuel economy that way if that is an important factor.