Britax rep saying to only rearface to 2 years...

sholoulou

So I stopped by my local store to look at the difference in the radian and frontier. I mentioned to the store clerk that my dd would only have 8 more lbs to rearface in the radian. She told me no only to 2 years. I told her no, you rf to the weight limit. The clerk said that their Britax rep just came to train them all and that you only rf to 2 yrs because there would be no room for their legs. She said the rep sad that their legs would be injured. Sooo after about 5 - 10 mins the clerk comes back and says that she just phoned the rep and they told her that they just told them all 2 yrs because everyone wants to turn their child at 1 yr. Boy! What wrong information.

ADS

andre149

Sounds to me like maybe Britax is realizing that their seats don't match up to the competition for rf time... and saying stupid things to try to convince people that they don't "need the extra height or weight" of a different seat. :thumbsdown:

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
On the other hand, Britax is the one who put the two year and 25 pound minimum on their Frontiers when they started coming out a few years ago so that people wouldn't forward face their kids before two. That was in 2008 or 2009.

Wendy

luckyclov

On the other hand, Britax is the one who put the two year and 25 pound minimum on their Frontiers when they started coming out a few years ago so that people wouldn't forward face their kids before two. That was in 2008 or 2009.

Wendy
Yeah, that.

And unless it came directly from the mouth of the "Britax rep", it's all a little something I like to call heresay. Certainly not ALL, but many "store clerks" don't hold a lot of competence in the area of child seats/recs/safety, even those specifically assigned to that section of the store. Additionally, Britax convertibles tend to fit in a larger variety of vehicles due to the shell size (RF'ing convertibles are a big issue for some people in smaller vehicles), but in turn, yeah, you *may* get less RF time in it. My kid will likely make it to 3 in a MA70 and he's not a shrimp. I think that's awesome. Plus, my LATCH straps don't loosen and it's a lot easier to install.

Britax sales aren't hurting - you know, that whole "bubble" thing - so I can't see why anyone would fluff child safety facts to turn someone off another brand, especially when they have more product to offer (20" top slots, 85 lb weight limit, convert to tallest HBB on market, 9 year expiry on the FR85, for example).

scariestone

It sounds to me like what Britax said was misinterpreted by the clerk. I can't imagine them saying that if you use their seats to the RF limit, it will injure your child. And if that were the case, the boxes on convertibles would say "RF to 40lbs or 2 years".

Mom2FiveGirls

I agree it sounds like the clerk probably either made his/her own assumptions/interpretations about what was said or maybe just misunderstood. I can't imagine britax saying that. Maybe they were trying to make the point that kids should stay RFing until at least 2, but didn't make it very clear?

My 3.5 year old (4 in June) will definitely make it past her 4th birthday RFing in the MA70 and has plenty of leg room (she doesn't complain at all...I tried her in the radian RFing to see if she liked that better and she insists the MA70 is more comfortable...).

Cilia

And my 4 year and 8 month old still fits rf in her RA50. She has quite a was to go on height, but only a couple of oz in weight.

But it is good if they are trying to push 2 years min to rf...

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Hm, well, my kid was RF in the Britax Wizard & original Boulevard until 4 yrs at 95th percentile height, carrying her height in her legs ... so, whatever :whistle:

Sent from my iPhone using Car-Seat.Org ~ please disregard typos!

sholoulou

I am thinking the clerk must have got it wrong too. I am glad she called the rep while I was there. She still had the phone in her hand when she said the rep told her it would not hurt to rf to the seat weight limit but that they say to 2yr so parents will rf at least until 2. I was also asking about the eps foam on the frontier vs the radian before she called the rep. I did'nt know that frontier only had eps on the head area. The clerk said that is because kids do not need it when in a booster. I then showed her that a monterey had it places the frontier didn't. She asked the rep about that also and the rep said that britax didn't need the eps foam on their seats except in the head SIP. I think I should take the tech course for myself. Honestly, it leaves me a bit confused.

Baylor

This stuff makes me crazy. If you don't know.. don't give definite declarative statements to people.. Don't correct people if they are clearly using the seat to the limits. Are they really going to be responsible for a child being placed FF when he has more room to safely RF?

Why would you want to take that burden?

Pixels

... and they told her that they just told them all 2 yrs because everyone wants to turn their child at 1 yr. Boy! What wrong information.

It sounds to me like the rep said RF to (at least) 2 now, instead of 1 and the store person interpreted it to mean RF to (only) 2.

Kat_Momof3

in regards to the frontier/monterey discussion... the monterey is the only booster I can think of (there might be ONE more) on the market that has eps foam anywhere besides the headrest... each company decides how much difference in safety it makes where they can put it and then where they end up putting it is based on that.

JMacSanDiego

I have the Radian XTSL and my son is still RF at 3 years old. His legs are quite long, so he's kind of scrunched up. My parents and friends keep saying how tall he is, and they seem to think that his legs may be uncomfortable. But they also know about how important ERF is. They also know that he's not 45 pounds yet, nor is his head an inch (or closer) to the top of the seat shell. In fact he's got about 4 more inches or so before he reaches that.
002-2.jpg

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC