Wendy

ADS

Chameleon

That's actually an old study that has been recently updated.

Here is the link with the newer study.

http://pediatrics.aappublications.org/cgi/content/full/124/5/1281

This study reconfirms previous reports that BPB seats reduce the risk for injury in children 4 through 8 years of age by studying a greater percentage of children aged 6 to 8 years than previous studies. After adjustment for potential confounders, children who were aged 4 to 8 and using BPB seats were 45% less likely to sustain injuries than similarly aged children who were using the vehicle seat belt. Among children who were restrained in BPB seats, there was no evidence of a difference in the performance of backless versus high-back boosters. On the basis of these analyses, parents, pediatricians, and health educators should continue to recommend as best practice the use of BPB seats once a child outgrows a harness-based child restraint until he or she is at least 8 years of age.

nevaehsmommy

Ok I am utter confused now. I am doing a paper for school on why a child should use a booster seat and not go straight from 5pt to seat belt. I was going to do a speech on extended rear facing but the teacher said it would step on to many toes. I had already written the paper when she said "no"

So my confusion is this. I read the study top to bottom. My interpretation is that a NBB is no safer than a HBB. If this is true why do we rec. HBB.

I thought it was HBB provide more protection in a crash by limiting the forces on the neck and head. Also I thought I read that it protects the internal organs because of the side of the restraint.

Baylor

I just don't believe that. I see the study but I really don't believe that a child in a seat belt alone or one in a booster that has some SIP is not better.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
Ok I am utter confused now. I am doing a paper for school on why a child should use a booster seat and not go straight from 5pt to seat belt. I was going to do a speech on extended rear facing but the teacher said it would step on to many toes. I had already written the paper when she said "no"

So my confusion is this. I read the study top to bottom. My interpretation is that a NBB is no safer than a HBB. If this is true why do we rec. HBB.

I thought it was HBB provide more protection in a crash by limiting the forces on the neck and head. Also I thought I read that it protects the internal organs because of the side of the restraint.

Intuitively it seems like a high-back should be better, but we don't have the current studies saying so.

Now, I do believe that a high-back is probably more comfortable (especially for a sleeping kid) and therefore more likely to keep the kid positioned properly.

I don't see how a high-back would do a better job at neck and head forces. As for containing the body (or even the head), some thought is that side-impacts usually have a frontal element, too (getting t-boned going through an intersection), so the kid will likely fly forward of the wings before they can do any good.

Or maybe they really are better and more effective, but we don't have evidence saying so.

Oh, keep in mind, too, that a high-back is better when there's no headrest/vehicle head support. So there's that...

nevaehsmommy

Ok. So my main points. I need three.

Children is booster sustain less injury by 45%
Children's bones are to soft, so they need a booster up until puberty
Children tend to fall asleep in the car, high back help keep them in position (purely a play on a parents desire to keep them comfy)

What do you think? If has to be between 3-5 with an intro..body conclusion.

monstah

... I really don't believe that a child in a seat belt alone or one in a booster that has some SIP is not better.
Seat belt alone is more risky than any booster.
children who were aged 4 to 8 and using BPB seats were 45% less likely to sustain injuries than similarly aged children who were using the vehicle seat belt.
It's high back vs. no back that we don't have research regarding the difference in safety.

I can see how a child might be thrown out of the protection of the wings but only if it were latched. Otherwise, (I imagine) the HBB would move with the child. But, maybe that puts more load/force on the child that a low back wouldn't, making it a wash? I don't know. We need more research.

nevaehsmommy

This is just so frustrating. Both from a parents perspective and having to write the paper.

As a parent , why would I spend $40-200 on a HBB when statistically a nbb is just as good. And if a HBB is no better then a NBB then why do they sell both?

And as for having to research is is frustrating bc this is an item every child is required to have. Why is there not research.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Well, HBBs can help position the belt better. And some kids are too tall for HBBs. So there are needs for both. Remember, they're *if the child fits well*. If you have a four year old where the seatbelt comes across their face in a backless, or comes out from in front of their bodies, a high back that directs the belt properly would be beneficial.

And there are no studies on side impacts. There are videos, which make me think that in a straight on side impact a high back would be better. But we don't know how much the dummy was injured in those videos. If it was as bad as it looks.

Wendy

monstah

That's what is in the new study. The research found there was no evidence regarding the effectiveness between a HBB vs NBB.

Thank you. That's what I was thinking in my head, not sure why it came out that way... serves me right to post when the kids were asking for juice. ;)

nevaehsmommy

What class is it for and why is the teacher censoring your topic that much? Step on too many toes? :scratcheshead:

Honestly I really have just given up on this class. The teacher is a pain. If she does not want me to write about extended rear facing cool just give a passing grade. It is a communications interaction class.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC