S/O Canadian Scenera

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
The Scenera safety thread got me thinking. It sounds like from that thread that the seat is just plastic with a cover, no foam anywhere on the seat? I know in Canada we have requirements for something energy aborbent in the head area. So, does the Canadian Scenera have any type of added foam in the head area? If so, I was thinking this would account for some of the higher price tag of this seat in Canada.

ADS

tiggercat

No, there is no EPS foam in CDN Sceneras. I asked my instructor previously and she said the required foam was in the cover. Our seats don't required EPS or EPP foam, it is just a certain amount of padding in the head contactile area.

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
No, there is no EPS foam in CDN Sceneras. I asked my instructor previously and she said the required foam was in the cover. Our seats don't required EPS or EPP foam, it is just a certain amount of padding in the head contactile area.
I wasn't asking about EPS foam, I was asking about *any* foam to meet the head requirements. And so it's in the cover supposedly? Are the Canadian covers more padded than the U.S. covers? Just trying to justify that extra cost here....:D

If the cover actually makes the seat meet CMVSS, this really stresses how important it is that parents don't swap the cover to an aftermarket one.

tiggercat

I don't have a Scenera anymore or I'd take a photo and see if we could find someone to compare with a US model. Actually, I might be able to do that at a store tomorrow, if I get a chance.

amelia222

Yep, the back part of the cover has foam about 1" thick and the sides and seat have really thin foam. If you take off the cover it is just the plastic shell.

QuassEE

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I do believe that the padding requirement is met by foam integrated into the cover on the Scenera, but I don't have one to verify. Trudy would know for sure.

-Nicole.

tam_shops

I thought the extra foam was something needed for SIP, not *regular* head protection...

While you're at it, can you explain the Radian:
Canadian $330
http://www.tjskids.com/sunshine-kids-2010-radian-seat-ventura-p-5770.html

American $240
http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3819509

I know the TRU one is on *sale* but we don't have *much* in the way of sales here for the better seats....Drives me crazy when we live so close to the border that I can't save the $90 myself! And, I know that's not the best ever TRU sale I've seen! Oh, our TRU doesn't carry RN anymore, they used to...

tam

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I thought the extra foam was something needed for SIP, not *regular* head protection...

While you're at it, can you explain the Radian:
Canadian $330
http://www.tjskids.com/sunshine-kids-2010-radian-seat-ventura-p-5770.html

American $240
http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3819509

I know the TRU one is on *sale* but we don't have *much* in the way of sales here for the better seats....Drives me crazy when we live so close to the border that I can't save the $90 myself! And, I know that's not the best ever TRU sale I've seen! Oh, our TRU doesn't carry RN anymore, they used to...

tam

The foam is needed to meet compression/deflection standards. CMVSS requires that any area in a seat that can be contacted by a child's head in a collision be able to "give" a certain amount to help reduce the forces transferred to the child's head.

I know that there is a difference in the amount of foam in the Canadian radian's and the US radian. I'm not sure if there are other differences or not - lots of times there are differences, they're just not obvious.

(Sorry Nicole, I've never closely looked at the cover on the Scenera.)

tam_shops

Thanks! There REALLY is a difference. I'm surprised, I'd always heard that it was the same seat w/ a different sticker...Not sure I'd justify charging $100 for a piece of foam, but nice to know the seats are actually different, when I see them on sale like that!

Why don't they add that foam into the American seats also. Cost? or the difference in safety, from what I've gathered so far, each accident is different & what benefits one, causes problems during another...

tam

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC