Got a new SUV, now my 3 year old wants to ride FF

TiaxMarie

DH just had to get the new Pilot with the RES (rear entertainment system) but it's a flip down from the ceiling kind, and can only be used forward facing. In my old vehicle, we had after martket head rest dvd players. We just installed them on the back seats facing the kids, instead of on the front driver and passenger seats. It worked perfectly.

Well, now Sophie is asking to ride FF so she can use the dvd player. She wouldn't have even know it was there but DH showed it to her. We never really used the other ones for short trips, only when we traveled to his parents house 5 hours away.

We were almost in a serious accident yesterday on the way to the dealership, not our fault, but it was very scary and I was sooo glad both my girls were rear-facing. I told her she had to wait until her birthday and then we would talk about it. Now she keeps asking if its her birthday yet.

Any advice on how to explain to her that it is safer for her to be rear-facing and she doesnt need to watch the dvd player in the car?

ADS

zactayaus

We have a flip down dvd player in both of our vehicles. We use a light weight plastic mirror (I know they aren't recommended) made for seeing your RF'er.:whistle: We angle it so that DS3 can see the movie and it works great.:thumbsup:

ETA: The mirror is tethered as well as DS3's seat so not much chance that they'd collide in a crash.

babyherder

Can you put the aftermarket dvd players back? I'd just tell her facing the back of the car is safer for her and that the dvd player is not an option. It stinks but that's the way it is.

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
A mirror would be perfect.

FWIW, we did a huge long road trip with 12+ hour days in the car when my girls were 1.5 and 3, and they were both RF. They would just tip their heads and look up at the DVD screen. Every time we stopped we would alternate seats (they were both in RF EFTAs) so they wouldn't get a crick in their necks ;)

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
In my Ody, the screen flips back quite a way, the girls have always just looked up like Anna's kids did to see it :D
I guess I'd go for a mirror or put the old system back on...

TiaxMarie

Thanks for the advice! I do have a mirror I'll try. And I'll see how far it flips out and if she could just see it from where she is sitting. DH didn't take the old ones out of my other vehicle, so they went with it as a trade in.

Great advice! Thanks!

wavegal

I have a pilot with RES and we use a mirror to see it, my ds has no problems, he can also see it with craning his head if outboard too. (our seat is tethered as well as the mirror)

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
I thought the mirror sucked. I started a thread on why it doesn't work well for my kids or me if you want to search for it. Obviously the solution works for other kids though, so it's definitely worth trying because it's such a cost effective solution.

If you've got an iPad, iPhone/iPod Touch or any other smartphone that can play video, that works better than a mirror IMO.

DaniChildcare

I would explain to her that the DVD player is only for long trips, and offer her something else to do in the car. If you are taking a long trip before her 4th birthday i would suggest putting the old one on for that trip.

TXDani

Senior Community Member
My kids always just looked up over the top of their carseat if they wanted to see the tv.

henrietta

Can you give her a leapster or something similar that she can play with instead or a kid's music player? That may work.

GL!

henrietta

icnee

I showed my kids crash test videos from you tube and they have never given me a problem.

They will explain to people why they back face even my 3yo says it.

TiaxMarie

She has decided it's okay that she can't really see it as long as she can hear the movie through the radio. She only watches a certain number of movies and knows them all by heart. She can see it if she turns her head enough, and I did put the tethered mirror up so she could see it that way as well. I'm glad to be keeping her rear facing for now! :thumbsup:

CrunchyMaineMama

Senior Community Member
I'm glad she's not giving you any more trouble. Maybe after she & J meet and have a play date you can show her that J still rear-faces as well. It'll be nice for them to see someone their own age still rearfacing :D

J-max

CPST Instructor
We only watch our built in DVD player if we are going to be driving for an hour or more. I have tried the mirror, but my dd#4 did not like it. She prefers to sit right under it and tip her head back and watch it upside down.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC