Car seat Color?

momtobe2007

When you buy a new seat do you match the colors to your car? I'm about to buy dd a Fr85 and I cannot decide on the color. I'm not 'in love' with any of the colors, but, originally, I was going to get the Canyon (black/tan). But, last night, I was thinking of getting the Pink Sky (black/pink) for her. Our car is dark cherry exterior and a light tan interior. So, really, none of the colors exactly match/coordinate. I like the cow print, but dh doesn't. :rolleyes:

So...should I get the pink or the canyon?! The pink would totally clash with our dark cherry exterior though. Do you take that into consideration when choosing a color? I suppose I could go dark (black/gray) and get Rushmore or Onyx. IDK!!

Also, I was 'thinking' that ds (whose only 3 months) could, potentially, use this seat 3 years down the road. Should I even be thinking about that at this particular moment?! DD would only be 6, so she'll still need a seat - so I probably shouldn't even look that far down the road. :D

ADS

karlatta

You'll get lots of different opinions.

I don't match my seats to anything else. My car is gold with a beige-ish interior, and I think every seat I own is gray or gray-toned. I think the only time I'd consider a car seat color would be if it were overly boyish or girly, just because my kids switch seats quite a bit.

I will admit that I do like that all of my current seats sort of match. (Matrix Nautilus, two gray Radians, and a Granite Marathon - they're all black and gray)

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
I try to match when possible, but that isn't always possible. :)

Personally, I would get the Canyon seat (Cowmoo is my favorite, but your DH doesn't like it). I prefer gender-neutral seats, though. :eek:

I wouldn't worry about what your DS can use in a few years. THere will be new technology then and we don't know what kind of cool seats will exist at that time. Besides, your DD will probably still need the Frontier either as a harnessed seat or as a booster.

Baylor

I try to match when possible, but that isn't always possible. :)

Personally, I would get the Canyon seat (Cowmoo is my favorite, but your DH doesn't like it). I prefer gender-neutral seats, though. :eek:

I wouldn't worry about what your DS can use in a few years. THere will be new technology then and we don't know what kind of cool seats will exist at that time. Besides, your DD will probably still need the Frontier either as a harnessed seat or as a booster.

If they are old enough and there is a choice of colors I ask them what they like. If there is only one seat that I know is the right one for us.. whatever they have is what I buy.

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
If they are old enough and there is a choice of colors I ask them what they like. If there is only one seat that I know is the right one for us.. whatever they have is what I buy.

LOL! You are a lot nicer than I am. :p My motto is, "I buy the seat, I bought the car, and I choose the color." :p

I do not own a single pink seat, nor do I own a single seat with characters on it. Every seat is neutral and one that I chose. :D

Baylor

LOL! You are a lot nicer than I am. :p My motto is, "I buy the seat, I bought the car, and I choose the color." :p

I do not own a single pink seat, nor do I own a single seat with characters on it. Every seat is neutral and one that I chose. :D

Yeah, All I care about is the safe aspect.. After that.. I am good!

urchin_grey

Mine actually kind of match, but it was mostly by accident. I got our Cranberry TF back when our Saturn was our primary vehicle. Its dark red with grey interior. Then we bought a van and its like a light silvery blue with grey interior. After we got the van, I wound up getting a Flora Radian. Its got some blue on it that matches the exterior of the van. Then I got a spare cover for the TF and its dark blue. Next time the TF gets dirty though, I'm sure I'll just put the Cranberry cover back on it and it'll clash pretty bad, but I'm okay with that. :cool:

When we get pregnant again though, I do plan on getting a Coccoro to match the Radian. There are like 4 different colors on it so I'll have a few to choose from. :cool:

gsdguenter

I try to buy colors that I know DD will like (she loves pink). But, I did buy a cowmoo just cause I liked it :)

I like the seats in each car to match though so I have them arranged like this:

DH's car: 2 malibu RNXTs

My car: 1 MR (some pink/brown color that I can't remember the name of) and 1 butterfly MA

My mom's car: these don't match and it drives me crazy! 1 cowmoo MA and 1 flora RNXTSL.

Then we have the extra black CA. Hmmm, I might switch the RNXTSL out with the CA and then my mom would have matching seats. BUT, I hate the CA and wouldn't want a RN sitting around unused.

jourdysmom

CPST Instructor
I bought my Marathons to match my van interior (tan)...

Then we bought a new van... gray interior and I cannot stand that they don't match LOL

christineka

I don't match anything, least of all car seats. If the child is old enough to voice an opinion, I let them choose. If the child is going to be in the seat long enough to get to where they will voice an opinion, I try to pick a cover I think they'd like. Otherwise, I consider price and what cover I like.

Sarah62008

Senior Community Member
At the moment I buy what colors I like and colors I think DS will like down the road. If he was old enough to voice an opinion I'd let him. I like not matching my car. Kid stuff is supposed to be fun! I wish they had covers with characters and animals or stuff instead of just solid covers or geometric patterns. I'd kill for an "alphabet soup" style cover or a ''baby jungle animal'' cover for a convertible. I almost want to buy the Graco Mickey Mouse infant seat just because it's Mickey Mouse.

Currently DS rides in a CALX in Harvest/Rio Grande(Orange/Brown and Green/Brown) and his MyRide wears Spiral(I hate this cover but it was the only one at BRU), and Barlett(Brown/Black and Light Blue/Grayish)

KaysKidz

Senior Community Member
I have a red suburban with dark grey interior. I have 2 canyon FR85's and they look great in it. I also have an Ashley Floral MA in there and I think it looks fine too. I put one of the FR85's in dh's truck which has a tan interior and it looks awesome in it.

leighi123

When I got my radian, I let ds pick which color he wanted. I dont care if it matches the car or not! We have nitro (red/black), and the inside of the car is grey, outside is green.

ETA: I'd rather have a carseat stand out from the car's interior, so other people can see it more when Im putting him in there RFing.

AtTheSouthDam

I let the kids choose but I have a gray interior so most seats go fairly well. DD1 liked bright and girly as she can get so she rides in a pink monterey. Her back up seat is also pink :rolleyes:
DD2 chose the gray young sport specifically to match the car. I chose the princess RN which she says is "okay".

I don't think Pink Sky will clash horribly. If it makes her happy with er seat and she'll enjoy it longer, why not?

Holly

I've done some of both. In the past, my covers were random and mismatched and I didn't care and didn't try to match them with my car.
They all match now though, and I like it that way but it's more to difuse fighting over seats than it is to match (I do love the way it looks though!)

These are all the seats and covers I've had before, all in cars with a grey interior (first a Mitsubishi Galant, then a Toyota Camry)

Blue denim evenflo bucket
Grey comfortsport
Brown checkered snugride
Brown checkered scenera
Tan Radian
Circus dots (brown with tan, red, dark brown etc spots) FPSVD
Cowmoo cover for FPSVD
Manhattan (grey plush) cover for radian
Blue checkered keyfit
Another manhattan radian
Sutton RA50 (grey/black with colored stripes)
Onyx RA50 cover

So, it hasn't always matched, but I like it best when it does.
Aside from wanting 2 radians to help fit 3 across, I also wanted the girls to have the same seats in the same color to minimize fighting, they have the same torso height and almost the same weight and they fit the same in the seats so they sometimes sit in each other's seats.
I got the onyx RA50 cover to match the radians but also because I love Onyx and the feel of the cover and wasn't so fond of the sutton which I only got because of an amazing sale.

Oh, I do have a brown and green turbo booster. I got it because it was on sale and I wanted a spare in case we needed it (we have a few times).
I like it but it's hard to buckle with the arm rests in the way and with 3 across. I want to get a different booster when Hannahn switches full time. I'll pick which booster I want her to use and I'd like to get grey but I'll let her say if she wants a different color. She'll likely be in a booster long past the Utah law requirement so I figure may as well let her decide what she wants, maybe it will help her to not fight about it as she gets older and her friends aren't riding in boosters anymore. Boosters are also cheaper than harnessed seats so I won't mind if it's not passed down to her brother eventually.

Kat_Momof3

I try not to have it clash... how about that?

other than that, I try to let my kids pick once they have a say and before that, I go with what I like.

MarathonMama

Does it count that the RNs grey straps match the interior of my car, but the Flora cover doesn't? :whistle:

To be honest, I buy whatever cover I prefer. In a perfect world the seats would match eachother rather than my car ... but that will never happen in a way that suits our needs (esp for a 3 across). I REFUSE to buy boring black/grey/tan seats - I would much rather have our Malibu, Flora, Cowmoo combination :eek:

amelia222

I don't care about matching the seat to the car, but part of my choice of radian covers was which one matches most of dd's outfits :whistle:

After I has narrowed it down to two I let her choose. Every time she saw Petal she jumped up and down and said yayaya so that's the one we got.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC