Question car seat in Toyota

M

MomKaren

Hi knowledgeable people, I have a few questions.

We are looking to buy a convertible car seat for our 2003 Corolla. We also might move the seat into the back seat of our 2005 Toyota Tacoma (pick up) but it will primarily be in the Corolla. I went to a car seat clinic last year and found out that car seats can be installed in the Corolla with the lap belts in either of the three back seats, OR if behind the drive or passenger, I can use the UAS. We are currently using a SnugRide32 with a base and lap belt in the middle.

Our child is nine months old and in August weighed over 22 pounds. I would like to keep her rear-facing as long as possible.

I think a convertible will be too big to fit in the middle seat, so does anyone know if it's safer to install behind the driver or the passenger? I am thinking in terms of side-impact safety.

Is there any seats that can be recommended that fit the Corolla so I can narrow down my search?

I was also at a local kiddie's store in BC that sells car seats. The employee I was talking to told me to install the seat in the middle with the UAS but I know that's wrong. I told her that my car seat clinic told me that was an incorrect install but she didn't really care. So she's telling all kinds of general public to install their seats wrong. Should I call the head office or the store? Is this a common thing for employees to give out wrong info? I don't want to be nosey so I wonder if anyone could offer any advice.

Thanks in advance for any input.
MomKaren

ADS

QuassEE

Moderator - CPST Instructor
ketchupqueen on here has (had?) the same vehicle as you, and she posts quite often about her rear-facing seat successes :) If you search the forums here for Toyota Corolla, you will get a lot of information.. Then just narrow things down to which seats are available in Canada.

You're right--no LATCH in the centre of your Corolla. I assume you went to TJs Kids? They have the absolute worst reputation for giving out misinformation to parents, and they do NOT have trained technicians on staff. If you can make your way to Baby's World in Coquitlam then you will at least get accurate information. You'll want your Tacoma there, though, since that's actually going to be the more difficult install, IMO. The Corolla won't be nearly as tricky as you think, since your child will be more upright than the 45 degrees a newborn or younger infant is at.

I'm in Delta if you need assistance.

-Nicole.

Actually, convertibles usually fit better in the center cuz then the tops don't run into the headrests or anything.

I've stuck a Recaro Como rear facing in the middle of a Corolla (your body style) with a 6 ft driver. Really only fit in the middle.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
You will be able to get a muuuch more upright install in the center, which will allow you to have the front seat(s) back, with most convertibles, because of the scoop of the seats. (There are a few that install plenty upright outboard-- like the Complete Air-- if you prefer outboard for ease of loading, or to use LATCH/UAS to install.)

I've tried oodles of car seats in the 03 Corolla. I don't recommend the True Fit as I have install/usage issues. But the Safety 1st Complete Air is an excellent fit; the Sunshine Kids Radian is a bit difficult to install in the center but a good fit center angle-wise (easier outboard but installs more reclined; in the center you won't be able to get it "rock the car solid" but that's really not necessary, I'm able to get less than 1/2 inch of movement with a few tricks); and there are lots of other options but those are the ones with the tallest shells. :)

In my current signature you can see (furthest to closest) Complete Air, Radian, and Radian rear-facing. You can see the Complete Air outboard is most upright (I was using a pool noodle to get a 30 degree angle, the regular version, not LX with the base); the center Radian is second most upright, about a 35 degree angle; the outboard Radian, I can get at about a 40 degree angle (that's the most upright it goes.) This model year doesn't have advanced airbags so touching/bracing is not prohibited, if the car seat allows it. However with that setup only one, the outboard Radian, was actually braced. The Complete Air looks braced, but is not-- there was actually room to run my hand between the back of the car seat and the seat in front.

If you select a model that allows rear-facing tethering, simply pop the cover off the inside leg of the passenger seat; there's a spot at the bottom of the track suitable for wrapping a d-ring around to create a tether point.

M

MomKaren

Wow, thanks for the detailed replies, and especially thanks to KetchupQueen!

I'm leaning towards a centre install because it's safer from a side-impact perspective. A friend has the Sunshine Radian and really likes it so I guess my next step is to see if I can go to a store that sells them and try it out in the back seat. I'll also try the Safety First Complete Air.

I'm not sure what you mean by "bracing" the car seat. I'll have to dig around this website a bit to see what that means.

And I'm thrilled that convertibles fit better than infant seats. Right now the driver seat is quite far forward and it makes it difficult for DH to drive. He's usually in the back seat with DD while I drive.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC