locking seat belts, lock offs and foot prints ;)

love-pink

So right now I have a mr center in my center row of seats (06 envoy xl). I'm getting a great install but sometimes the seat belt won't lock even after numerous attempts to pull it completely out and then ratchet it back in. Sometimes it will sound like its clicking back in and feel like its locking but then about half way back in, it stops locking. Is this normal?? I had to take the mr out and put it in dhs truck (06 silverado) and his center seat took forever for me to get to lock fully tightened too.
I know I can use the metal locking clip to keep it tight but as much as I'm moving seats around that's going to be a huge huge pain :(.
I think I have an extra blue cco lock off up stairs, would it be ok to use that for the mr or a major no no?
So then I go to thinking lol which is always bad news. Maybe I should get a ma classic to use in those spots and as a back up for dd2 (she only has the mr right now). Does anyone know or have pictures of how the ma foot print compairs to the mr's? Another problem were having is dd1's tb is hard to buckle because of the mr cup holders hover right over where she needs to see to buckle her belt.
The ma's smaller footprint and lock offs would make that a perfect seat for this situation! Our network card is broken and won't be replaced until later this week so I can't search posts or pictures for comparisons :(

ADS

Pixels

You can't use the Cco's lockoff on the MyRide. You can pick up a spare locking clip from most baby stores or an expired seat, and leave the locking clip on the seatbelt in both vehicles, as long as nobody else uses that spot when the carseat is out.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
If you always move the same seat to the same location, a locking clip can be left on the seatbelt and you just rebuckle the seatbelt every time. It's actually super easy.

Do you have a locking latchplate in that position, though, perhaps?

Wendy

love-pink

They both lock at the top where the belt feeds out. Leaving a locking clip on won't be an option because when the seat isn't installed dh has coworkers that ride with him to and from work. And if the seats not installed in my car its because we need the seat for another person. :(

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
You could also use a sharpie to mark where the locking clip has to go so you can put it back on without remeasuring when you take it out. If you want to get a classic Britax for that spot due to the buckling issue, I would suggest a BLVD instead of a MA. The LATCH bars on the MA don't always play nice with the TB armrests.

That being said, your seat belts may not be locking because you are pulling them out too fast. If you pull too fast, the emergency lock engages, which in some vehicles feels just like switching the retractor, but it unlocks as soon as the tension on the belt eases up.

If pulling the belt out slowly doesn't work, GM has a good seat belt replacement warranty.

flipper68

Senior Community Member
You could also use a sharpie to mark where the locking clip has to go so you can put it back on without remeasuring when you take it out.

That being said, your seat belts may not be locking because you are pulling them out too fast. If you pull too fast, the emergency lock engages, which in some vehicles feels just like switching the retractor, but it unlocks as soon as the tension on the belt eases up.

If pulling the belt out slowly doesn't work, GM has a good seat belt replacement warranty.

:yeahthat: on the Sharpie. I usually have more trouble with a switchable unlocking when I let it retract too quickly than pulling it out too quickly. Try ssslllloooooowwwly pulling out and in and see if it holds the lock then.

What about installing it outboard? 1) You're moving it frequently 2) The empty space would make it easier to use the TB.

Usually, the recommendation is to put the least protected passenger in the ctr - that would be the passenger using the seat belt or the booster user rather than the child in a 5pt.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC