Radian...straps closer together at neck area?

supercrunch

We just moved my dd into a Radian65 over the weekend, and the straps seem so close on the sides of her neck. It is driving her insane (not to mention the fact that the velcro tabs are also annoying her arms), but she is trying to be a trooper for me:eek:
(What I haven't told her is that if the Radian is still driving her absolutely mad after a few weeks, we'll pass it on to her little brother and get her a Parkway :cool: ...if I told her that now, she'd instantly hate hate hate the Radian without an attempt to get used to being in a harness ft again)

I was just wondering if the straps seem much closer together than the average seat, or if it's just us.

I would think that with my dd being such a stringbean, it could be an issue for other kids.

ADS

arly1983

Its not just you...

Our jackson got to the point he screamed and clutched at his neck when we put him in the radian. We had to get rid of it.

Never had that problem in any other seat...

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
We just moved my dd into a Radian65 over the weekend, and the straps seem so close on the sides of her neck. It is driving her insane (not to mention the fact that the velcro tabs are also annoying her arms), but she is trying to be a trooper for me:eek:
(What I haven't told her is that if the Radian is still driving her absolutely mad after a few weeks, we'll pass it on to her little brother and get her a Parkway :cool: ...if I told her that now, she'd instantly hate hate hate the Radian without an attempt to get used to being in a harness ft again)

I was just wondering if the straps seem much closer together than the average seat, or if it's just us.

I would think that with my dd being such a stringbean, it could be an issue for other kids.

They are VERY close together, and SK is proud of that design. My dd can't stand it...it's better with the harness pads on, but I've suffered a long drive with her complaining about them nonstop...poor kid :(

smurf

Ooooh, so that's what DD has been complaining about....
No luck for her, no other seat will fit so it'll have to do :(

ThreeBeans

Yup, it's the seat. DS is a trouper about it, but they do pinch his neck pretty closely. The comfort pads make it a bit more tolerable for him.

skipspin

My dd never complains either, and she has two other seats she sits in on a regular basis. Go figure. We do have the comfort pads on.

Leila

My ds does not complain about them. *scratches head*

My dd never complains either, and she has two other seats she sits in on a regular basis. Go figure. We do have the comfort pads on.

My son doesn't complain either, which really surprises me. He's very sensory defensive about things near his neck, fabrics and just about anything that touches his body, just like his Mama...but these straps don't bug him in the least.

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
Aiden's never complained about the straps around his neck, although we also use the comfort pads. He loves his new seat and loves the extra shoulder room... he never complained about the lack of shoulder room in the MA until he experienced the extra shoulder room in the Radian. Now, if I were to try and get him to sit in the MA, he won't... says it's too "squishy".

Loves2sing

I never noticed the straps being to close until I saw this thread. Mind you jenna isn't even 2 yet, but in the pictures I took of her in it the other day, I now noticed that they are quite close to her neck. maybe that's why I put the cover straps up so high, without even noticing.

becca011906

Senior Community Member
they are close together and my ds wouldn't be able to stand it very long, abby is a tall think child so maybe that's why she doesn't notice, but also why she doesn't like the chest clip quite as high as it should be, but really IMO as close as the straps are the chances of them slipping of her sholders, would not happen.

twokidstwodogs

That very feature stopped us from buying it when DD outgrew her MA slots. She complained about them as soon as she sat in it, and I could see that they were cutting into her neck. She had always refused to use the comfort pads on the MA, so I didn't think that feature would help us much.

sixboys

Does anyone know if the Radian 80 has wider slots? I was going to suggest that seat to my sister for her very big 3 year old who she currently has riding in a booster. She'd like to switch him to a five point but she drives a little Mazda 3 hatchback and it's a pretty small backseat and a Regent won't work.

becca011906

Senior Community Member
I don't think the 80 would be any wider at all, b/c the shell size/shape of the two seats are exactly the same... excpet the steel metal is stronger in the 80 or somthing like that.... it would have to be a very very heavy 3 year old to need to get the 80 vs the 65, really b/c of the hight of a child they will likely out grow it before 65# by hight vs weight EVEN though the radian says they can be used when the sholders are over the top of the slots when FFing, it's not usally comfy for a child let alone a larger child, my ds is average size and wouldn't tollerate the seat full time now that his sholders are over the top but short trips he will if i ask him to, he's easy going though too.

Also i was pretty sure that a regent will work in almost all cars, i'm not afamily with the mazda3 but i think i've seen other mention it on here so maybe someone eles can help out there...

Starlight

Senior Community Member
My ds used to complain, but doesn't anymore.

I do have some lovely cowmoo strap covers on his seat though. (Yes, I made a parental decision to steal ds2's strap covers for ds1's seat. I don't have matching strap covers... I don't know why?)

They are very close together.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC