Country Moose Kids not allowed to ship Baby Jogger to Canada

lovinwaves

Oh sorry, I guess I had my mind too much in the gutter to realize you were asking me a real question :whistle: We just did. LOL I don't remember specifics but I think once the canada customer received it they had to pay a fee? We even tried marking it as a gift but they still had to pay. Sorry, not sure how all that works. They still got their 20% off. I know there were some members from here possibly in canada that ordered from me. Can't remember who now...

ADS

lovinwaves

If it were me, I would start contacting some small boutiques in the US and tell them you want to buy a BJ at 20% off and ask them to ship to Canada. Tell them you will take care of the extra shipping costs.

northernmommy

Oh sorry, I guess I had my mind too much in the gutter to realize you were asking me a real question :whistle: We just did. LOL I don't remember specifics but I think once the canada customer received it they had to pay a fee? We even tried marking it as a gift but they still had to pay. Sorry, not sure how all that works. They still got their 20% off. I know there were some members from here possibly in canada that ordered from me. Can't remember who now...

Well, it would be a pretty nice gift for the reciever, yup. And trust our government to throw a tax onto imported BJs. They don't want anyone to be happy and relaxed, and able to enjoy recieving their BJ, do they? :whistle: :duck:

April

Omg, someone needs to get Sarah a date with that OT she's crushing on. I think she might be lonely.
Posted via Mobile Device

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
The Canadian prices already include all the import duties and shipping costs to get the stroller to Canada. It's also not uncommon for Canadian dealers to pay a higher wholesale price that U.S. dealers. Technically, when you order one directly from the U.S. (assuming you could), you should be charged duty plus GST/PST/HST. When it shows up and customs only charged you the taxes, you get a great deal. If you get charged the duty on the made in China item, your savings can be negated fairly quickly.

So, it's totally possible the Canadian price is still higher than it should be, but it's also possible it's actually correct. It's not a straight dollar to dollar conversion due to the extra costs for dealers to get them here.

Shanora

Best thread ever!! When ever I see baby jogger shortened to the initial...I always have dirty thoughts.

At any rate it doesn't surprise me that you'd pay more. Paypal has YET to catch up to the change in dollar amounts and I am STILL paying below par for stuff out of the US

April

Well, I haven't imported anything in over two years...
For all I know, "regulations" have changed considerably.

:crying: So sorry about that Sarah. Maybe you should rethink living on a SECLUDED ISLAND!!!

Are the BJ strollers made in China? If they were made in the US they'd be exempt from duty under NAFTA.

Still, easiest option I see here is to have it shipped to the PO Box in Blaine and then get Nicole to drive it across. Cause she's awesome about that. Then you just have to bring her Diet Pepsi and White Spot when you pick it up from her and you're pretty much even.
Posted via Mobile Device

Keeanh

The Canadian prices already include all the import duties and shipping costs to get the stroller to Canada. It's also not uncommon for Canadian dealers to pay a higher wholesale price that U.S. dealers. Technically, when you order one directly from the U.S. (assuming you could), you should be charged duty plus GST/PST/HST. When it shows up and customs only charged you the taxes, you get a great deal. If you get charged the duty on the made in China item, your savings can be negated fairly quickly.

So, it's totally possible the Canadian price is still higher than it should be, but it's also possible it's actually correct. It's not a straight dollar to dollar conversion due to the extra costs for dealers to get them here.

Country Moose Kids pays all the border fees. All you have to do is pay YOUR sales tax through them and they'll make sure that's all you pay to get the stuff to your door. It's a really good deal on some things.

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
Country Moose Kids pays all the border fees. All you have to do is pay YOUR sales tax through them and they'll make sure that's all you pay to get the stuff to your door. It's a really good deal on some things.

This is new then. I have ordered 2 strollers and a bike from them and they shipped USPS. Which is luck of the draw at customs wether or not you get charged duty. Taxes were paid to postal carrier/office.

ETA: and weird, my account is no longer on their web site and I've spent around $1500 there. I created a new account and added something to my cart, and there was an option for expedited shipping with "no broker". In the past I've had many conversations with the owner about shipping and brokerage fees with couriers and talked to her about only shipping USPS. She somehow misunderstood the fees and for awhile had on her web site that you would only be charged taxes through postal service. Which is not true, it's just luck of the draw as to what gets assessed through customs and what doesn't. Anyhow, I believe she is saying there are "no brokerage fees". Brokerage fees are the fees couriers charger to broker the duty and taxes for you (i.e. collect them and remit them to the Canadian government). Canada Post does actually charge a brokerage fee, it's just super cheap ($5 or $8 depending on service). From previous conversations, she doesn't understand that the Canada Post fee is a brokerage fee.

I continued through the checkout process, selected the "no broker" shipping option and my taxes were still $0. So she is not collecting GST/PST from me.

My guess is that the free shipping is just 2 different USPS options and she's staying "no broker" to let you know you won't be charged insane courier fees. If this is true, you will be charged a Canada Post collection fee (cheap as I said earlier) and taxes and perhaps duty as well. Or maybe something like UPS air where UPS includes the brokerage fee in their shipping cost (and she's paying the shipping), but you still pay duty and taxes. Her web site also states

International Customers:Customs fees are not part of our free ground shipping offer. We do not pay these fees unless otherwise discussed.

I could be wrong and maybe she is now using some service that does collect the duty and taxes. This would be a costly venture for her as when we chatted in the past, she had said that Canadian shipping is expensive and sometimes she makes very little or nothing on Canadian purchases but she wants to continue her tradition of free shipping to Canada. If she also paid a broker to collect duty and taxes, I'd think it would start costing her money to sell to Canadians.

So, I'd just verify with her that she does indeed have a service brokering the duty/taxes. Maybe ask what service she uses as like I said before, I'm not sure she completely understands the brokerage fees, duties and taxes of shipping to Canada.

Please let me know if I am wrong though, and let me know what brokerage service she is using. I'd happily be wrong so I could go ahead and order some things. :D

Last edited:

Keeanh

Ya know what, Techno... I have no idea lol. My friend ordered a high chair through them, and said she didn't have any extra fees. I've never ordered from them. You're probably right. She was probably just lucky, like I've been with numerous ebay purchases.

U

Unregistered

So I have looked into this a bit as my wife and I are having twins and we really want a City Mini Double. It looks as though a US purchased Baby Jogger that is brought to Canada will no longer have a warranty. That alone is enough to justify the higher price. If you were to purchase it in the US and have a problem, you would have to have a US address for the manufacturers warranty and deal with all the shipping back across the border nonsense in order to get it serviced. I personally don't think that it is worth the extra hassle just to save maybe $50 in the end, once all the duty, brokerage and spent driving to the border to pick it up are factored into it.

Just my 2 cents,
Matt

QuassEE

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I suppose it comes down to how convenient it is to collect from the US (and subsequently, return to the US if there is a problem). Considering that CBSA rarely collects tax on vehicle values under $400, it seems worth the "gamble" if you're already conveniently close to the border and have a US address.

Fortunately for me--I'm 5mi north of Washington State, and I've had an address there since shortly after moving to Canada from California ;)

-N.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC